I want to know what all you guys are building or waiting to build.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I am building an Australian DRB GT40 - I have started with a part-finished body/chassis, suspension, engine (95' Mustang), transmission (Porsche GD50) & the previous owner's liberal application of bitumen spray paint everywhere ! It has taken a month to strip this off so I can start again, & I now have all of the front section finished & assembled. The next move is to turn the car around & start on the rear section (more bitumen !) The motor will go for a full re-build & will get an 8-throttle body injection system from DC&O here in Sydney - this is stunning system & I understand that the boys are just about to start exporting to the US ( www.dc-o.com.au ). Looking forward to keeping in touch.

Welcome aboard Peter,
I'm glad to see another Aussie GT40 owner join the group. Sounds like you have your hands full with all that stripping. I take it you have limited work space as well.
Hang in there Pete, before you know it that thing will be zipping down the road and your grin will be permenantly afixed.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hi all,

Magic web site - congratulations.

I'm buiding a 40 from a bare frame and a glass body. A challenge! The spaceframe is very good, with a full cage in the cockpit and additional bars back to the engine/gearbox crossbrace, and a frame from this back to the rear of the gearbox. Should be very stiff. Have got as far as building the suspension - front is pull-rod, rear is as original. Front uprights Jag, rears from an openwheeler. Currently panelling the interior and front area. Every panel has to be made up in cardboard (perfectly) and then reproduced in aluminium. So far so good - panel fit is excellent. I've engine turned the inner sill and kick panels - looks very professional. First thing I did was incorporate an aircon from an RX7, as I needed to add mounting points to the chassis.
The fibreglass has caused some probs, with adjustments everywhere - I'm getting there!
At the moment I'm working in a stupid car port with shed - 2 cars wide and 1/2 car deep.
Again, thank you for the site
cc

Hi all,

My car is being built at present by Mark Sibley of MDA see www.gt40uk.com

He used to work for GTD, and has made an evolution model.

It's being made for the GTD40 club competition series which includes hill climbs and sprints.

Engine is a 331 - Ford SVO block, steel crank, H-beam rods, JE forged pistons and rings, Vctr Jnr Heads, custom cam. 8 throttle fuel injection, MOTEC M48, 8 coils - full sequential.

Full roll cage, no carpets, just alli pannelled.

4 pot AP Racing brakes all round.

Quaiffe differential.

Part rose jointed suspension.

Painted dark royal blue with silver stripes.

Should be ready early April. I will post some pics later this month.

Regards,

J.P
wink.gif

Well, frankly I'm more confused than sure.

I'm looking for a turn-key car...though the idea of a long-term project car SOUNDS good, it's not practical for me.

So I was all excited about a CAV but then why not get a Roaring 40's but then again, I'd be better off if I was going to track the car at any point with something like the New Zealand tube-frame replica.

Sigh...so much to think about...any input would be appreciated.

I another GT40 wanna be. Recently I decided to build a house so my plans have been pushed back a few years however I am still keen and motivated to make it happen. I am only 25 so there's plenty of time!!

I will most probably stick with the Aussie manufactures and support the local product not just because they are local but they appear to be excellent products.

I have already visited the RF factory and spoke to Robert and was very impressed with his product but more importantly about the way he runs his business. Not only did he show me his car but he demonstrated how his buisness operated and what happens for example when I order parts, call for help etc...

Next time I am in Queensland I will endevour to visit the GT40 Australia factory. They seem to have a high level of customer satisfaction as well.

Havn't decided on the engine yet. Looking at a 302 Windsor or a modular 4.6 DOHC V8. Have done quite a bit of research on both engines and have found quite a bit of info on what they are capable of, and parts avaliable, reliability, and drivablity. Intially I will probably be looking for 350 - 400 hp daily driver capable of doing the odd track day, hill climb etc...

Looking forward to the future...

Cheers,

Danny

NASA

Not sure what you mean regarding an NZ "racecar". As far as I know, no one has significantly raced the NZ cars of Phil Ware.
Not that it couldn't be done...just that I haven't seen anything.

If your plan includes significant track time,
it is logical to look at cars that have
a "track" record (please forgive the pun).
Certainly GTD's have an excellent record in
the UK, but GTD's are no longer in production. The CAV's monocoques are completely different chassis, so I don't think you can compare them with certainty.

I see Mark Sibley offers GTD-like space frame
turnkeys, so that's probably an option.
I understand he has a purpose built racer
already under construction.

In the US, we really don't have anyone (yet)
with significant GT40 track time under their belt. Gordon Levy has tested the RF40 and gives rave reviews, but I'm not sure that
car is around anymore for you to test drive
with Gordon. We can see from the posts that RF40 intends to get more into racing down under this year, which should help others that want to race RF40s.

