How many RHD SPF GT40s in the USA?

Note also that John selected the Halibrands for his MK I as would be correct for the pre-Gulf cars. The BRMs didn't get used until the Mirage series.

I certainly like the look and will do the same for my MK I.

Great choice
besides that, they do have a better offset to fill the front wheelwells better than most of the BRMS one can see on the SPF MK1´s.
Or is this only an optical illusion?

TOM

Last edited:
If I had to do it again I would have gotten a RHD car. Lance from Superformance said the same thing when I talked to him at SAAC 38.

Mike, when are you going to step up? You have been talking about a 40 for years!
Dave

Take a look at what has happened to my profession. The airline industry used to be respected and pay accordingly. No longer.

I will get a SPF GT40 one day, but it will be with inherited money. Thus I am not anxious for that circumstance to take place. In the meantime I am camped on the sidelines and watching the cost rise....

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Take a look at what has happened to my profession. The airline industry used to be respected and pay accordingly. No longer.

I will get a SPF GT40 one day,... In the meantime I am camped on the sidelines and watching the cost rise....

You may be on the sidelines in terms of ownership, but you should know that your posts over the years have provided me with a huge amount of GT40 and Superformance knowledge and enthusiasm, and with that the confidence to go forward with mine. I clearly remember that when I first joined the forum I immediately recognized you as one of few the "in the know" contributors I could really rely on.

And BTW I hugely respect your profession, but unfortunately can't do much about the pay situation. I would kill for a ride in a C5.

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
Add me to the list of remorseful buyers. I am still kicking myself in the ass for taking the McLaren/Amon replica Lance had in stock and not waiting and ordering a RHD. I wanted that livery, but I have come to the conclusion that I severely compromised the potential to closely replicate the actual driving experience of the original car.

Every time I climb into my Lola on the "right" (in other words, "correct") side, I wish my 40 was also RHD. To me, there is a remarkable difference in the experience sitting on the other side of the car.

Sounds like there may be a flood of LHD 40s coming on the used market.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Add me to the list of remorseful buyers. I am still kicking myself in the ass for taking the McLaren/Amon replica Lance had in stock and not waiting and ordering a RHD. I wanted that livery, but I have come to the conclusion that I severely compromised the potential to closely replicate the actual driving experience of the original car.

Every time I climb into my Lola on the "right" (in other words, "correct") side, I wish my 40 was also RHD. To me, there is a remarkable difference in the experience sitting on the other side of the car.

Glenn,

Here is your chassis when it was in our care...

Attachments

• Copy of PC190009 - Copy.JPG
    Copy of PC190009 - Copy.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 281
  • PC190015.JPG
    PC190015.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 261
  • P6100018.JPG
    P6100018.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 250
  • P6100028.JPG
    P6100028.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 276
  • PA090005.JPG
    PA090005.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 253

I would also suspect that the value of LHD cars will continue to fall, or at least will level off, while RHD cars will at least hold their original value, and perhaps even appreciate, as more and more people come to appreciate the authenticity of the RHD experience.

I've never been fortunate enough to drive a RHD GT40, but I have sat in several originals and made vroom vroom noises, and that was enough to convince me I could never do it any other way....:laugh:

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to have the "before and after" versions.

She looks a lot different now...

I clearly remember that when I first joined the forum I immediately recognized you as one of few the "in the know" contributors I could really rely on.

Well, hopefully when I'm full of crap, I will have issued some sort of, "I may be full of crap here..." caveat in advance...:laugh:

And BTW I hugely respect your profession, but unfortunately can't do much about the pay situation. I would kill for a ride in a C5.

They are remarkable airplanes. It's sad that we are sending perfectly good C5s to the boneyard, while Congress funds the construction of more C-130s that the Air Force has specifically said it does NOT want, nor need. :furious: ...but that's a discussion for the paddock!

Mike,
Add one more RHD in our sunny state. I plan on being in Monterey in two weeks and look forward to hopefully seeing some of GT40s that have said they are coming. My maiden voyage will be from so. Ca. up hwy 101 and 1 with a few buddies enjoying the coast and the roads. In the meantime, pictures will have to hold me over for the next few days.
Mike M

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 265

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would also suspect that the value of LHD cars will continue to fall, or at least will level off, while RHD cars will at least hold their original value, and perhaps even appreciate
What evidence is there that LHD car values are falling? Prices for SPF Mk I cars seem to be rising. In fact I would say there is a compelling argument that it will be reverse of your assertion. While a RHD car is a neat thing and more historically correct, there are few people that want to deal with the day to day practicality issues with driving a RHD car on US roads. Novelty doesn't mean more sought after.

