Hand brake answer?

This looks promising. I'm still waiting for my RF, but I've looked at the pictures on their website about 10,000 times and noticed that the rear rotor has two calipers - one is the specifically for the hand/emergency brake - I don't think it looks appealing and the extra weight seems just a waste. The price for this system is attractive, and the fact that it's self adjusting would imply you never have to think about it.

Mitch D

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Or another way

Saab does hand brakes on the front wheels of their cars.

So Saab fronts on the rear and you have both in a ready made main manufacturers unit!

They are on my Dax but it's never been on the road yet so no idea how good they will be at dissapating heat etc.

Ian

Ian
The Saab system is good, but the beauty of the Marlin system is that you can convert just about any 1,2,4 or 6 pot calliper for rear wheel use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and it uses the callipers full size pads for about the same price as the tiny Willwood spot callipers, for very little extra weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Marlin are at next weekends (19-20th) Newark Kit Car Show I.ll have a look see.

A great idea, but I dont think the solderless nipple would be strong enough to hold the cable for long ! Only any good where you have sufficient room to install the spacers into the caliper, most larger brake systems would just not have enough room for this, we run the tightest of clearances inside the wheels as it is, so check carefully before you buy, the examples given by Marlin are for small lightweight calipers at present. Frank

Looks like a clever idea, but I agree with frank. there certainly isn't the clearance on my setup for it to fit.

Altho the wilwood spot calipers are a bit basic & they need a spacer making for wider discs, has anyone identified any problems with them??

The Wilwood mechanical spot calipers look rather small to me and I wonder about their ability to hold a car on much of an incline. Especially as the rotors cool and shrink a little bit. Also how affective would they be in the role of emergency brake? I am considering using small hydraulic calipers and acivating them with a master cylinder mounted to a hand lever. I would think they would be more affective and would serve better in the role of emergency brakes. The only thing I am wondering about would be if they would be considered "legal" as a parking/emergency brake here in the US. Wilwood makes some small single cylinder floaters that are almost as light as the mechanical spot calipers. I also think that it would be easier to run the hydraulic brake lines than to install the cables for the mechanical calipers.

Eric. In the UK the hydraulic handbrake is not OK. The car must have a mechanical means of holding the car. Hydraulic handrakes are used extensively on rally cars, but they maintain the mechanical linkages as well for MOT time (it is a requirement to be fitted at all times, but is only checked for efficiency at MOT time). On events the mechanical system is adjusted right off so that it doesn't interfere with the hydraulics, and at MOT time the linkage to the hydraulic cylinder is removed, and the mechanical system adjusted properly.

Eric, Agreed a hyraulic caliper would perhaps perform better, but it's worth pointing out that a hydraulic h-brake will fade over a few hours. So if you park on a hill & intend to stay for a while, don't forget to leave the car in gear!!!

As Lee points out, in the UK the law states the handbrake must be 'mechanically operated'....

Back