Help me find a mystery part

My take on all of this is that you should isolate the radiator. Adding a ground circuit, and/or zinc anodes would ensure problems should there be a ground fault anywhere else on the chassis. Impressed current will quickly degrade the radiator.
Isolate it and change the coolant annually will do. I have yet to see a modern car without an isolated radiator.

I understand the usage of sacrificial zincs on boats, and you are somewhat mistaken as to their purpose. They are used to protect against galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals connected by seawater, but are of limited value in protecting against stray DC. If the boat's hull is part of any significant DC circuit for a length of time, then your zincs will very quickly disappear. Relying upon zincs to protect against faulty electrical systems is a very expensive band-aid covering a larger problem.

That said, I've never before heard of sacrificial zincs used in a car, and I'm still not clear on what they would be intended to protect against.

Thanks for the ideas Buddy and Tim. If I can't find the Toyota part, I may combine both of your suggestions into one.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I may have a working solution to isolating the radiator. Ironically I'm currently tackling this issue right now.

Here are the isolators I am about to install. They are manufactured to isolate the ECM from vibration on Detroit Diesel engines. They appear to be made of silicon so they should be able to take high heat. The Detroit Diesel part number for a set of 10 of these isolaters is #23512307. It will take 8 per side for a total of 16 needed. Two packages will be required.

Also needed are 8 shoulder bolts as shown in the picture. I'll see if McMaster Carr has them shortly.

I should have these assembled to the radiator supports in the next few days.

003-1.jpg

Last edited:
You guys do realize you'll never fully isolate it, right?

As obsessive compulsive as I am (and you know I am :D ) even i'm happy enough just RTV'ing silicone to the sides and underneath it and calling it a day

Back