Great Moments In Racing

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
You guys have cool Dads.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Explain?

"My dad took me to Laguna Seca, my first race, I'm pritty sure a USRRC race in 1965....."

"Watkins Glen 1950, my first ever spectator event. My dad put me up a tree overlooking the street course....."

"- first race was the first Can Am at Elkhart Lake in 1967 (which my dad took me and a friend to)...."

I'm from Chicago, and hence I know how the place works. I moved to the Netherlands in 1985, and then moved to Cologne Germany in 1987 before coming to the UK in 1994. I understand Peter Collins (buried in Stone Church near Kidderminster) lived close by to here, and his American wife (?) still lives in the house.

Tony Marsh, former privateer F1 racer, lived in Kinver (where I currently reside).

Yes the Can Am was pretty neat stuff.

One last story, Nigel Mansell's brother in law worked for our company back into the early 1990s, and I told this chap that Nigel was going to win the world championship that year, not because Nigel was good, but because this fellow worked with us !!! Nigel won his only world championship that year. I told him after Nigel went to CART, that Nigel would be the champ there as well, and guess what, it happened again.

He left us and Nigel failed to win any further championships.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Actually, that is far more memorable than Darlington 79 and Rockingham 83, because we were actually behind the wheel.

Great race.

VIR, 2010. Jeff Young and Ron Earp nose to tail for ten laps. Jeff relents under pressure and Iz takes the win! Or something like that.

You guys have all seen some cool stuff. I never went to any racing events except for the odd motorcycle race in the 90s, but nothing as cool as you guys have seen.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Peter Collins had a sister Trish who lived in Jersey. She was helping to research and trying to put some sense into the book Mon Ami Mate. Unfortunately she never saw the book published as she suffered a brain haemorrage and died as a result.
Inside the church in Stone, where Peter Collins lies in the church yard , is a stained glass window with a panel saying "In memory of Peter John Collins 1931-1958. God gave him courage and a cheerful heart".
I think his American wife might have been called Louise or Lois

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have a copy of the book Mon Ami Mate, its a great read. Mr Collins appears to have been a wonderful person and a great gentlemen!

Additionally his wife sounds like she is a wonderful person as well. Its a great, and very sad story.

Last edited:
lame in comparison, but special to me none the less:

Watching GTP races at Riverside right before it closed and being in the infield of the track near the guardrail as the cars went by at incredible speeds.

Watching Sir Sitrling Moss drive the Mercedes 300SLR "722" at Zandvoort in the mid-1990s - they were demo laps, but you could hear the tires protesting and see him really working the steering wheel.

Not really racing, but I really enjoyed:

hanging out in Florence, Italy watching the Mille Miglia cars go by last year.

sitting in G Berger's Ferrari F1 car #28 from 1995 a few years ago before it was vintage raced and then sitting in a newer Renault F1 car a couple of years later.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Spydermike

I've had the pleasure of spending several historic weekends with Sir Stirling, Susie and Elliot at both Laguna and Watkins Glen, and I can say the no one his age can drive a car harder or faster, that man can FLAT OUT FLY!

I was a spectator Marshal at the British GP in 1987 when Nigel Mansell overtook Nelson Piquet on the last lap. The crowd went wild and invaded the track. No use trying to stop it.
Mansell was 11 seconds behind Piquet with 10 laps to go and in the same car (Both driving for Williams). He reeled him in and against team orders (This emerged after the race), he turned the boost up and went for it.
The engine siezed on the slowing down lap.
Best race I've ever seen and probably always will be. I can't imagine anything beating it. Fantastic memory.
My soul was sold to motorsport from that day on.

Martin

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Martin,

I got to see somthing similar a Long Beach. For all but the last two laps, the order was Jody Schekter (Wolf), Mario Andreti (Lotus) and Niki Lauda (Ferrari), one two three. The whole crowd stood the entire race, they were never more than one or two car lengths apart. It looked like Schekter may have been holding the others up a little but no way could they pass! Jody power sliding that Wolf around the hairpin perfectly every lap. Three World Champians (or soon to be) going at it lap after lap. It was great. Then with two to go Jody gets a soft rear tire and first Mario then with one to go Niki get by. The crowd was wild an American wining the US GP. I was one of the few who was crushed, I so wanted Jody to win in that Wolf! I also knew it was the best race I would ever see!

