GT40 P1033 Sale

I have some photos of this car when Tom first got it taken at Seattle Int'l Raceways (now Pacific Raceways again) It was in 1991. The car was in "track used" condition as it was being driven hard and often then. It didn't have all the bling exhaust and fixtures, just painted black bundle and painted springs etc. Like all of his cars, it was taken care of impeckably and when re-done all the details were made, some of which over the edge, like the springs. The gauges were more standard and the large warning lamps on the dash facia were not present then. He always ran the pants off his cars during the events, using them for what they were intended. I kinda like the chrome springs, shows less dust than those black ones.................Forever Ford!!!

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
This was the first real GT40 I sat in and the inspiration for my build. It's stable mates include a Lola T162, Grand Sport Corvette, and a Penske TransAm Camaro among others. Sorry to see it go...

like the hunkered down look of this car.
But more likely than not this suspension set up is way off from beeing the optimum.
it just looks very cool
tom

gt10.jpg

gt9_LHOU_2.jpg

gt2_3aIw_4.jpg

gt7_NCdh_2.jpg

gt1_1YFO_5.jpg

gt6_1N5f_2.jpg

gt3_0P1V_3.jpg

gt5_0GXX_2.jpg

gt8_6POO_2.jpg

CAR SPOTLIGHT>>'66 FORD GT40 - THE REAL DEAL - Speedhunters

Which is really kind of a bargain when you think about it comparatively. Think of, say, a Ferrari GTO. Those go for (lately at least) roughly 10X the Bonhams price of P1033. Similar rarity, similar provenance, similar recognizability. Both are stunningly beautiful, and highly engineered cars of their day. Both represent a peak of automotive racing performance in their respective times (which aren't that far apart).

Why the difference? Personally, I think it's because original GT40s are generally bought by real car guys. Real car guys who have done real well in business for the most part. Guys who know about cars and the history of racing, and have some grease under the fingernails. Whereas, the GTO (IMHO) is more typically bought by business guys and investors who are perhaps looking for access to the ultra-wealthy club that is the GTO owner's club....which has been considered (and is) the most expensive and exclusive gentleman's club in the world. GTO's have also been a fantastic investment over the last 20 years as well....that's not to be forgotten. But it seems to me there's an element of Dutch tulip to it all...which is not a factor in the buying and selling of original GT40s.

The GT40 club is not just a Gentlemen's club..., as Sandra McNeil bought hers in I believe 1967 for 7500 and has never sold or restored it cosmetically. My favorite GTO !

Back