Where can I see a gt40 in person

Guys, I have been trying to convince my wife about getting into building a gt40 kit car replica, but she wants to see a gt40 in person; that made me realize I have never seen a gt40 in person, much less sat in one. Do you guys know of a place we’re I can go see one close or in GA? I think that should be the first step. I have seen ford GTs, cobras, but never a gt40. I do have tons of scale models of the car and an incredible desire for one.
Thanks!

In person, in real life, they are very small and cramped, hard to get in and out of and have sub par visibility.

Get a tape measure and see how far off the ground 40" is. That's the roof line. Subtract 4" for ground clearance, and you're squeezed into 36" of vertical space minus seat thickness and the fiberglass above your head.

Unless the wife is shorter than 5' and under 90 lbs, you better get one bought and in your garage before you let her see it.

We're scattered across the globe. Where are you?

Last edited:
There are some that have been on display in a number of museums across the USA. You could try looking up the following museums.

Simeone Museum
Indianapolis motor speedway museum
Shelby Heritage center
The Cobra experience.

There may be others as well.

I am in Greenville, SC and will have mine (replica!) at the Cars and Coffee in Greenville the morning of October 28. It’s about 2.5 hrs north of Atlanta. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you details. - Alan

Rob Klein

Supporter
In person, in real life, they are very small and cramped, hard to get in and out of and have sub par visibility.

Get a tape measure and see how far off the ground 40" is. That's the roof line. Subtract 4" for ground clearance, and you're squeezed into 36" of vertical space minus seat thickness and the fiberglass above your head.

Unless the wife is shorter than 5' and under 90 lbs, you better get one bought and in your garage before you let her see it.

We're scattered across the globe. Where are you?
I am 6-6 and my wife is 5-7 and we drive together all the time. Its a tight fit but I would not say it's cramped, I would say it fits.

I am in Greenville, SC and will have mine (replica!) at the Cars and Coffee in Greenville the morning of October 28. It’s about 2.5 hrs north of Atlanta. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you details. - Alan
Yes please! I’ll love to see it; I’m in Buford so it is not that far from me!

I am 6-6 and my wife is 5-7 and we drive together all the time. Its a tight fit but I would not say it's cramped, I would say it fits.
Yes, I saw one replica by Arden motors featured in Vanguard motor sales YouTube channel and the guy is not petit; he fit fine. The car was beautiful by the way.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I'm near Rock Hill, SC if you want to travel that far. There is also a Superformance dealer in Colombia, SC. Downforce Motorsports.
Good luck with your wife. I've had my car 12 years and my wife has never sat in it. The sight of a 10 gallon fuel cell on her right hip was too much for her....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I'm 6'4" and my partner 5'11" and are both reasonably broad in the shoulders. It's a tight fit, but once in, we are both quite comfortable and have travelled many hundreds of miles together in the 40.
AVID05_On the Way_Sep 2021 copy.jpeg

Yeah I failed to mention that the fuel cells are under the doors . Are racing fuel cells safer? Yeah I think my dream is to buil a replica but add a bit of sound deadening and make the interior look like the street versions ford sold; just like this beauty

I'm near Rock Hill, SC if you want to travel that far. There is also a Superformance dealer in Colombia, SC. Downforce Motorsports.
Good luck with your wife. I've had my car 12 years and my wife has never sat in it. The sight of a 10 gallon fuel cell on her right hip was too much for her....
Do they let normal mortals near their cars?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
They are cozy but road trips are in play. We've gone from Portland, OR to Redding, CA (7h) and back, 1000 miles round trip for the weekend.

Mt Shasta in the background:
ADCreHc8z-TfRc21w_md_ZTRXY4SQ_fOz8q5rhW-2baEtACQ9NdYW3Wr3yMniDbDN108hOMGdgL7GVdsuVNzB7l9GH3p0-Js7VGVdOA3uKj2xW3ZExGOoSI87Fg-e0Ya5OlpxGsbUWD6AXn6BTeFbTxnHebZwg=w1086-h611-s-no

ADCreHc5vuVL5BLCFCreJuSDq8pvVhTxYuZDH7Xp5xvDicxEvPAmBGeRbpL0YBgTEXP9Q8x4m1dMKaRKzi1R3jjnI9SUN0sQOZtt3prsQvpCEEYhSecg4PQrgZtEITnD7T29Y8p7OFSBsk4tka7Sbtg-SSex4w=w815-h611-s-no

It was about 800m of transit back and forth to Portland plus ~200m of monkey business once we were there. Great fun cars!

Alan thank you so much for letting me check out your car! I have to say it was the highlight of the show.
A7D33B0B-5CDF-49DB-A541-0654C57D7073.jpeg

Now I have to figure out how to get the little ones onboard with the idea!
84829C93-C09F-462B-9921-8D1F31030BD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 15D47796-4368-49E2-B63B-B39027247584.jpeg
    15D47796-4368-49E2-B63B-B39027247584.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 50
Back