GT40 Horns

Hi:
If you patiently follow this video and stop it at the right moment you will find where the horn is placed in this particular MK II (hint: ignore the discussion on cooling hoses):

Many more interesting details in this video ! My guess: only a single horn was used to save weight but meet requirements - surprised however that this one is in bright red ;-) Could not spot a horn on the MK IV...

Thank you for posting this. Excellent video which shows the sort of detail I am interested in. I have another photo of an original GT40 but not sure which chassis number and it has twin bright red horns fitted.

Rob

Regarding number and position: I dug up two photos from back when I was looking for brake ducting ideas and originality. Cars appear to be original GT40's but it's hard to say what modifications have been done over the years.

Attachments

• horn_red Cooling Ducts.jpg
    horn_red Cooling Ducts.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 183
  • horn_black.jpeg
    horn_black.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 182
Regarding number and position: I dug up two photos from back when I was looking for brake ducting ideas and originality. Cars appear to be original GT40's but it's hard to say what modifications have been done over the years.

Thank you Walter. A couple of nice detailed photos.
Interesting.

Rob.

Watching a documentation of the 68 Le Mans 24 Hours I took a few screen shots of GT40s. One shows the front bay area with 2 horns.

Attachments

• horn-position-68-gt40.jpg
    horn-position-68-gt40.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 68-tail-section-lemans.jpg
    68-tail-section-lemans.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Neil

Supporter
One thing I learned driving on the Autobahn and in Italy in the early '60s is that small, fast cars need big, loud horns! A pair of air horns from a GI 2 1/2 ton truck was perfect!

Back