GT 40 replicas

The GT40 that had its top cut off is owned
by Harley Cluxton and it has been totally restored.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hi Jim
I asked about GT40 #P1040 its in kit form!! and has been for years. Below is the data

FORD GT40 #P1040

Background

Baptized by the fire of international GT car racing, maturing as a four-time conqueror of
Le Mans and World Champion, and growing old as a revered icon and vintage racer, the 134 GT40s that were the end product of Henry Ford II's determination to challenge and beat Ferrari's domination of international GT car racing captured the attention of the world auto racing and collector car communities. Across all its numerous models and variants—coupes, roadsters, prototypes, production cars, competition cars, road cars, street cars, small block motors (and even a 4-cam Ford Indy engine or two), big blocks, lightweights, J-cars, Mirages—"The Ford That Beat Ferrari" is today in the top echelon of collector sports and grand touring race cars.

Volumes have literally been written on the history and engineering details of the GT40, and this
information need not be repeated here. Readers are cautioned that, the older the publication date of any book or article, the less accurate these histories are, particularly regarding specific chassis numbers.

History of Ford GT40 #P1040 to August 1978

In late 1965 Georges Filipinetti, Ferrari importer for Switzerland, decided to augment his race team of Ferrari customer cars and ordered two GT40 MkI race cars from Ford Advanced Vehicles (FAV) in England. It has been suggested that Ford had some kind of back door negotiations with Filipinetti, wanting to use his Scuderia as a source of additional entries at Le Mans. Hence, the thinking is that Filipinetti extracted some support from Ford as an independent, but quasi-factory, GT40 entrant. To fill the Filipinetti order, production race chassis P1039 and P1040, painted in the Scuderia's team colors of signal red with a white stripe from nose to tail, were delivered by FAV in March 1966.

P1040 appeared at the Le Mans trials in early April 1966 driven by Willie Mairesse, Herbert
Muller (both Filipinetti team drivers) and Innes Ireland (Ireland's only time in a GT40), and then
raced at Monza in late April, placing second in class and third overall with Muller and Mairesse driving. P1040 was returned to FAV for preparation for Le Mans and had special modifications made that were done only on Ford factory Le Mans GT40s. As one of 14 cars in Ford’s onslaught on the 1966 Le Mans race, P1040 was running an excellent fifth overall (driven by Peter Sutcliffe/Dieter Spoerry) and was the leading small block GT40 until running off the track after 16 hours, suffering damage that forced its retirement.

Further details of the history of GT40 #P1040 can be found in "GT40: An Individual History and Race Record" by GT40 historian and author Ronnie Spain.

History of Ford GT40 #P1040 After August 1978

Upon purchase by the current owner in August 1978, P1040 was an operable, running, car. It was not, however, in a condition that was satisfactory and safe, as numerous systems did not function properly as a result of what was a poorly executed "restoration" in the early 1970s. The car was kept intact and used occasionally for street drives, but no racing or track events, until 1983, when the motor was removed. In 1989, the entire car was disassembled down to the bare tub by Tom Milner Racing in Winchester, Virginia (current BMW factory team).

In the early 1990s, the chassis was delivered to Bob Ash (FAV Co., Norcross, Georgia), who specializes in GT40 restorations, for examination and development of a restoration plan. However, no work was done at that time and the tub was eventually returned to Maryland. The tub has recently been bead blasted and primed to stabilize it in preparation for restoration.

Both prior to and after its disassembly, P1040 was closely examined, in some cases more than once, by a number of race car technicians and restorers who had expert, specialized knowledge about GT40s, as well as by Ronnie Spain, the preeminent historian and authority on GT40s. In no case was the originality or identity of the car questioned. References to these experts can be provided upon request.

Restoration

Any prospective purchaser of GT40 #P1040 must assume that a total and comprehensive restoration of the car will be needed. Although it was in operable condition prior to disassembly in 1989, the reconstruction of the car subsequent to the Monza ’67 fire was not of the highest quality. Also, any original part would now be almost 35 years old and in need of thorough examination for structural soundness. Thanks to the passage of time and the value of the cars, there exist today a number of restoration shops that either specialize in GT40s almost exclusively or have done extensive work on them as part of their broader repertoire. There is no part from the original cars that isn’t available today, in some cases from manufacturers of high-quality clones and continuation cars.

