GT40s.com Forum - Potential Changes

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I would like to be associated with all of the remarks above. If you wanted to be equitable, divide your web site running costs for FY2003 by the current number of members, with manufacturers making a larger contribution, and then set that as a joining fee for current and future members.
If people decline, then strike their posts after 48 hours or so. If you have anything left over each year why not go out for a meal and a really good bottle of wine with her indoors and your family as a recompense for all the time you obviously spend on this web site. This site could take over your life completely if you're not careful.
Dave M

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Another server breakdown today.

Should'nt we now think it's time for all members to pay a nominal subscription for access to the site as the recent breakdowns have cost money to fix. Similary to maintain the current growth, we need to support Ron with the float to hire outside help.

Being realitively new here, I found this thread interesting, especially the dates of the early posts.

I looked at each post on this thread. I also noticed the amount of "Supporting Members" vs: non-supporting members.

It is interesting to see the many members that give advice by mouth, and no support by wallet. I am sure their are people that donated $$$ to the forum, and were not "Supporting Memebers". But it makes me wonder.....

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
IMHO, Ron, any financial burden related to the operation of this forum should be shared by those who find the information useful. We do have quite a few members who post a few times and then we never hear from them again, but we also have many very active members who post numerous times daily. I find it unacceptable that you must put any $$ out of your own pocket to fund the operation and maintainence of this forum--it may have started as a close knit community of gearheads, but since I joined just over a year ago the membership has almost doubled. It may be time for an annual fee of some sort, perhaps one that entitles paying members to a special perk (for example, viewing photos), then those members who decide they don't want to help support the forum financially could still participate and contribute their valuable knowlege to the forum for free.

As always, there's the option of adjusting the $$ level for the silver/bronze/gold supporting memberships, but you just did that recently. I, for one, was pleasantly surprised at the number of us who opted for the lifetime premier supporting membership--the only problem is that doesn't do much to offset the annual costs of running the forum.

Whatever you do, as always there will be those of use who will continue to support you in whatever manner we can. This forum really fills a need, not to mention it has become a real "community" for many of us. I've forged worldwide friendships via this forum, laughed daily at the hilarity posted herein, and marveled at the knowlege shared by our members. When I do finally get the $$ and confidence needed to engage in a GT40 build, I can't imagine how I could do it without the contributions (not talking $$ here) of our great members.

I urge those who have not established a contributing membership to do so. If you haven't done so, check out the "Support Community" link at the top of the page.

Doug

Back