IMG_0829%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_0833%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_0844%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_0863%20%28Small%29.JPG

and then
IMG_0868%20%28Small%29.JPG

some bad luck, left the car stranded on the far airside most of the afternoon
IMG_0920%20%28Small%29.JPG

I'm sure everybody knows who it is ( personally I dont) but I'm sure i've seen the cars on here before.
IMG_6595%20%28Small%29.JPG

Help arrives
IMG_6597%20%28Small%29.JPG

Woohooooo we escaped from the embarrassing breakdown in front of thousands.

Nevermind happens to everyone, and it was nice to go somewhere and see GT40's zooming around.

Does anybody know who's cars they were?

Hello... It's the first time Debbie and I have driven at Wings & Wheels, as we're usually more used to flying into Dunsfold. The dark blue GT40 with white Le Mans stripes is mine, driven by Debbie who kept up with "the boys". My car is a factory-built GT40 with 370+ bhp 302 cu ins. Regards... Andrew

Re: GT40s at Dunsfold, Wings & Wheels, UK 24/08/08

Hi All

Yes, it was my car on the fourth run when the gasket between the water pump and the metal plate blew out between the two bolts at the bottom which attach the plate to the pump, hence making the engine very incontinent.
Photo 7 - even the Red Arrows couldn't help!!
Photo 9 - Damn, I thought the Red Arrows had put up enough smoke to hide me from the spectators but I've been sussed!
So it was a recovery home job (at least it did not happen at Le-mans!).
I believe some other people have also had this happen to them?
Thanks to all those who offered help.
A very good day was had despite this little hic-cup.

Geoff

Last edited:
It was nice to see pauls car after reading his excellent build history and asking him a couple of questions last year.

I took the pics from jet park where the red arrows and RAF planes were. We (Delta Jets) came down from Gloucestershire to ground support the Black Arrows Hawker Hunter which displayed at the end of the show, So we were waiting for it all day, but gave us the opportunity to watch the cars going round and round us. Interesting point is that all the tyres piled up at the edge of the jet park are the markers for the top gear test track, so the next time you watch the program, remember there was no toilets for at least 16 pilots (inc the reds) plus groundcrew. To be honest I'm surprised the tyres didn't dissolve.

Apologies to geoff if any emberassment was caused. Just goes to show you cant do anything without somebody posting it all over the web :idea: I'm sure he saw me taking pics because he turned his back for some reason.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I took the pics from by the red arrows on the right at the end of the runway in the first video, crowd line is to the left travelling in East-West Direction, great video of the windscreen wiper in the second vid :) sounds pretty good though.

Hi Graham, I didn't turn my back on you intentionally - I hadn't spotted anyone taking photos. No embarrassment was caused to me but my wife thought it was highly amusing that I had been busted by being captured on camera! You should have come over for a chat. It's nearly fixed so hopefully I'll be out driving it again very soon.

Regards,
Geoff

Back