Got the B&stard !

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Simply put, there is no space in our HM Prisons for what is deemed a minor crime.
They end up wearing an electronic tag and have to obey curfews etc but the tag becomes a badge of 'courage' amongst the low lifes.
I despair.
If I carried a firearm I would have been arrested and serving a life sentence by now - and what for ? Justifiable homicide?....

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
If other countries are as screwed up as our's, they have too many non violent criminals in jail to put the really bad ones. In the US, there are more "reefer" smokers in jail than all other crimes combined. Most or many were employed and contributing, but the powers that be feel it is better to teach them a lesson than review their idiocy.
I have a tiered perception of criminals, violent criminals and violaters of personal homes(property) are at a higher level than reefer smokers and pick pockets. I don't condone pick pocketing, I work for my income, but as wrong as that is I would prefer the space in jail be occupied by those that have illustrated a willingness to do harm to others.FIRST. In the US we are so strapped for cash that many states, including ours are letting many prisoners out early because they simply can't afford to keep them. That has lead to a bunch of violent offenders getting out that should have been kept. We are becoming a nanny nation and have put law enforcement in the position of baby sitter and not protector.
I will pass on any more reefer comments, but my State Rep campaign had legalization as one of it's platforms. It also had salary cuts for myself as well as other elected officials as well as "balancing" the budget. That was a little over 10 years ago and everyone thought I was being hysterical when I suggested that if we didn't cut spending selectively, it would all have to be cut with out any choices. Funny how accurate I was and how resistant the voters were at that time. If I ever decide to run again, I can literally use all my old campaign materials. What seemed far fetched to many, at that time, is now staring them right in the face.

Last edited:
Don't know what it's like in other developed countries but here I think the system is arse about.

It's ironic how we despise the lowlife junkie or burglar BUT thankfully we can recover from having our home broken into and items stolen.

What about the hard working, community accepted, well spoken, popular, tax paying citizen who drives after too much to drink, even with a low PCA, and hits you on a pedestrian crossing. Your whole life and future as well as your wife's, kids, employment, mortgage etc etc can be well and trully f.... They're the ones who in selfish irresponsibility should get long sentences, be rodgered or whatever. They aren't.

Don't know how to change these things though especially with pollies and the media being so good at manipulating the public with their hard on crime bs.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad they got the bastard.
This Blog By Robyn Wuth a Brisbane journalist sums up our crime and and lack of punishment system.

What kind of jail are we running here?
If the worst a prisoner can say is that it's boring, I think we can safely conclude that there's something wrong in the state of Texas.
A former prison guard reckons the only thing that's different about jail and real life is you don't get to go home at the end of the day.
In fact, he reckons jail is pretty comfortable -- more of a holiday camp, than a concentration camp.
Air Conditioned quarters, in-room television 24 hours a day, two new release movies every night, computer access -- and they are even allowed their own laptops.
Live bands are brought in to entertain and every few months there is a special family barbecue day, a penal picnic if you will.
Some have even smuggled mobile phones into their cell, so it's just like home.
This is what is wrong with the justice system.
There is no punishment, there's no reason NOT to offend.
Jail should not be a home away from home. Surely I'm not the only person out there who wants criminals to suffer, dammit.
None of this namby-pamby treat them like human beings stuff -- when I think prison, I think Dante's circles of hell.
It's a simple equation -- crime and punishment -- what happened to the punishment bit?
Aren't criminals supposed to pay for their crimes in some way?
It's not just the plush jails, it's the entire judicial system.
It's the weak suspended sentence, it's the 'no conviction recorded', it's the fine option order. I'm tired of it.
Every element of justice seems to be looking for an excuse to let people off the hook. Take this week ...
Remember Ricky James Bailey, the gutless alcoholic who smashed the glass into a bloke's face, almost severing his nose?
When the case came to court, Southport Judge Clive Wall jailed the violent little (expletive deleted ... reluctantly) for four and a half years.
Cause for celebration if you ask me -- finally a man in a robe with a big enough gavel to take a stand.
But, no. It was too much to hope for. Those lenient judges at the Court of Appeal in Brisbane think he went too far.
Did I say lenient? Gosh, that must have been a typo, I meant learned.
In their infinite wisdom (cough, cough) they cut Bailey's sentence to nine pathetic, pitiful, piteous, paltry months.
Apparently the drunken thug has had a wake-up call and his prospects for rehabilitation are promising.
Bollocks! He'll barely have time to sober up.
And how about this week's delightful court appearance of a 17-year-old girl -- her seventh since her 17th birthday. It must be a charming creature, don't you think?
She's racked up appearances for three public nuisance charges, two unauthorised dealing of shop goods, common assault, wilful damage, breach of bail, obstructing police and assault causing actual bodily harm.
She's been given the benefit of the doubt by lenient magistrates ... sorry, I meant learned, who slapped her 18 months' probation on June 18 and another 12 months' probation weeks later AND she's been fined a grand total of $840, so far.
And yet this week, here she is back again, before the court on new charges a veritable courtroom veteran.
Her mother must be so proud. So what can we determine from all this?
Did this teenager benefit from the soft option? Clearly not.
Did she learn a lesson that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated? Nope.
Did Ricky James Bailey feel the sting of being held responsible for his actions? All too briefly.
Did the Fink feel the burning fury of the law? Hardly. More like a tickle with a feather.
What they have learned is that the law is soft.
So if you've ever thought about committing a crime, go ahead.
Even if you're caught, you won't really be punished -- not really.
It's just a chance for a little R & R.
Kick your shoes off and sit a spell.
Y'all come back now! Y'hear?

