GT40 listed on Ebay - Carbon Fiber Panels

Keith

Looks like Alain V's old GT40NZ/GT40NA car is back for sale.

Ian

Yes it does look like it. I remember he had to practically take it apart and rebuild it. The motor is quite mild as I recall and it was built by a "race car constructor" with Eric Broadley's son as a consultant....

The carbon fibre looks good. Bit of a strange 1st bid though????

:rolleyes:

Keith

What I meant was, who in their right mind on an item with "no reserve" would place an opening bid of $69,000 unless he was a) barking mad b) a friend of the vendor or c) the vendor himself with a different account...

It didn't look kosher from the get go.

My opening bid would have been $100 or so.... :|

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
What I meant was, who in their right mind on an item with "no reserve" would place an opening bid of $69,000 unless he was a) barking mad b) a friend of the vendor or c) the vendor himself with a different account...

It didn't look kosher from the get go.

My opening bid would have been $100 or so.... :|

Keith,

Looks perfectly good to me. In this case (and with the relist) the bidding starts at $69K, that is the opening bid price and the minimum first bid you can place, so in effect that is the 'reserve' price. Who in their right mind would put a car like this up for auction with no reserve and allow bidding to start at $100, if that was the only bid you'd have to sell at that price.

Keith

It wasn't an "opening bid" . It was a bid made by another EBay member, not the vendors start bid and that was my point. If it had been a vendors opening bid then it would have made sense.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Let's say I put up an auction on eBay on a widget and I set the reserve at $100 and an opening bid of $10.
Keith comes by and bids $20, it will show him as the high bidder at $10 (my opening bid). His bid of $20 will be held in reserve until Julian comes by and bids $15. Keith will now be shown as the high bidder at $16. Julian bids $20 now. Keith is now shown as high bidder at $20. Julian gets an attitude and bids $50. Julian is now the high bidder at $21. It keeps going until someone either bids equal to or over my reserve of $100 - or the auction ends...

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
It wasn't an "opening bid" . It was a bid made by another EBay member, not the vendors start bid and that was my point. If it had been a vendors opening bid then it would have made sense.

:confused: Don't want to labor this, but when I first saw it there were zero bids and it was $69K, just as it is right now.

More to the point, at that price it's probably a good buy for someone who wants a turnkey car. Can't say I'm struck on the yellow, maybe the photo's don't do it justice. It seems a tad on the heavy side at 2500lbs for all that CF?

Having an auction with no reserve is really a good way to weed out tyre-kickers and non-serious bidders. It appears the seller set $69K as the minimum bid; and if there is 1 bidder at that price, that bidder gets the car. Would have been a good deal IMHO, but...Sometimes, the seller will panic when there are no bids 24 hours before the auction end and so pulls the listing; especially if he was expecting higher bids.

I just sold 2 cars on eBay with no reserve auctions, and I set the starting bid at the minimum I would sell the cars for. I didn't see any action until the last day. 1 car (Lotus Elan Sprint) had 16 bids and went for $10K more than I started it at, and the other (Porsche 550 Spyder) had 1 bid at my starting price...strange market out there. Timing is everything; buying or selling:rolleyes:

Back