GT-R

It's no different than someone calling their GT40/Cobra replica a 1965 ...unless it was built then, it's not...but it is a replica of a 1965 and MANY people use this to their advantage...be it right or wrong.

IMO the "be it right or wrong" comment is misplaced.

I believe the current Missouri law on street rods and custom vehicles was passed about ten years ago by a bunch of car enthusiasts with the help and/or guidance of SEMA. I don't know exactly (I've only been involved with pro-gun legislation) but I believe it's very similar to model legislation passed in a number of other states.

The law very sensibly recognizes that car nuts want to build neat rides, and one thing they need is a title. You find someone with something old in a barn that you want to build into a hot rod, but the title (and last titled owner) information has been lost over the last 70 years. What to do?

This is why those "Title Companies" sprang up that would "sell" your barn find back to you from one of the states that transferred cars on a bill of sale only, creating a new title in the process.

The problem was this made it possible to perpetrate a fraud, by creating a title out of thin air for a rare car, and then recreating that rare car and passing it off as an original.

The legislation I quoted lets gearheads have their fun and completely avoids any possibility of fraud by having the word REPLICA in the vehicle description of the title. If you build a FFR Hot Rod, you can title it as a 1933 Ford Replica, and not even a drunken Indian could be fooled into thinking it was an original 1933 Ford.

This ISN'T a case of hot rodders "pulling a fast one," it's using the legislation AS IT WAS INTENDED. If I want to rebody an old Valiant to look like the Dodge Turbine Car, I can title it as a 1962 Dodge Turbine Replica and no one is harmed or even has the potential to be harmed.

IMO every state should adopt similar legislation.

JR

John
my right or wording comment was aimed at people/companies that don't use the work replica in their paperwork...hence the confusion.

Famed Hotrodder Boyd Coddington and others got into some seriously hot water with the title companies you mention.

Fran... I was under the impression that the GTR would not be road legal, is that not still the case? The car is beautiful and would look great on the street or track IMO.

Course I did ....only been here for 20 yrs, arrived with my backpack and carry on two days before Xmas....Spent 26 yrs in the UK first though

Keith

Course I did ....only been here for 20 yrs, arrived with my backpack and carry on two days before Xmas....Spent 26 yrs in the UK first though

So, let's see, that would make you, d'uh, oh, er 42 then :idea:

I also went to school in Blighty! Ha....:quirk:

And it shows huh? :laugh:

Fran... I was under the impression that the GTR would not be road legal, is that not still the case? The car is beautiful and would look great on the street or track IMO.

I thought the same thing but he said it would be road legal. I think you would just have to register it like you would a SL-C.

This was Fran's response when I questioned him about any difficulties with registering an SL-C. :lipsrsealed:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD vAlign=top>Good morning Jim,
:!blank:
hope you are well.

I would suggest that you do not install the side windows or the rear hatch window.....this is common practice in the UK with such cars like GT40's....

You could always bend the light a little and say that the SLC is a Porsche 962 replica....or something similar.....only issue then is resale that it will not have a title with Superlite on it...and its something you would need to keep quiet....as you know what peolpe are like with the internet....winkwink.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Regards
Fran Hall
RCR & SUPERLITECARS 37575 Groesbeck Highway
Clinton Township, Business hrs..Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Michigan 48036

Tel; 586-329-1573
Fax; 586-329-1574

2011 NATIONAL RACE CHAMPIONS with the SL-C
WWW.RACECARREPLICAS.COM WWW.SUPERLITECARS.COM

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I restate the same as I posted earlier.

There are no modified mso
That would be high illegal and potentially fraudulent
The mso reads exactly what it is we manufacture and sell.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Just like John Ross said he feels his car looks like a GTP Vette...but his MSO still says SLC..and like I say in my email to you ...anyone can bend the light a little just like John...

Its no different than someone calling their GT40/Cobra replica a 1965 ...unless it was built then its not..but it is a replica of a 1965 and MANY people use this to their advantage..be it right or wrong.

John
my right or wording comment was aimed at people/companies that don't use the work replica in their paperwork...hence the confusion.

Famed Hotrodder Boyd Coddington and others got into some seriously hot water with the title companies you mention.

Fran,

Having the word “Replica” in your name does not automatically qualify the product as a “Replica”; it just adds to the confusion/deception! The SL-C is a very nice looking car, but the fact of the matter is: it 's not a replica of anything!

Encouraging customers to “bend the light a little” is simply Brit speak for:
bending the truth/lying/fraud! Fraud by any other name is still fraud. I find it interesting that you are not willing to amend your MSO and stipulate what the model replicates, because you consider that to be highly illegal; however, you don't see anything wrong with your customers perpetrating a fraud upon a state agency by “bending the light” and having to look over their shoulders for as long as they own the car!

Do some state's have antiqued vehicle registration laws that need changing? IMO; yes! The correct solution is to lobby these states and encourage them to amend their statutes...not encouraging customers to “bend the light”! In this country; just because you can “bend the light” does NOT make the practice ethical or legal: as a matter of fact, I would suspect that most government officials would be rather upset about being “gamed”:furious:

Just my 2 cents of opinions!

Jim

Justin,

correct just like any other component car....

as I said in a previous post if your state registers component cars then it will be just fine...

If it your state is not a friendly one then , as always the responsibility/liability rests with the owner/builder ...moving to California is the other options as the SB100 is a great solution.

I completely understand that the gtr is being built as a track car. With guys taking about driving them on the street though, will the front end lift be an option?

Any transaxle limitations like the GT40? Does just about anything go in this larger body? I'm starting my plans and need to figure out if I'm going light and quick or bigger HP?

I'm confused, is this the GT40 that Fran offers just bigger?
Cheers Ray

No, it's a 'replica' of the highly modified Ford GT by Robertson Racing in which Fran/RCR also had a hand (spot the sticker):

Car_40_GT2_D.Murry_D.Robertson_A.Robertson_Doran_Ford_GT_R_Robertson_Racing_2A4409.jpg

Back