1966 GT40 Chassis Plans

Hello Friends,
This is my first post here. My goal is to do the sheet metal work and build one by hand(I realize it will take a long time and have seen the posts from those that discourage it, but I'd like to do it). Id also like to use my gantry CNC to build molds to lay up my own body in carbon fiber or make bucks for aluminum panels.

After infinite searching, I'm unable to find a complete set of plans for the GT40 chassis (only I can find are the limited grabcad drawings, which has a ortho file at the end that is not correct and true to the dimensions after throwing some exemplar ford drawings up against it....I suspect this is someones best attempt at trying to draw the car without having access to a real one).

My plan: utilize the proprietary software and my access to a super computer to execute a brute force attack to this problem.......creating a 99.9% accurate 3d model to be used to eventually make drawings.

I'd like to post this as a collaborative request to overcome the lack of plans(or hoarding of plans).

I'm requesting: HD videos or HD pics or additional blueprints or dimensions that are verifiable that are not available to the public of original chassis so that I can build on to the model I'm creating to eventually create a 99.9% accurate set of plans. In exchange for help, I'd be willing to do other projects/3d scanning/photo & video scanning/3d printing(metal/plastic) in exchange for valuable info. PM me and lets talk. I will not share anything that you wish to share with me in confidence.

I've began scanning HD video's (
) and incorporating HD pics as I find them to firm up my model and fill in missing pieces(I'm posting pics after some minimal processing time, please excuse the sloppy look and hole in the roof...1 hour)......some extensive super computing time will be needed to firm the model up to hundredths of an inch to original car). I'll post pics as I make progress.

I welcome any comments/suggestions/help.
Thanks,
1968gtcs

side.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

front.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Kevin. I seriously doubt you will get any takers on giving up proprietary blueprints. In the last week or so someone posted a link for a YouTube video about the correct plans. I have not had the opportunity to locate or watch the video. But if you search the site, it was within the last week, I believe.
Enjoy the forum.
Regards Brian

Appreciate the welcome. That's exciting news about the drawings finally being released. Here is a link to the youtube video for everyone:

Welcome to GT40S Kevin. I seriously doubt you will get any takers on giving up proprietary blueprints. In the last week or so someone posted a link for a YouTube video about the correct plans. I have not had the opportunity to locate or watch the video. But if you search the site, it was within the last week, I believe.
Enjoy the forum.
Regards Brian

@Brian Kissel that was me, and it was only in the last 2 days i think. Its in the Video and Pictures buffet.

@1968gtcs Kevin, if you locate my build diary on here, you will see that I am a good way into the redrafting and drawing of the chassis. Most of this has been done with the publicly available plans and dimensions you speak of. I doubt I will be able to fabricate it to the "n"th degree. I have spoken to senior and experienced aircraft airframe / "coach builders" and they were not too concerned with the tolerances required to build one.

After studying 10,000 of photos and spending probably the same in hours looking at the different cars, i feel that unless you are going to do a replica of XGT1, as in your subject, that even a 95% accuracy in 3 dimensions would probably be more than enough to give you headaches.

Good luck with your project. Welcome to the madness. Crack on I say.
the journey and the people you meet along the way are part of the fun, and something to be savored.

Cheers Ryan.

Back