And that's typical of the media and pollie BS. Highly emotive get the public angry with anecdotal spin.

What is needed is some hard and tough pollies really coming up with left field policies.

Register all druggies and medicate them on the health system. Also force them to do compulsory counselling and life skills (education, training etc) programs. Now go ballistic (gaol) on those who won't accept and/or fail random alco and urine tests.

Really chase the big dealers and get them into gaols with massive fines so they lose their possessions. Maybe the system should use those funds to contractually engage the legal experts these big dealers use, when being prosecuted. Prosecution offices need the best because there are so many "loopholes" these days.

Close down a few gaols and use the money saved to expand "front line policing" together with massive extension of home and hostel electronic programs. Make those on electronic surveillance do programs and once again if they don't, go ballistic and send them to gaol.

Gaol shouldn't be the short 2-6 months break that it is for most there. That's right pollies brag about the thousands in gaol but annually they pass double, triple or more than that number through. Do the maths. What a waste of $$$ and resources. Much better to close a few gaols and use the money saved on expanded police forces and viable, tough, community monitoring and surveillance. In this state of about 6 million the annual budget for gaols is over 1 billion dollars! So over 10 years that's...

After 30 years in the crime and court system, one thing that always struck me was the average age of criminals going through the processes. Young adults mostly male and in their 20's.

So what happened to those young adults of 10, 20 or 30 years ago? Dead, become professional criminals or just slow, as in maturation and quitting the offending merry-go-round. Yes some have died, there hasn't been a masive increase in crime so I'd suggest the last one.

Would there be a government brave enough to bring something like this to its constituents? Doubt it.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
We were "discussing" this in the office yesterday

Seems the majority thought
1) Get the boat build program going again and make prison boats to be moored 5 miles off shore - preferably in the North Sea where it will be cold and rough Once a week the food to be replenished and guard change done.
2) This will stop thing being thrown over the walls to the prisoners and if they decide to swim they probably will die trying
3) Visitation - sod off - they broke the law no rights at all until the reappear
4) Drug users - let them try and get drugs off the Aberdeen coast in a force 5 gale! They will go cold turkey and be weaned off the weeds!
5) We reconed after you got out of one of those jails you would not want to reoffend
6) Seems most were totally against the drugs people - users who commit the petty crime to pay for the habit and the dealers more so - raise the jail time for both of these with the dealers getting a mininmum of 10 yrs and reoffending is life (means life not get out sometime)

Oh and to police all this - Every schoolleaver should do a year's national service. And every person coming into the country needs to sign up for 2 years national service before anything else. Every person coming to live in the country to speak English.

In the meantime all the land jails would become empty as the prisoners were offshore. Turn them into "Council Accommodation" for the scroungers who want the council to pay for everything - they get a room and board as the prisoners used to - if they want more get off their sorry arses and get a job

Perhaps the political police on this site will start thinking I'm a radical!

How do I run for office?

Ian

Last edited:
Back