Keith

They are remarkable airplanes. It's sad that we are sending perfectly good C5s to the boneyard, while Congress funds the construction of more C-130s that the Air Force has specifically said it does NOT want, nor need. :furious: ...but that's a discussion for the paddock!

Hey Mike (Drew)! Your thread has been started in the Paddock,(http://www.gt40s.com/forum/paddock/...rapping-c5s-buying-more-c130s.html#post415700) but it needs you to add some knowledgeable comments to get it rolling. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Keith

Poor old Mike (in Tulip Country), he just cannot win. There is he sitting there on his appreciating asset and boom! - someone dishes up yet another smack in the eye!

Better remove this thread before the value drops even more... people talk you know.. :)

Not so long ago, we all had this same conversation on this board and I did point out at the time that for almost 50 years the American Car enthusiasts in the UK demanded the real world experience of LHD. However, most owners of LHD Superperformance cars favoured LHD in the USA at that time as I recall and we're only talking about 2-3 years ago tops. So if this is true, that is a remarkable turn around in a short space of time and it can't be all value driven.

Whichever country you are in, a true enthusiast would always want the original experience of anything collectible in my opinion. One of the principle ways to tell a real from a fake GT40 is which side the steering wheel is on!

Apart from perhaps an Australian RHD import and the odd RHD conversion, 99% of all classic American cars on British roads were LHD, and that's the way the owners demanded them for that full "experience"

I enjoyed a succession of Mustangs and Camaros including a '67 GT350 and a 1970 1/2 Z28 and I wouldn't have dreamed of driving a RHD version the value of which (had there even been any) would have been much lower by comparison.

That's only my experience as an avid collector and racer of American muscle back in the day, besides which LHD gave us many unexpected advantages like being right next to the sidewalk on a hot summers day and idling lumpily along chatting to the local talent!

Great memories.. :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I would like to have a right hand drive but I'm very happy with the one I have and based on the new prices I'm getting happier all the time.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
So if I had a RHD SPF I would have a better shot of convincing people it was not fake... I never thought about it like that. I thought since my title says 1968 that was all I needed to prove it was real?

Keith

Even though there's an enormous amount of ignorance about the history (especially if one was not contemporary with the exciting '60's) I believe the chances are that anybody reasonably interested in the heritage of GT40's would walk straight past an LHD and head for a RHD to investigate further. That was my reasoning behind the statement. I know I would, although I appreciate ALL such cars, I would be drawn to a RHD car immediately to find out if it was real!

To be honest, I've seen so few in the flesh that I wouldn't know the difference between well executed replicas but I would know a REAL one.

The Superperformance is without doubt the finest (accessible to normal people) example out there, and to me, I would want to own one above all others as it has a very authentic LOOK. But, in LHD?

I hope you get my drift but I am not the right person to talk to am I? :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It is hard to get your drift when its initiated with an ad hominid attack. I am still waiting for any evidence that suggests that LHD cars are depreciating while RHD cars are appreciating. Its a great hypothesis but that's all it is.

Keith

It is hard to get your drift when its initiated with an ad hominid attack. I am still waiting for any evidence that suggests that LHD cars are depreciating while RHD cars are appreciating. Its a great hypothesis but that's all it is.

Did you mean "ad hominem" Stop using these big words. I have to look them up, and I just did and you spelled it wrong.

Sorry not meant to be - I do not own one therefore etc etc.

I think there will always be a market for 'authenticity' but in a commercial sense, the growth area will be in practicality. So the entry point for most who can afford it will be in LHD. If SPF had only made RHD, they would have sold a fraction of what they actually have achieved.

What happens next, is up to the individual but if I were to start a replica business in cars, airplanes, coffee makers or yachts I'd make darned sure I use the head rather than the heart and go for the most attractive entry point (LHD) and go from there to accommodate peoples needs maybe RHD.

Don't misunderstand what I have been saying Mike.

Nothing else makes any commercial sense. As regards values, I have a difficulty valuing an emotional toy. I am just taking a $50k hit on a boat I've loved, and I don't care because I loved it.

That's it.

Back