The heart and soul of any historic car—it’s unique and original identity—is the chassis, or "tub." In contrast to many other competition GT40s, GT40 #P1040 not only still has its original chassis, but that chassis is in relatively good condition. While there was some surface rust over the entire chassis prior to the recent bead blasting, there were no areas that were rotted out and therefore needed replacement. There are a number of minor irregularities in the tub: (1) a small difference in the dimension of the left and right wheel bases, due to the run off into a sand bank at Le Mans ’66, that can be readily corrected through the use of a chassis jig; (2) the rear roll hoop was displaced upwards when the car was lifted off the track by a crane at Monza ’67 after the fire; this does not affect the structural integrity of the car and could very well be left as is as a "battle scar" from the car’s glory days in European competition (as the doors have been fiddled to match the increased roof height; however, as part of a comprehensive restoration, correction of the roof height would be a minor element; (3) the battery was at some point relocated from the cabin (standard location for race coupes) to a "box" cut into the left rear of the tub; (4) the bottom panels of the tub are somewhat beat up, but new panels to original specification from Bob Ash are supplied, as are new side pod skins.

Due to the severity of the fire at Monza ’67, the engine and transaxle originally installed in the car by FAV in 1966 were replaced with other GT40 units, as were the fiberglass body sections. All major parts and assemblies on the entire car are original GT40 parts, as are the Halibrand. Note that no windshield or plastic side or rear windows are presently with the car, and that the latches for the bodywork are not original.

Although its racing career was brief, P1040 is regarded by Ronnie Spain as a rare and historically significant factory Le Mans car, and it is to this specification that an authentic and rigorous restoration should likely be directed. However, other approaches to the restoration could also be taken, such as a less historically rigorous rebuild that perhaps would utilize elements of later GT40 configurations (larger flares, wider rims, and larger brake disks and calipers), or a very expansive approach using modern engines (Ford SVO, for example), brake systems, and shocks. The end result of any of these approaches will be an exciting racecar with very high levels of performance, and also one of the most aesthetically beautiful. A summary of costs for a total restoration is attached for your reference.

Terms for Outright Purchase

$300,000 for: ( the bare chassis (tub)
( all parts and assemblies that were removed from the tub when the car was disassembled from its running/operable condition; these include all body panels and doors; suspension uprights and components; half shafts; 289 c.i. motor; Weber 48IDA carburetors; ZF5DS25 transaxle; Girling brake calipers and rotors; Halibrand rims; seats; radiator; instruments; pedal box/pedals; steering wheel
( new tub floor pans and side pod panels from FAV Co.
( new wiring harness from FAV Co.

Terms for Shared Ownership

$250,000 for 1/2 interest in totally restored car, done to the highest standards. In the world of corporate or private planes, the concept of shared ownership has been utilized for many years as a method to convey virtually all the practical benefits of ownership while significantly reducing the initial capital investment and subsequent operating and maintenance costs. This concept would seem to be quite applicable to a limited-use car such as the GT40.

Without getting into great detail at this point, the administrative and legal arrangements for shared ownership would be straightforward and could be accomplished through a number of different approaches (patterned after a flying club, for example, or a close-held corporation that might yield some tax advantages to its owners). Logistics could also work in a number of ways, such as each owner getting possession of the car for their fractional ownership part of one year, or keeping the car at a shop that would also be responsible for its maintenance. Use by more than one owner at a race or meet is certainly feasible. Transporting the car from owner to owner and to meets can be readily hired out, as can maintenance and race support.

It is emphasized that the amounts quoted above are for a fractional ownership interest in a fully restored car. The new owners will incur no additional expenses for the restoration, and an escrow account could be set up to ensure that an appropriate share of each owner’s capital investment was dedicated solely to the restoration. Restoration could begin immediately upon finalization of a comprehensive plan that specifies work and costs and will be done to the highest standard.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chris, thanks, this is more than I'd hoped to get. It is out of my reach but does give me some good ideas as to how to approach what I want in a GT40. Thanks!!

The MK 1 at B-J sold for $375,000 and it has a history and is "put together". I think the "box of parts GT40" may be way over priced.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Jay Thompson ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I saw that a running MK1 sold at BJ; which one was it? It looked good inthe photos, but they frequently look better in photos than in the flesh.

Hi Jim/Jay

the B/J car was GT40 1027 the yellow car in the photo's.

