GT90 from ground up

G'day Des,
As you can see, I managed to track down your GTs40.com entry. It's great to see how many guys you have made happy (suck, suck! You did say you'd start on one for me next; didn't you)? Richard O'Clery, Where are you? If you are a West Australian and you have/are building a GT40 you might like to be included in our WA GT40 Owner's spreadsheet.
Yo Desy my man, sorry about using this site to make contacts - It won't happen again!
Your work is so good, I've been telling everyone I know that I know you.
RAMB
icon6.gif

Some more pics
Doors, under door triangles and arch initial sanding done
rear guards under way
Des

Attachments

• DSC02829.jpg
    DSC02829.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,269
  • DSC02830.jpg
    DSC02830.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,173
  • DSC02831.jpg
    DSC02831.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,163
some pics
Rough sanding finished
Detail and panel matching work begins
Des

Attachments

• DSC02833.jpg
    DSC02833.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,076
  • DSC02834.jpg
    DSC02834.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,134
  • DSC02836.jpg
    DSC02836.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,108
No pics at this point
lots of fiddly time consuming stuff happening
straighten this edge, trim that bit, adjust the fit of another etc
will post some pics as soon as there is something to see
Des

That is so woody. Looks like a new Morgan model. Seriously, that is one of the most beautiful constructions I have seen. Seems a pity to just make a buck for moulding fibreglass out of it.

Dalton

russ
yeh yeh, if only it was.....

dalton
I don't think I will be able to bring myself to destroying it when all finished. It will be stored for future use/display or maybe just to remind me what was involved.

do you guys want me to keep a roughly weekly update or just when stuff changes?
Des

The more pictures and info the better, every little tidbit. I am going to be going through this myself soon with my car. I like your idea of making the buck in separate panels. I was planning on doing a one piece buck and having to make temporary dams to pull molds off for each body section. I guess I figured it would be easier that way, but your method is looking better now. Thanks...

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Des great progress, I just scanned through your biuld posts and it is great to see all the progress you have made!
When do you think you'll start on the windshield positive mold and what material will you make it out of?

Cheers

Bill

thanks guys, will do.
once I am happy with the body shape, the glass section is pretty much next cab off the rank
same/similar construction method mdf - mesh - grp - putty - elbow grease - dust

as requested this is what I am currently working on
adjusted the bonnet vertically to fit the guard contours and re puttied/sanded.
fixed "rebates" on guard where bonnet meets
adjusted the septum accordingly
all edges of bonnet are now straight
rear edge is now approx 20mm wide still needs a bit of putty work on top
guard edges need filling/sanding/straightening to match mating panels as does septum.
guards still need some contouring as well as obvious pot holes filled
Des

Attachments

• DSC02867.jpg
    DSC02867.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,729
  • DSC02868.jpg
    DSC02868.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,623
  • DSC02869.jpg
    DSC02869.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,674
kenshiro
Thanks yes I have
Jeremy made very different comments in the Top Gear magazine article (Nov 1995) he wrote from the very same drive.
"It is an extraordinary-looking machine...."
"It looks breathtaking and brilliant and wonderfull and evil all at the same time. I just couldn't wait to drive it"
"Small pieces of drool were appearing at the corners of my mouth when there came a wrap at the window and an American voice; "er can you shut it down""
"It had character, it had an honesty, a Detroitness, I liked it"

Bearing in mind that ford also had the turbos disabled to try and stop the journos from bending it as it was going on display in a day or so.
Des

Thanks for the pics Des, there is nothing better than coming in on a Monday morning to see new GT90 pics!!! . . .its looking like the new year until i get time to come over one weekend and see your handywork. . .work is full on at the moment . . .looking forward to it!! . .no doubt i'll make a few of the lads here jealous :)

russ
new year is fine,
why not tell tell the truth.....
you just don't want to come near here too soon in case I stick a sanding block in you hand.
look fwd to meeting you
Des

Phenomenal Work!!! I remember back in the day, this was my favorite Need for Speed 2 car. lol... I can't wait to see some updates.... wow... Incredible work on the stations too.. incredible..

Well i was rather hoping you would have seats and wheels on/in it by the time i get there so you could tow me up and down your driveway . . but i'm also guessing you've got dibs on first drive!!

Wow this is great!!... It’s good to see someone else building something like this as well. Your wood work is amazing… I wish I was able to do that. I can’t wait to see the chassis and suspension setup next.

Keep up the good work.

Back