GT 12 - sorry!

I recently purchased a semi basket case Avenger it has a six cylinder Corvair engine - the numbers on the heads appear to be 50B - then next to that 6876569 - not sure about the first 6??????
The tranny is #GM 4 under that is #3833192 - under that is # 524 4 - 5 may be a E??????
The bell housing is marked # 9855502 - next line GM 1 - next line #GM 62 maybe not sure.
I was told by the guy who claimed to have owned it(stored it) for 30 years that its one of 17 or 18 early one piece Avenger GT 12 model and as far as he knows it was like a orange red color (now under three other colors) - did dig down to the red and there is red over spray in the engine area and under dash area.
Last observation - the corvair engine is more of a mid engine than rear. It has the oil filter near the driver compartment and the tranny is in the rear .
Any info would be appreciated as I plan to take it down to bare frame and restore it in my garage. I am a career fire fighter getting ready to retire - did I bite off more than I can chew?

Last edited:
Back