Gt40 p1040 I think is way over the top on price. The roof is out by around 1" high, and a GTD club member that saw the tub said that it "looked as though it had been stored in the sea, it was that rusty".
What price did the Blue Mk111 make?
Chris

Hi everyone, First of all i will say thanks to Chris For inviting me to join this site. I should have heard about it long ago, though as usual moving premises and house has slowed me down the last few months.
My name is Mark Sibley, My Company name is MDA. I have been in the Replica car market for 18 years, most of which have been with the GT40, Cobra, Ferrari and Lamborghini re-plica's. I have worked for GT Developments (GTD) for eight years in the hay day's. I've been supplying GT40 customers for the last fifteen years. I have built many GTD and Some KVA and advised on many other projects.
I have a full range of parts, upgrades and accessories of which a list is available on request. We are producing a full body and Chassis package (space frame chassis, GRP or carbon/kevlar body)We cover the mark one GT40 and the Mark three version. Our website is old and a new one will appear in the very near future. Meanwhile you can now contact us through this site or directly by e-mail. Our new chassis has a lower engine cradle and is fixed suspension with adjustable arms. We offer larger front spindles, larger brakes, wheel flange or knock on hubs, Stronger Renault transaxles,all drivetrain packages, body hardware, lights, exhausts, engines, fuel injection packages,twin bias pedal boxes, fully adjustable steering columns, 6 core rads,air con,any interior choices,cable-needle roller or rod change gearshift, just about all of it. Whatever your needs for a sucessful GT40 build.I am happy to advise this site as i have learned a thing or two about GT40's over the years. Hi to all my existing customers and i hope those that dont know me, soon will. I will post features on the site from time to time with latest products, upgrades, facts and events as they happen. Thanks again to Chris, ( i'll send you that fiver soon ok?)

For all your replica GT40 requirements
MDA- Mark Sibley

Now im on here you won't get me off again!
To the Man who was worried about my Gulf GT40 getting trashed on the new Bond film, I made two front ends identical. They have placed charges under the front sections and the nostril panel. They may do the screen also. When i get it back the original front end goes back on. If a collector wants to stick it in an exhibition i will supply the bullet holed front with the car! If they do accidently blow it up, they own it! It is a GTD40 road version underneath, standard trim, 320hp 302, single box exhaust, renault trans, 15 inch wheels&tyres, air con even! Leather interior, wilton wool carpets. As soon as i have the photo's I will put them on the site for view. If they let me go up for the filming, I will try to video the car getting the extra lead ( I may take a little pleasure from this) And put it up on the new website for all to see. Most of us have struggled at building GT's, and it may have a theraputic effect on those who feel like taking a large hammer to the doors when they cant get them right!!!
All the best

Mark Sibley

G

Mark

Thanks for the info. But just to make it
PERFECTLY clear to those of us in the USA,
please confirm you are legally able to sell
your kits into the USA. It appears your kit
has similarities to the old GTD (now CAV,
and some of us have concerns about
potential legal issues.

Thanks

MikeD

Mike and all, My Chassis is a space frame that is the only similarity to a GTD. I am under no legal obligation to anyone. I am not a dealer for any company. I do however supply most of the other companies and outlets. My Chassis started life at a ex Formula three racing outfit. It has fixed bracketry and adjustable arms as standard. Poly urethane bushes or rose joints can be an option. The engine cradle is lowered and the rear gearbox section brought down to allow a more level engine & gearbox. This benefits rear vision slightly also. My Body is a Mark one GT40, that shape, im afraid, i can say does have similarities to others! I also offer the mark three, no one really covers that mark anymore. Our chassis is very different to a GTD. Our rear sponsons taper in from the rollbar and that gives proportionately more room at the front end of the engine bay. Our has a centre spine which allows ( if really necessary though a lot of American cars were supplied with centre gearshift!) a centre rod, cable or side shift gearchange. Other than the fact the wheels bolt on in roughly the same place our chassis is a way different. We will release pictures end of February. Our front spindles are not standard ford items, they do not flex under hard cornering. We have full product liability and 18 years experience. Anymore questions?

MDA

G

Mike,

As someone who's still comparing kits and turnkey minus setups from various manufacturers, I'd be interested in knowing whether you will offer a car ala CAV, complete except for engine and transaxle (price?), and whether you'll offer a complete kit, ala Roaring Forties (again, price?). Seems to be a good time to be interested in GT40 replicas...the choices keep expanding.

Thanks for any info,

Tom T.

To Tom and all, to save time in typing every detail up on this site, Im hard hitting my onw website to have the information up so that it can be viewed. We won't be offering a Monocoque, we already have three versions to contend with, Monocoque are covered by others. Besides, Others have done monocoques and failed miserably. I do not refer to current companies. I do like the way some have gone, though individuals have had a go in the past and come unstuck. Im sticking with tried and tested, easy to change if required. I will post the website up as soon as its done. I will reply to any e-mail enquiries.
Regards Mark

Back