How fast or quick are the SLC's?

I'm with Fran on this one, I used a 2.3 first gear in a 300hp 500kg lotus seven and it did a 0-60 time of 2.8 sec on dot tyres in first gear. and no traction control, just launch control.

john

It would be nice to have some numbers. Yes, every car is set up differently but it'd be nice to know that an ls376 with 325 pilot sports and a Graz did 0-60 in 3.4 seconds without traction control and 3.1 with traction control with a HARD launch. It's an easy test and is a useful stat to throw around. I started a thread when I was new to the forums asking people to post up numbers and it went nowhere. After doing some digging, I found that someone recorded 0-60 in 3.8 with an ls376, no traction control, cold nitto invos (not the best performance-wise) and a slow 2nd gear change (caught off gaurd since 1st got them to 58mph).

That being said, Ken, over time, you'll start to care less about numbers with the SLC. Stay on the forum long enough and you won't need stats to prove it to yourself.

Yes, I am serious. I have put aside serious money, and am willing to do serious work for this project. Don't you think that serious research taking into consideration serious numbers is prudent? Or would you prefer posts like "cool....awesome....wow.... in response to your performance impressions? This thread was started with a question about the SLC's performance, and the only real numbers I have seen here relate to other cars. Do you see a trend?

As Ken said:

"stopwatches and skidpads just don't work for them"...

Just too many variables for serious research and statistical analysis, ie., engine type, engine tune, transaxle type, gear ratios, tire choice, suspension settings, driver reflexes to name a few. So "0 to 60", etc will almost always be an apples to oranges comparison. Even to the extent that performance on the track is always debated..."they had an xxx HP engine compared to ours, they spent $$$ more than us", etc. So although anecdotal for sure, driver impressions are as valid as the stopwatch.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
He got his car back with a fried clutch.

...which once again substantiates/validates an opinion I've held for decades: You're asking for trouble if you let anyone borrow your car for anything...and that's especially true if you loan it out to car mag/video people (as the above clearly illustrates).

I would submit that much the same is true with regard to loaning your car to Hollywood/Hollywood-type movie studios/companies...although the damage there might not exceed the odd dent, scratch, or upholstery tear.

And then there are 'valets'... :stunned:

'Sorry for the drift...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Just too many variables for serious research and statistical analysis, ie., engine type, engine tune, transaxle type, gear ratios, tire choice, suspension settings, driver reflexes to name a few. So "0 to 60", etc will almost always be an apples to oranges comparison.

^There you have it in a nutshell.

That said, the idea of putting a 'massaged' 572 'Rat' in the SL-C intrigues the stuffings out of me for some reason. Yeah, I know...'weight'...'center of gravity'...'the SL-C isn't a drag car', etc., etc., but, the idea intrigues me none the less. I'd like to know how that setup would fare 'real world' compared to, say, a massaged' LS-7 if each were set up and tuned to their particular optimum (suspension/gears/tires, etc.).

Yes, I am serious. I have put aside serious money, and am willing to do serious work for this project. Don't you think that serious research taking into consideration serious numbers is prudent? Or would you prefer posts like "cool....awesome....wow.... in response to your performance impressions? This thread was started with a question about the SLC's performance, and the only real numbers I have seen here relate to other cars. Do you see a trend?

Actually, I didn't even consider possible responses to my post.

I was responding to a post from a contributing member of the forum about my personal experience. Experience from someone who has owned, built, and driven the cars the member listed in his post.

Since you brought it up though, I would think comments like:

was from a dig or a roll? location? tires? drivers (did they switch)? conditions? how many runs? etc might serve the forum better...

You know, discussion that would put context to the experience if someone cared to know more. Constructive dialogue. Constructive debate even.

What I didn't expect is some member lurking for 2 years having contributed nothing to the forum in his time here posting memories of his young adulthood car fantasies in an attempt to invalidate real world feedback.

Frankly, I could care less about convincing you of the performance potential of the SLC.

