HSR Daytona

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I have an old photo somewhere of #44 (Watkins Glen 92'?) and the name Bill Mazzoni
seems to be correct but I'll check on it....

That would be fantastic if you could find more information for my son in law.

We even approached Nick Mason at the Pebble Beach show a year ago about Nick possibly owning it at one time. He remembered the car and said he probably did own it for maybe two weeks or so...

Seems he had purchased it and then changed his mind about what he wanted to do and told his people to go ahead and sell it. But finding any proof would be pretty difficult.

Thanks!

Kirby

That would be fantastic if you could find more information for my son in law.

We even approached Nick Mason at the Pebble Beach show a year ago about Nick possibly owning it at one time. He remembered the car and said he probably did own it for maybe two weeks or so...

Seems he had purchased it and then changed his mind about what he wanted to do and told his people to go ahead and sell it. But finding any proof would be pretty difficult.

Thanks!

Kirby

If it's the old Solar Productions car, then it was Mazzoni's. Bill had the car until around the mid 2000's. Our Chevron, Bill and Henry Payne in the Daytona winning Porsche 907LH used to go at it all the time. At the time Bill had a Cosworth YBM in the car. Has your son gone back to the original FVC or BDG or does he still use the YBM?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
If it's the old Solar Productions car, then it was Mazzoni's. Bill had the car until around the mid 2000's. Our Chevron, Bill and Henry Payne in the Daytona winning Porsche 907LH used to go at it all the time. At the time Bill had a Cosworth YBM in the car. Has your son gone back to the original FVC or BDG or does he still use the YBM?

So, straight from the owner himself, Gray says...
'He' being his father.

He bought the car in the early 90,s (92 maybe? I'll have to look). before that the car had been at a driving school in France. The history of the car is well documented through the first 2 owners; Solar Productions and Jean Sage, then it gets murky through the mid / late 70's. Right around 1980 is when it briefly passed through Nick Mason's hands and shortly thereafter ended up at the driving school. It is assumed that it was campaigned by various European privateers through the mid 70's but I don't have any documentation on that.

Further to that, Gray says...
Yes in fact he had it way before that (early 90’s). There were 3 Solar cars total so his buddy must have had one of the other ones. mine was the only one of those entered in Leman in 1970. The other 2 likely both had Cosworth FVC’s (that was the most common engine used in the B16) and were used in the race recreation scenes throughout the movie.
Ask him what color it was? I have a “screen cap” picture of my car and a green B16 being passed by a Ferrari on the wall in my office. If I get a chance I’ll look through my Chevron book and see if I can find the serial nm’s for the other Solar cars. Mine is DBE 28.
My car originally had a BMW motor; my dad upgraded it to a Cosworth BDG a couple years after he bought it and I’ve now gone back to a period correct FVC.

So that's what the current owner knows for the moment.
I think you're thinking about another Solar B16, right?

Regards,
Kirby

Back