How many RHD SPF GT40s in the USA?

That's all it was purported to be--a hypothesis. But with LHD SPF cars selling as low as the $50s in recent times, you can't argue the fact that they are not worth what they once were on the used market. While their values may have levelled off, they have shown an inexorable decline year after year until not long ago. Personally i think they dipped far lower than they should have and i hope the decline has been arrested.

RHD cars are so rare that there's little empirical evidence to establish their value today. But the simple laws of supply and demand would tend to suggest that they would retain more of their value. The fact that several LHD owners are expressing buyers remorse over their LHD decision would also lend credence to that theory.

Mike,

I get your point about RHD and I have mentioned in previous posts that I would like one. But I also want a Ferrari and a Lola :) Regarding RHD used, I have never seen one for sale outside of the R cars (which are beautiful). I actually don't think their prices will be substantially above LHD but that is only my opinion.

That said, it would seem that the market has really turned around for SPF cars. I believe it is just like what Mark said, the people that loved the shape and idea but didn't love the hot cramped reality bought one and then got out. Coupled that with the economy where disposable income took a dump and I think we ended up with a few cars that went too cheap.

That said those were a few years ago and the recent listing (of which there are very few) speak that prices have increased. Asking price is way up and while asking does not dictate selling price, when there is no inventory (I believe there are less than 5 for sale right now); asking price can dictate the market price.

In any event, it is interesting.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Currently the demand far outstrips the supply. I sold an ordered chassis today to a board member and he won't see it for at least 11 months.

In fact Hillbank is asking a $10K premium on the MK I they have ins stock for "Immediate Availability Premium" so I would expect prices of resale's to continue to be strong and rise in lockstep with the new chassis prices.

So maybe I was lucky to get in early at $65k....even if it is a shitty LHD MKII turd.

Personally, I don't see how my visceral reaction to looking at and driving my car could be hightened one bit by which side steering wheel is on, where the shifter is (as long as it is in my right hand), what my gear ratios are, who built my engine, who did the install, or what color it is painted. These are very personal decisions made by me to stroke my own ego without thought of what the rest of humanity thinks or what possible resale would be. Honestly, if my heart rate gets any higher when I am driving it, I best be heading in the direction of the hospital.

To each their own....enjoy it while you have it.

Respectfully,
Mike

This thread has unfortunately suffered from massive drift. :sad:

Getting back to the original question, I say again--how many RHD SPF GT40s are there in the USA? I can only think of a handful, but it would be interesting to get a more-or-less comprehensive listing? Shouldn't be that difficult considering there are so few of them?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
:

Getting back to the original question, I say again--how many RHD SPF GT40s are there in the USA? I can only think of a handful, but it would be interesting to get a more-or-less comprehensive listing? Shouldn't be that difficult considering there are so few of them?

I don't know for sure, but will try to get the answer.

I do know there will be another one as the chassis that was just ordered is RHD/RHS MK I.

I enquired with a company here in Florida about a turn key SPF Gulf Liveried car (wide body, they say its the only extra wide bodied car they know of here in the US) and what I found interesting other then the 179K asking price (GULP!!) is they advised that any car they order from this point forth will be a RHD model which I found very interesting. Unsure why but I believe they want to keep the car as authentic as they can and feel this really gives the full flavor of ownership. I did see the car up close and personal at a show in Celebration some months ago and no doubt its stunning although unfinished at that time.

Keith

Eh? Well that IS a turn up! Mike - it's your lucky day - cannot but see the value of LHD going through the roof now!

And the drinks will be ON you... :laugh:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I enquired with a company here in Florida about a turn key SPF Gulf Liveried car (wide body, they say its the only extra wide bodied car they know of here in the US) and what I found interesting other then the 179K asking price (GULP!!) is they advised that any car they order from this point forth will be a RHD model which I found very interesting. Unsure why but I believe they want to keep the car as authentic as they can and feel this really gives the full flavor of ownership. I did see the car up close and personal at a show in Celebration some months ago and no doubt its stunning although unfinished at that time.

Does the SPF have a widened front as well or just rear flared?

My recent purchase of a RHD wide body ERA is looking better by the day, got it titled and registered last Friday :pepper: and it's Hot August Nights here this week.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGyaVfIoYqw]GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

There are a couple widebody ERA's on the market, why not consider one, you could upgrade and paint to your taste and still have change.