If you can't draw conclusions from the proven track performance, owner feedback, the fact that every build is different, or the sheer physics of the situation....then...mmmm...can't help you.

Hopefully once you are done doing your serious research, saving your serious money, and finishing your serious build, you will do some serious performance tests, with serious equipment, and enlighten all of us with your serious results.

Last edited:
This thread was started with a question about the SLC's performance, and the only real numbers I have seen here relate to other cars. Do you see a trend?
Well... as I stated in the post directly above yours, an SLC with an ls376 documented a 0-60 of 3.8 under unfavorable conditions with his onboard computer. I think with some decent tires, and $2k traction control, low 3s are possible. I know you want data and I have none to support my estimate. However, is a guaranteed 0-60 (with an ls376) well under 4 seconds not good enough? Considering the SLC isn't necessarily designed for lower straightline speeds from a dig, that's pretty damn impressive to me. Get it on the track and it'll blow just about anything out of the water. For that, there is proof. Just do some searches on the abundant lap times and track records to prove it.

This car is not for the MAGAZINE DRIVER / RACER. Never was nor will it ever be. The entire purpose of this car is to PROVIDE A SUPER CAR STRUCTURE FOR YOU TO BUILD FROM!!!!! If you want worthless stats (again this leaves a lot of the performance #'s up to the ability of the drivers) than go pull up a 1/4 app where you could plug in weight, engine hp, tire size etc and it will work it out for you. If this thread was a joke than you got a lot of us if it was serious than as said many times in this thread you are shopping for the wrong car.

If you are looking for 0-60 or quarter mile numbers, you can use online calculators to get pretty close, based on the parameters you enter.

Which is sort of the point- you can't really say "An SLC will do 11.2 @ 110". It's meaningless since every SLC built is a one-of-one. There will be significant differences in weight because of drivetrain and interior choices, etc. Gearing choices in particular make a bigger difference than most people realize- even with the same engine in the "same" car. And drivers make a big difference as well.

Why not just build one? Then you'll know what your car does. :)

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
As long as mine is faster than my Cobra was, I'll be happy! ~500lbs lighter and 150 more hp, that shouldn't be a problem :)

One might expect that even a very basic review of any/all of Roberto's contributions to this forum, you would quickly realize - he IS the real deal. Even a non-car guy like me had that figured out pretty quickly..... :)

I tried a few 0-60 passes with my SL-C when it was first built. I tried to hit 60 in first but got fuel pump cut out at 58mph. Bummer. Had to slap together a quick shift to second but still managed a good time:

Tires: Nitto nt05a 335-19 in the rear
Drivetrain: LS376 - Ricardo 3.30 final ratio
Timing: Digidash
Conditions : Dry
Temp: mild 60's, quite nice
Elevation: 800ft -Texas flat
Pass: 2nd and final 0-60 run.
Result: 3.8 seconds

If I had been expecting to shift I could have easily shaved the time down to sub 3.5. With not Hoosiers, I think the 3.2 sec estimate is pretty reasonable.

These 2 passes made me realize the Ricardo is not made for 0-60. A 3.30 final drive is great for the track, I normally need only 1 shift between 3rd and 4th.

I'd think a Porsche tranaxle with a higher final drive ratio would be the call. 18" rear rims would also help acceleration at the cost of top end.

The combination of a high torque pushrod LS, solid motor mounts, tubular Al frame and a 3.3 drive ratio is pretty brutal. Plus I can get more g's on cornering.

Attachments

• dd60.jpg
    dd60.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 223
I know that Wayne's car (LS3 525hp +) Ricardo
His 0-60 times are sub 3 seconds. Didigash measured, with me in the car too!
Several runs 2.8, 3.0, 3.2 that I have actually seen.
Had a ball running around Daytona with Wayne at 158MPH on the banking with the Nitto street tires.(roadcourse).

Jack, you're right, I'm sure I could have crushed 4.5k clutch dumps and got better times, that was a first stab, not a huge amount of effort.

Back