Still is except for that SCCA C Sedan race at Road Atlanta, but thats another story.

Last edited:
My first big race spectacle: 1990 Montreal Gran Prix. There was no one manning the gate entrance to the back of the garages, so we walked right in (4 of us - my dad, his friend, and his friend's friend.) We then noticed that Ferrari's doors were closed, but McLaren's were open! Sooo.. we walked right in and stood just feet from Senna's car as they prepped it for another practice run. I know it was Senna's because Senna was sitting on a crate right behind it.

I also bumped into Berger on our way in - he was walking out - literally bumped into him - shoulder to shoulder - and yes, he IS tall.

Also made it into Williams and Lotus where, while changing lenses on my camera, they started the Lotus while I was only 5 feet behind it (I remember thinking 'please don't start it while I'm changing lenses...' BBBRRRRrrruuUUUUmmmmm):laugh:

Then, on our way back to our seats (I ran ahead) - I got Jackie Stewart's signature on my race ticket. I grew up listening to his voice on TV - it was really something else to have him take time out and sign something for me.

Also, while working for a race shop (based at the old Bridgehampton Race Circuit where I lived only 8 minutes away - another great thing...), we were on a long race trip in 1995 or 96 and after a weekend at Sebring before leaving on Monday or Tuesday - Newman/Haas and another team showed up and we got to see Paul Tracy testing. You know they're going quick when you can see an Indy Car lean through a turn and see the stress in the tires....

Also, walking the paddock at the Long Beach Indy Car race in 1997 and got to take home a used pair of brake rotors from Dario Franchitti's car. Cool souvenir.

I guess another great moment in racing is building an old BMW 2002 race car with my Dad and enjoying the time with him driving it at Bridgehampton. (Yes he was driving too - 55 years old at the time.):thumbsup:

Attachments

• senna1c.jpg
    senna1c.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 165
Chris,
That's a cool story walking into the McLaren garage.

My last bit of nostalgia. I have and wear Nick Heidfelds old Racing boots.
Still have his name inside. I really should put my name in but haven't the heart to scrub his off.
Still got the baseball cap from the 1987 GP. Probably fetch a bit now if I were to ebay it.

Attachments

• IMG00598-20100715-2043 [640x480].jpg
    IMG00598-20100715-2043 [640x480].jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 166

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Not the big names from current years but 1970 and 1971 watching the South African series Formula 1 races at Bulawayo circuit. Racing between John Love Charlton and Sam Tingle was intense

In the evening they drove the F1 cars under police escourt to John Love's workshop in town (Main Street) As a kid of 10 - 11 I badgered my dad to stop on the way past so we could have a look. I met all 3 drivers and sat in John Love's car.

Move forward 15 years and I took up racing having continued to follow it at the local race level.

Arrive at the track with my formula V andwas way off time - John Love comes over to my pit with his current workshop foreman and teaches me there and then how to check the alignment and set toe - next race about 3 secs per lap faster.

I rolled the car that season and never raced cars again

Next season out at the track and Dave Tingle - Sam Tingle's son was fighting the Formula Ford battle and arrived without any pit crew (his brother eas too drunk to get out of bed!). Well 3 locals kept him running until the last race when air temperature was higher and he decided the webbers needed a richer jet (Plugs we light mustard colour) Changed the jets and managed to drop one piece into the carb and could not fish it out. Called to go to paddock and still no way of getting jet out. So gather 15 heavies and turn car over - not quite upside down and jet came out.

Car back up right way jet installed - fuel level redone - some had spilled out Dave Strapped in and straight to start line - no warm up lap. Result was 1st place. That was cutting it fine!

Another local with some pedigree was Bruce Glasby in Cooper Climax and Minis.

All great down to earth people

Ian

During the 1980s, Ferrari hadn't had a win for a while and then the Pope blessed their cars. They finished 1-2 at the next race in Montreal, I was there. I'm not sure if it was the same race but I saw Keke Rosberg finish 4th after making an extra pit stop for a puncture early on. He put on quite a show making his way through traffic. That was in a Williams/Honda. That was the debut of the second generation Honda turbo, which went on to do great things.

I also met Al Holbert and Derek Bell in the paddock at Lime Rock on two separate occasions, when they drove the Lowenbrau Porsche 962. When I met Al Holbert, it was the day after he finished 4th or 5th at Indy.

Back