I never trusted those rear clip side clasps !

view.html

Hopefully the image will come out, but I made my own using 2 bonnet releases from a Subaru. The boxes are from an electrical parts shop. It is cable operated and mounted on an RF.

John

I have been meaning to have pins and clips as the race cars had fitted but the CAV solution appears a great idea. Does the catch open if the cable breaks or comes loose? I suppose also it would take longer to open the rear clip but I think if I was in that much of a hurry I would pull the T handle on the dash labled FIRE and call the insurance company with the news. Regards

John,
Please e-mail me more info. What Subaru and anything else you think maybe important. More photos would be greatly appreciated also.
Thanks The car loks great.
John

In theory, if we are getting a significant pressure buildup under the rear clip, then we are also getting the side benefit of some minor forced induction
smile.gif
If this theory holds true, then I would be making the extra effort to hold a "pressurised" clip down rather than relieving the pressure... I'll happily accept some free extra ponies wherever I can, however small they may be
grin.gif

By fabricating a cold air box around the carburators or fuel injection system the air being forced into the upper scoops could only go into the intake. The engine can only pull so much air, leaving the area above the box with a positive pressure. Once the air box is pressurized, then no more air can travel into the scoops so it will pass around the car instead of into the rear clip area. This may be the best way to keep the rear clip from blowing open at speed, and the ram air effect improves performance. Every original GT40 I have seen has some sort of air box around the intake, so maybe Ford was on to something.

I don't mean to get off the subject, but what kind of rear view mirros are those? Trick indeed. And as for the '68 Shelby hood pins setup, well done. I'm a stickler for originality but those things are just plan cool and will make their way onto my car.

Thanks.

Hi Mark,
My apologies for the late response. I just returned from a 10 day vacation in Florida.
Those side mirrors are off of a 86-87 Mazda RX-7. They have been discussed in detail on this forum. a search should produce lots of reading material. These mirrors are also remote controlled.
How about a picture of that ERA of yours. We all luv to see those ERA's
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Should have looked up the mirrors in search. Rookie, that's me.
As soon as I figure out how to take digital photos and get them on the site, I'll post some pics. The 40 has been a challenge but the end result will be worth it.

Hersh,

Great idea with the rear catches. I'd like to make a comment about your mirrors too without deviating from the main subject. I've been planning on placing mine onto the fenders like some originals did but after seeing your photo I might just place them where you did.

I hope someday to be in your area and pay you a visit.

Have fun!

John

Gee John,
I don't know how I missed your post.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
Me and John worked real hard on placing those mirrors in the proper spot for maximum visibility and safety. I would set in the car and john had the dubious job of holding and adjusting the mirrors until I got all the rear vision I could. It's important to make sure the mirrors are set in a nutural position so that you have equal amounts of adjustability in all directions. If you dont then you may wind up with a mirror set at it upper or outer limits when adjusted. It takes a bit of time but it was worth it.

Hersh
smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hershal,

Gordon and myself thank you very much again for the use ofyour car at the Carslile show. Gordon told me that you drove the car for some 600 miles prior to collection and transport to the show and then we had to drive it another 200 miles to Carlisle. Great car and I love the rear safety clips. They are very much in keeping with the era of the GT40 and have been well "frenched" into the body work. Well done.

Enjoy the Spring Fling and I hope to see you at the "Run and Gun" with our new car.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back