Hello from Connecticut Newbie

Hi all - I've been looking for a new car project for several years now without finding anything that really got me excited about getting back into the garage. Several months ago, I saw an article on the success of the GT40 in the late 60's which led me to fire up the old google machine to see what else I could find. One of those links led me here. The vast knowledge base of the members here and everyone's willingness to share info, has gotten me to the point of putting pen to paper on planning my GT40 project; looking at vendors, engines, transaxles... along with the costs and lead times for sourcing everything.

In the late 90's I built a Cobra, drove it for several years and then sold it in 2010. Since then I've struggled with what to do next. I really didn't want to build another car from the ground up. I felt like I already did that and although I liked building the Cobra (more than driving it, which was still a lot of fun); I thought a restoration project would be the next challenge and as a bonus I wouldn't have to go through the pain of the CT DMV inspection process to get a VIN number. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that really grabbed me; although I did pick up a 95 Full size Bronco that I toy with when I feel the need to do something in the garage.

I didn't intend for this to be so long winded, but if you made it this far; I just wanted to say thank you to all who have contributed and all who maintain the site. It has really put a charge in me.

Hope one day I can return the favor by sharing my experiences as well.

Rob

Rob,
Welcome to the forum...there is a wealth of information here.. Several companies offer a roller, that might interest you. Do you're home work and decide which GT40 you like best.
I have spent a year kicking around the pro's and con's. Best of luck to you.

Walt

Rob, there are several examples here in Connecticut and I'm sure at least a few of the owners would be glad to let you look over their cars so you can make a decision as to what would suit you best. Also, keep checking the various forums for a car for sale. This would solve your construction and registration issues. If you need more information, send me a PM through the forum (we normally don't post phone numbers on the forum itself due to the public nature of it). A.J.

Walt and A.J. - thanks for the welcome.

A.J. - happy to hear there are others from CT and look forward to meeting. Towards the end of my Cobra build, I found a Cobra forum similar to this one; similar rules and layout. Outside of meeting others on the same journey, it was where I ended up finding a painter; the one thing I was not prepared to do... it was also a good source for finding unique inspection items like how to create a temporary heat shield for the side pipes and creating temporary reflective markers for the back of car since the taillight covers did not contain any reflective properties...

Rob

Back