Girling brakes

Hi all :) I have been told that the early MK1 had Girling CR front brake calipers and BR rear calipers, but if that is correct, how was the handbrake connected? I just cant find any pictures that show how. Can someone help. Regards Jonny...

Brian Stewart
Supporter
If my interpretation of photographs and drawings is correct the handbrake merely pulled the foot brake pedal down via a cable.

Hi Brian. Thanks for your response :) That make sense to me. I have seen the pictures of "Petersen MKlll" in the gallery, and that car has an ekstra bracket for a mecanical handbrake unit at the wheel, but my guess is that it was necesarry for the roadcars to get registered or?
Say hi to your car from me ;-)

this is copy of the original brake pedals - note the handbrake cable. would not pass modern day requirements!

handbrake.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ron McCall built an entire separate emergency brake system for my GT40 that works very well and looks great. It wasn't easy nor cheap, but if you want photos and description PM me and I will give it to you.

Hi Peter and Jim. Thanks for your response to my questions :) I see that I will have to "modify" the original system since I really want to use the old Girling calipers ( still need some). I just dont know yet whether I want to use the Anglia or Zephyr handbrake, but I think there is plenty of time to decide that before I actually have to. Jim: thank you for offering the plans of the system you have build, and I am looking forward to the time when I will need it. I have looked at your build log with great interest and I admire those of you that have come so far with your projects. This is without doubt a major job, but it must be all worth it in the end :) my greatest respect Regards: Jonny

By the way: does anybody know how much a set of old Borranis is gona cost these days? I have actually found one (1) but if I buy it, is there a chance that I can find 3 more, are these difficult to find?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
By the way: does anybody know how much a set of old Borranis is gona cost these days? I have actually found one (1) but if I buy it, is there a chance that I can find 3 more, are these difficult to find?

Yes,

They are hard to find in good condition. Why not just buy a new set from Borrani? They produce them to order for the GT40.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
One old Borrani would make a better coffee table than a functioning wheel. Given the stress we put on these things, and the fact that new ones didn't hold up real well back in the day, I'd at least get modern ones for driving and use old ones for display items.

Back