GT40 side impact concerns

IMHO

Fuel bladders are of limited(no) use in " full sqeeze" situation(like described in Jack´s situation). Fuel as any liquid won´t be compressable. So it will find its way out, if the volume gets to small. BEst is to find a location best protected => dfficult in a GT40.

As a side note, look at the weather stripping. It sealed up real nice.

Dean check here, how to do it on a RCR

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/24525-toms-rcr-40-trackracer-9.html#post243474

TOM

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I know that the DRB chassis has side intrusion bars built into the doors that comply with the current ADR's (Australian design rules) for rigidity.
What the spec's are I have know idea, maybe someone else can chime in.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Eagle fuel cells: any of their customers on here? I'd be interested in this for my car when we get to the point of sponson tanks (see post on my build thread- we are going to use a temporary FC up front for the moment) I'd like to know how they did and what they cost.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
[I opted out of using the FIA bladders, which are available with the kit.]

Will Fran sell these to anyone? Wonder what size they are?

Fran did indicate that RCR would sell these bladders to non-RCR customers. However, they are made specifically for RCR cars that were built with the bladders in mind - so fitment would be the challenge and responsibility of the buyer.
I do know that they cannot be used in an RCR that was built to be run without the bladders (as mine) since they have baffles welded in place.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dean's picture is the best idea I've seen for a street car that needs a little better protection on track.

The other thing that can be done is to fill only one tank for track work and keep it only full enough for each session. Pick the one that's on the inside away from the wall as much as possible. My car uses about a gal (US) every 10 min's on track so I could run each session (20-25 min) with about 4 gals in the tank.

This should make the whole think a bit safer I would think. In the end most of these cars are just not as safe as a modern stock car or Rolex cup Daytona prototype and they will never be unless you want to really spend the same sort of money on safety.

If you don't want to spend the money on a fuel cell, perhaps you could buy some foam blocks and fill your tank so that it retains the fuel in the event of a rupture. Perhaps your car has the sill openings to allow this.

Back