GT40/p 2***

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Stackelberg,

I finally got a chance to check the Selby Registry.

I do not find anything under the SPF pages with P-2***AAM.

The only orther GT40 with a P-2... are the Holman-Moody cars built in the early 1990s' they were P/201, P/202 , P/203 ...... No additional letters are noted.

There were two cars that carried the designation AM GT40/1 and AM GT40/2.

These were the Alan Mann "lightweight" cars.

Last edited:
Yeah right, I must agree with you. I think that the real one should be presented. :thumbsup:

Like I already stated ...

In Belgium steeling chassis numbers of an unregistered car (for cars registered as old timers) is easy... A bit like there are many duplicates of "real" Carrera RS' around the globe with the same chassis numbers.

If that would happen, I would be the one registering a "stolen" car.

Finding a car park somewhere around the world with the exact car your looking for is obviously way more difficult than "googling" - "GT40 chassis number" and finding out it is not a registered one.

Once registered, there is no problem anymore. I know my search for provenance would be easier with the full numbers. all tough I think I could fit the puzzle with just more info about the early days of 'continuation' chassis' . :happy:

I'm not paranoid. But you never know these days.:thumbsup:

Thanks Jim!

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm sure if you'd put some pictures of the of chassis that someone on the forum could tell you who made it. The number of outfits making mono chassis' are very small and to the trained eye each has telltale signatures.

As far as it being a "continuation chassis" I wouldn't think that possible. I'd guess the chassis is a "one off" or one from a small lot and the owner/builder simply called it P2XXX because seventeen years ago it seemed like a cool thing to do. If I were to hazard a guess at all, with no pictures or info, I'd guess it is an ERA as they were building monos back in the 90s.

But with the vague info you provided thus far there isn't much way anyone can help you.

chassis.png

chassis2.png

chassis3.png

monocoque.png

The car is almost finished nowadays. :happy:

Thanks for the information Ron!

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, it definitely isn't a mono replica of any type. that is a tube frame chassis. I can't identify it, but I am far away from being the forum's replica/kit car chassis expert. I imagine someone here will be able to identify it.

Keith

That is a carbon fibre monocoque from Tornado and as you can see, the central tub is unibody (no tubes) whereas your chassis is mostly steel tubing covered with panels. If a compromise were to be reached you could stretch the description to 'Semi Mono'

But mostly all space frame chassis have similar panels to a) provide torsional stiffness and b) to mimic the look of an original monocoque.

Some say that space frames are easier to repair in an accident, and for everyday use, even racing, they are preferred, whereas the purists would seek to own a true monocoque for reasons of lightness and fealty to the original design.

Like I said. My knowledge on this matter is very limited.

But it seems to me, the chassis on the images I posted. Has less "tubes" then for example this one?

monoc.jpg

Actually, from what I see in the pictures you posted, would be more tubes, not less than the Tornado CF mono. The Tornado monos have tubes for the radiator extension in the front, the engine cradle in the back, and the "roll" bar/firewall structure. The one you posted pictures of has more tubes in the engine cradle and radiator extension area, as well as plenty of tubes in the cockpit/dashboard area. Also, the front bulkhead appears to be only partial tub with some square tubes around the opening.

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Stackelbergh

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a chassis like yours, but it appears to be very will made!

Please post more photos as your build progresses, we just love to watch the progress.

So I probably can assume this is a personally build one off of some kind?

Thank you Jim,

These are some other photo's of the car in progress.

screenshot20110126at160.png

suspension1.png

apracing.png

screenshot20110517at132.png

Blue Polly Silver :happy:

Cooling vane outer diameter of brake rotors should 'trail' in respect to rotation, your photos appear to have left on right .. air is supposed to flow from ID to OD....

Cooling vane outer diameter of brake rotors should 'trail' in respect to rotation, your photos appear to have left on right .. air is supposed to flow from ID to OD....

I don't understand what you are saying.

A mechanic from Freisinger in Germany ( FREISINGER MOTORSPORT - Porsche: Historische Rennwagen, Restauration, Tuning, Fahrzeuge & Teile ) did the suspension and brakes. I assumed it was done correctly. Could you explain a little more what you mean?

Thank you

It looks to be coming together nicely - it must have been wonderful the first time you saw it on wheels with bodywork

I think I see a central gearshift : what engine & gearbox are you planning ?

It looks to be coming together nicely - it must have been wonderful the first time you saw it on wheels with bodywork

I think I see a central gearshift : what engine & gearbox are you planning ?

A Ford 302 engine and a customized UN1 Gearbox since my intention is to make the car as "everyday" useable as I can.

Back