gear change and box issues

just working through the wiring loom and correcting each circuit in turn(so far the starter circuit the hazard warning circuit and the reversing lights have all had faults)and have come across the inability to get the gear box into reverse to see if the reversing light switch would work.
on removal of the switch it works ok but cannot seem to get the box into reverse gear.It is a new box and a little stiff should I wait until I have engine running to shake those cogs? and am I correct in thinking the gear stick should be forward and to the left to achieve reverse (audi six speed box) this equates to pulling out the shaft at the box to the right and anti clock wise rotation
I had the box professionally modified but its my understanding that this only envolves lengthening the shaft and fitting a new oil seal into the reversing switch mount.
has any one else had problems with this part of the build

Hi Huw,
You are correct reverse is to the left and forward. A couple of areas you may need to check. Firstly oil: RF use Catrol Mutli trax for the transaxle. The rod mechanism at the rear join enables to postion across the flat\spine in three possible positions this may assit in getting the throw far enough out to select reverse. Also the lock nut on the small rod joining the selector rod out of the gear to the main change rod if to long when selecting reverse hits the main rod preventing reverse from being selected. Also worth checking you are getting clearance around the panelling at the gear change lever, with mine I had to file a fair bit out of the hole to get sufficient clearance to select all gears. Hope the above gives you some clues to your selection issues.

Andrew

thanks,
looks though my rod end connecting to the gear box shaft is too close to the centre of rotation of the shaft and catches will have to weld in an extension

Back