Julian

For what it's worth Second Strike posted this information in 2010 (no breakdown by country):

Registration Instructions Page 2 of 2 Updated 5/14/2010
Model Percent
GT Mk I Race RHD 3%
GT Mk I Road LHD 28%
GT Mk I Road RHD 12%
GT Mk II Road LHD 48%
GT Mk II Road RHD 9%

http://www.secondstrike.com/Registration/RegistrationInstructions_GT40.pdf

Interesting thread. My order is for a LHD Mk1 wide body in resale red. Unlikely mine will ever be on the market for $65K, but who knows for sure. I've had my eye on the used market for a long time to make sure I understand the potential economics when I sell (hopefully not for a long time). My admittedly limited observation suggests that if a "deal" is more important that timing, color, engine, drive side, tail size, usage history, age, then a deal may indeed eventually be found. Knowing what I want, I did not think it likely for me to find it significantly cheaper used...if at all. Not exactly a huge selection available for sale at any one given time.

- LIONDOG

Last edited:
Julian, unsure about the front but I recall the rear looking wider then most. They said is was extra wide and just like the Lemans cars that raced in 68-69. It was nice but I can see paying 179K. No slam on them or the car and there is some "talking money" in that price but not much I bet. At that price I start to ponder other purchases like a very nice CAV GT 40 and a very nice Nissan GTR both easily gotten for 179K or a nice used fully loaded SPF (ZF trans etc) and a top end P-car. Makes one think.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
they say its the only extra wide bodied car they know of here in the US)

What they mean is it is the only Wide-Body available NEW for SALE in stock in the US.

There are dozens of SPF '69 type wide tails around. And yes, the front clip is the same on all MK I SPFs, we do not do the last version wider front end.

Retail orders have filled the factory order book so dealers are not getting units for inventory as they are prioritizing sold chassis ahead of stock. Thus there are are only a couple of units on the ground currently and some dealers are asking premiums for them.

I ordered mine in RHD for several reasons. The one I drove was a LHD and I thought the shift was not so hot. Also my car is going to be 80% track work and most tracks go clockwise so RHD is a weight distribution adavantage.

Maybe for the street it will be alittle adjustment, but probably not so much given that you sit pretty close to the centerline.

Will do some sort of cage for track safty and some sort of adjustable shocks so it can be streetable too, with AC. As for sprigs I am thinking stock rates, this will maintain compliace and make for softer edges at the limit. I am a big fan of letting suspension work as opposed to just having ultimate grip and go cart compliance.

For motor its going to be an aluminum blocked 302 based motor, probably with a 4.125 bore and 3.2 stroke, solid roller. Intake will be carb because everybody I have spoken to says the set up better have the same or more power than FI and the money saved on FI can go into great internals.
the other option is to go the 363 route with the 3.4 crank and hydraulic lifters. But I have never loved stroked motors, they feel thrashy and dnt rev so sweetly, admittedly i have no ford experience.

There is always the tmerptaion to go high comp and race gas only, but then you lose the ability to really drive on the street, so I feel a big bore 302 with 3.2 crank at 347 cu should yeild around 500hp, which has got to be more than enough when really used in anger. Plus the smaller motor and aluminum block should save 200lbs over a windsor setup which has got to help for braking cornering and even acceleration.

A question for the people here. Pretty much everybody seems to copy one period car or another in terms of paint. Would it be sacriledge to do a gulf blue with twin standard white stripes with the thinner white pinstripes outside. Or does doing non standard paint ruin resale(not that I am planing on it but you never know)

I think there is now 9 or 10 months to delivery so decision time is soon, all feedback appreciated.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Get ready to drive yourself crazy trying to decide. There are so many classic schemes to borrow from. I think any paint done with taste will not harm and may even enhance the value of the car. Buy it unpainted and have someone you trust paint it here.

SGT%20Kennet%20Persson%20GT40%20%20t3.jpg

silverstoneclassicfordgt40alexbuncombegarypearson.jpg

6009201631_f6fb6cf5f0_b.jpg

Gulf1.jpg

Mike

Thanks for those great pics. Was thinking something like the middle cars 55 and 13, do you have other pics from different angles, and/or can suggest where to find. That green look good too, but something about green cars, superstition, having lots of accidents. But yeah its going to be a Blue prob sky bue/gulf with white, possibly white with black and some red on side stripes or possibly third runner up a green.

Am going with the paint job from SPF, its OK and the car is going to see a lot of track time, so any paint job is going to get thrashed. Then later a few years on when the cars purpose becomes more street may repaint again. Plus I am putting serious $$$ into the motor with lighweight crank rods shaft rocker titanium valves etc so thats where any extra $$$ is going for now, that suspension and safety.

BTW what motor do you have.

Sean

Does the SPF have a widened front as well or just rear flared?

My recent purchase of a RHD wide body ERA is looking better by the day, got it titled and registered last Friday :pepper: and it's Hot August Nights here this week.

GT40 - YouTube

There are a couple widebody ERA's on the market, why not consider one, you could upgrade and paint to your taste and still have change.

Julian

that car is spectacular!!!! enjoy!!!

best,

pcb

Back