The other Aussie kit that seems to have significant track time is Peter Ransome's DRB. Bill Bayard has the only running DRB
in the US, and it runs great. But I don't think Bill's had it on an "official" race track. However you can get it turnkey
with lots of options of your choice.

My .02 for what it's worth.

MikeD

Ah, this is the new zealand car:
New Zealand GT40

And I'm pretty sure I wouldnt ever track a car with a monocoque...particularly a stainless steel one.

If the manufacturer were down the street MAYBE but it would be more trouble than it's worth if the thing got pranged on a race track. At least on the street it would be insured.

NASA Racer: Just get one of each!
smile.gif

CAV is developing a full race-spec car, and I believe that Roy HUnt at Finish Line Motorsports in Las Vegas is scheduled to receive the first U.S. one.

Re: tweaking the monocoque. What I was told is that CAV USA (Bob Lacey) intends to have a comlplete inventoy of spare parts available, including the monocoque. And that the cost for a replacement is really pretty reasonable. Of course, the labor costs in moving everything over from the dead car will probably kill you... Maybe Bob Lacey can weigh in and give more info on this matter...

Ah you guys are like drug dealers to a crack addict hehehehe.

Thanks for the info. I think I've figured out a financing scheme that would work but I have to wait out the balance of the lease on my 996...the market for those is so soft, I'm likely to have to keep it till lease end...2.5 years away
frown.gif

Mine is a DRB part built. Should arive next week. If all goes well, it should be home by the weekend. Its comming with a 351 which is supposed to be rebuilt, but it will be torn down and tweaked a bit. Hopefully will have the edlebrock or motec efi unit. Also have a hipo 302 in the basement with gt-40 heads that needs rebuilding. Will probably redo suspension and everything else to make sure it is up to par. Some panels need to be fabricated to isolate the fuel filler lines and get them out of the cabin. Probably needs several more.If lucky, hope to have it on the road in 6 mos. Hope I'm not dreaming. Currently it is painted blue and silver. Will probably change that as well.
Bill

There are not a lot of GTD's doing track time in the US - but there are a few. There are 3 of them that run at Willow Springs in Southern CA regularly. There are a couple of them that run in northern CA, at places like Thunderhill, Laguna Seca etc. I know there are several cars in the mid west and on the east coast. The only one I know who did a number of track events was the red GTD out of Virginia.

Hi all,

My Pantera-based GT40 is about 2 weeks away from having the body placed onto a tubular frame that will slide onto the chassi. We'll have to cut the Pantera chassi about 5" for the fit. After that, the fun begins with the internals. Those of you who bought my GT40 cd have seen the Pantera frame.

One of my first projects will be to create a wiring harness and make drawings from it for others that might wish to do the same.

Have fun!

John

I saw one of the Willow Springs GT40s (I assume) at ButtonWillow in California while I was there for Viper Days last September. It was blue, and looked absolutely stunning. I looked at it a while, decided it was too pretty to be real, and decided that a GT40 would be my next project. Before that, I was going to get one of the new body style cars, and turn my '98 into a dedicated racecar. It's kind of funny, you had about 70 pretty hardcore drivers, in Vipers, Ferraris, Porsches, and Vettes, and everyone had to check out the '40. Haven't picked a builder yet, but once I finally saw a live car I finally "got it".

Gentlemen,

True no GT40's are currently hardcore racing but GT40 NZ cars will be present on the track this quarter. GT40 NZ has been seen as the “cost effective starter kit”. We will continue to supply “Knock Down Assemblies” and stage built cars up to turnkey levels.

From the day I took over GT40 NZ I have sort the best expertise in sorting our car to meet the expectations the GT40 rightly deserves. A project is in place which will certify our car for serious racing. In order to do this we have employed a renowned chassis designer regarded in the Winston Cup winners circle and TransAm series, along with a leading SuperV8 suspension tuner with an F1 suspension drive train engineer.

NZ is blessed with a very active racing community. I know NZ may be as big as the average US suburb (4 million people) but we have managed to turn out Graeme McRae F1 Driver, Deny Hulme, the lead engineering mechanic for McLaren, Carrol Shelby’s engine builder is also a Kiwi and best of all Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon – Le Mans winners in our beloved GT40!

I will be making an announcement at the beginning of February on our new GT40 “R” version specification which I am very confident will be very competitive with all but the very best of GT40’s.

This will be offered as a Turnkey or a “Knock Down Assembly” (KDA) for pure racing or smoking most any V8 road cars and will scare the elite V12’s with its braking and handling into submission. Big claim I know but I will look forward to the Forums feed back on the announcement.

Our website is out of date and will be replaced shortly, I apologise for the interim inconvenience.

Finally, We are serious and please judge us by our future actions not the perceptions of the past.

Thank you for your time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Our website is out of date and will be replaced shortly,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, that's probably why I got this polite qmail auto response when I tried to return your e-mail:

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at paradise.net.nz.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out."

wink.gif

Back