GT40 to be honoured at 2013 Amelia Island Concours

I am glad you had a great time celebrating the 50th(?????)anniversary of the Ford GT40. I love those pictures keep them coming. I am looking forward to the Goodwood Revival GT40 race on this side of the pond.
Now I am going to throw a spanner in the works not out of malice or jealousy more of historical accurancy. How can you be celebrating the Ford GT40 birth according to all the celebrations 1963? When the car was only a full size clay mould for the fiberglass panels on 23rd October 1963.
Abbey Panels monocoque chassis was first delivered in 16th March 1964. GT/101 the prototype Ford GT was revealed as a fully built car (it was completed in 16 days)at a press launch on the 1st April 1964 (April fools day).
You do not celebrate the conception of a child (you might do once its confirmed; but its the birth you really celebrate!!); you celebrate its birthday. Are these celebrations destorting the dates made for purely logistic (ie getting the cars together?) reasons or purely commercial reasons. Like I said I am just curious???
Regards Allan

Last edited:
a few more pictures

Attachments

• 3gulf.jpg
    3gulf.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 298
  • gulfmirage.jpg
    gulfmirage.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 262
  • gurney.jpg
    gurney.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 283
  • roadster.jpg
    roadster.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 273
  • bluegt.jpg
    bluegt.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 316
  • darkblueorange.jpg
    darkblueorange.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 270
  • J6.jpg
    J6.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I am glad you had a great time celebrating the 50th(?????)anniversary of the Ford GT40. I love those pictures keep them coming. I am looking forward to the Goodwood Revival GT40 race on this side of the pond.
Now I am going to throw a spanner in the works not out of malice or jealousy more of historical accurancy. How can you be celebrating the Ford GT40 birth according to all the celebrations 1963? When the car was only a full size clay mould for the fiberglass panels on 23rd October 1963.
Abbey Panels monocoque chassis was first delivered in 16th March 1964. GT/101 the prototype Ford GT was revealed as a fully built car (it was completed in 16 days)at a press launch on the 1st April 1964 (April fools day).
You do not celebrate the conception of a child (you might do once its confirmed; but its the birth you really celebrate!!); you celebrate its birthday. Are these celebrations destorting the dates made for purely logistic (ie getting the cars together?) reasons or purely commercial reasons. Like I said I am just curious???
Regards Allan

The people involved (drivers, team managers) are not getting any younger. I assume that for the next 5 or 6 years we are going to have some kind of celebration at each anniversary.

I hope to be able to travel for Goodwood but it depends on my daughter schedule since she starts college next September. I was in 2011 at the Festival of Speed and the crowd was much bigger than at Amelia. The Amelia for the public (Hotels & Roads) is much better than Goodwood. I stayed at Gatwick and it was 90 min to Goodwood thru narrow roads and a few circles and driving on right (should be wrong) side of the road. Once there the place is incredible.

Famous and beautiful 1959 Sting Ray showcar/ SCCA champion racer was brought down for the event by GM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 256
While everyone at the Ritz Carlton ballroom was swarming the newly unveiled 2014 "Sting Ray" it was easy to snap a few shots of the priceless and largely ignored original.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 255
Another shot of the 1957 SS Sebring "mule" that was rebodied and became GM's styling head Bill Mitchell's personal race car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
GTRene, when I looked at these cars at Amelia they ran the spectrum on condition. I love the cars that are kept "original" more than those that are made to look bran new. Another thing I was told by Jim G. owner of J6, when you looked at J6 it has a New York registration proudly stuck on the back of the car and he told me he himself has put 40K miles on J6. Now that's my kind of car owner!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That's true. As a matter of fact, Jim probably has more road miles on J6 than anyone else has on any original car, period. He may have more road miles on J6 than are on ALL the other Ford LeMans cars put together- I wouldn't be at all surprised. There are photos of it on the street in NYC circulating around. Ask him sometime about trying to register it and convince the motor vehicle clerk that the car's entire serial number is "J6"....evidently they didn't believe it, or so I recall, if I have it right.

Wow, that must have been something trying to register J6 for the road. Never really thought of that. Patience would certainly have been a virtue in that scenario!

Back