GT40 45th reunion at Road America

you can buy the SPF MKII without the snorkels....I saw that they have back clams without the snorkels attached if you have a SPF already and want to change. I thought about it as I like the cleaner lines. I might wait until I hit a deer or something.

SpyderMike,
Thanks for the info on the SPF shell. Very good to know.
Garry

I saw two spare MKII shells at SPF HQ last month. They are unpainted and had no snorkels. The snorkel holes were there, so they would need to be blocked off. The rough cost I got on this back clam was $5k. As spares, they are sent from Hi-Tech this way I was told.

Mike

I was at the ALMS race this past Sunday at Elkhart Lake and had chance to gab with one of the set up persons for the single Ford GT entered
It was a very interesting 10 or so minutes
I aked him how fast their GT was doing on Elkhart Lake's main straight, a little over 165mph
I noted Kirby and Daryl's over 170 during the get together and found out that present class race regulations limit their air intake aperture that the engine breathes through and substantially reduces possible horsepower development, and therefore speed, etc
If racing is supposed to improve the breed, how this restriction improves the breed is beyond me!
Dennis

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I noted Kirby and Daryl's over 170 during the get together and found out that present class race regulations limit their air intake aperture that the engine breathes through and substantially reduces possible horsepower development, and therefore speed, etc
If racing is supposed to improve the breed, how this restriction improves the breed is beyond me!
Dennis

Levels the playing field with multiple manufacturers in the class...

Now - if there were enough Ford GTs to make up their own class - there would likely be no restrictor..

I always felt that the leveling of the playiing field should be done by the manufacturers, drivers and vehicle set up personnel
I still remember back in the 50s when a Porsche 550 Mexico Spyder showed up to race against a bunch of MG TCs , TDs and a few other Porsches
Level playing field, hell no
The 550 was king followed some time later by the other Porsches and later still by the MGs
It was still exciting racing even though there were monstrous differences between the makes

The 2 Corvettes that were being set up next to the GT were newer vehicles and didn't have restrictors determined yet since they were new, not very leveling
They were also heavily subsidized by GM, also not very leveling
The GT personnel were happy that there was a good difference between last year's set up and this years allowing for a good performance increase (2 or 3mph on Elkhart's main straight)
The GT looked and sounded better on the go and was well driven and made up for any perceived shortcomings
It wasn't a 40 but it was still pretty nice in action

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have been honored by Burns Stainless by being featured on their home page and facebook pages. The pictures were taken by our own Ron McCall(Pantera1889) and they took some text from our own Mike Drew experience with the car. If you go to their site be sure to click on one of the pictures and it will take you to their facebook page. It will likely only be there for a week.

www.burnsstainless.com

I have been honored by Burns Stainless by being featured on their home page and facebook pages. The pictures were taken by our own Ron McCall(Pantera1889) and they took some text from our own Mike Drew experience with the car. If you go to their site be sure to click on one of the pictures and it will take you to their facebook page. It will likely only be there for a week.

www.burnsstainless.com

Ron did a great job with the pictures, and I do recognize two that I took. I think it is pretty cool that others have been using them.

A few of mine.

Attachments

• DSCN3215_2.jpg
    DSCN3215_2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCN3210.jpg
    DSCN3210.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN3209.jpg
    DSCN3209.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 382
I will be there with a Lola Can Am car or two. Whatever runs ! I am #36 and #3 in Can Am (again, whatever runs..) and #5 in the Group 5 race. Please stop by and say hello !

Attachments

• 2010-03-29_12.02.22.jpg
    2010-03-29_12.02.22.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 70-Lola-T70MKII_DV_WG-10-6.jpg
    70-Lola-T70MKII_DV_WG-10-6.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_0178.jpg
    100_0178.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 2199596929_e91ff79b77_o.jpg
    2199596929_e91ff79b77_o.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 290
I know im a newer user here, but figured I'd chime in ---

I'll be there with our fully original gt 350 Hertz "Rent-A-Racer" (black/gold stripes, 4 speed manual), and our #76BP GT 350 (White/Blue stripes) R model race mustang. Look for the mustang doing burnouts to get out of pit lane, as ours comes complete with a Jerico Transmission, but we left out the Flywheel :)

We had a hard time deciding between bringing our Hertz or the "#28" Blue 427 Cobra, which we brought last year and actually got an award at the Concourse. We had parked right outside Siebkens on our way in, and someone thought we deserved the "Car you'd most enjoy/like to own" award. Fun times, I'm really looking forward to this year.

Also, we're bringing along some posters of our Cobra, even though it probably isnt going to make it out of the garage. Heres a Preview image for anyone who my be interested:

See you all thursday at the Track!

Attachments

• #28 Blue 427 Cobra.jpeg
    #28 Blue 427 Cobra.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 254

Chuck

Supporter
Ryan and I will be there.

Won't be bringing the GT this year. Just the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Doubt they will let it on the track . . . . Had hoped to have our current project ready: ground up build of a 1965 GT350 Mustang clone. Oh well.

I will be there this year with my borther, who is a vintage racer (pre-war Indy); however, RA doesn't include pre-war. I also got to judge the concourse last year - one of the 2 GT40 categories, which included originals (!!!), RCR (2), 2 CAV (2). This year I will have bills hanging out my pocket to see if I can come home with one!

I was there on Saturday. Johan, stopped by your pit area and asked for you but they said you were by the other two cars (30 ft away)... if I had known what you looked like I would have walked over. Seems to be the plight of meeting on a message board.

In any event, great time on Saturday. The weather was perfect and I took the BMW around for touring. As usual I saw some beautiful cars that were all running hard.

Dennis Olthoff was there with his car and a customer's car (both GT40s). Both ran well and Dennis won the race; I believe he made the final pass on last lap.

I have a ton of pictures but will not be able to upload them until later. Will post up when I do.

Kevin

Anyone catch that awesome white Prius racing around the track during the Saturday "Tour"? Then there was that jerk in the Scion that passed me on the inside on the curve at the Kink, of all places.

Back