Ickx - Daughter Vanina - works drive

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Vanina Ickx has been selected to drive in the DTM series in 2006. Here is the Audi Press release:
cccc Audi takes Belgian Vanina Ickx into the DTM

Daughter of Jacky Ickx is new Audi works driver
First woman in the DTM since 1995
Following in tracks of Michèle Mouton and Tamara Vidali

For the first time since 1995, a woman starts in the world’s most popular touring car race series: Vanina Ickx contests the 2006 DTM with an Audi A4 DTM in the new DTM team run by Dr Colin Kolles. The Belgian would not be the first female Audi works driver to show the men what’s what: Driving the Audi quattro, Michèle Mouton was the first, and to date, the only woman to win a World Rally Championship round. In 1982, the French lady narrowly missed winning the World Championship title. In the 1990s, the Italian Tamara Vidali created quite a stir with the Audi A4 quattro in Super Touring Car racing.

"Michèle Mouton and Tamara Vidali clearly demonstrated that a woman can come out on top very well in a sport dominated by men,” explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "We are convinced that Vanina Ickx possesses all the skills to be just as successful.”

The daughter of former Formula 1 driver and six-time Le Mans winner Jacky Ickx only started her career at the age of 21 in 1996. After her success in touring cars, she caught the attention of the public by clinching a class win and a podium position at the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps. She has already competed several times at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and in the Dakar Rally. At the wheel of an LM P1 sports car she narrowly missed winning the Le Mans Endurance Series (LMES) title last year.

"I’m absolutely delighted about the prospect of starting for Audi in the DTM,” says Vanina Ickx, who was born on 16 February 1975 in Brussels (Belgium) and lives together with her partner Fabien in Wiesbaden (Germany) since the end of last year. "Alongside Formula 1, DTM is the most popular international racing series – and without doubt the hardest. I know that things won’t be easy for me in DTM.”

Despite her petite figure, the qualified biologist weighs in at a little over 55 kilograms and stands 1.55 metres tall, she is anything but timid. Vanina Ickx thrives on speed and the taste of competition. She parachutes, was the first woman to cross the English Channel in an Ultra-Light plane and holds, at 136 kph, the speed record on skis down a ski jump.

<font color="blue"> Kind of makes you feel inadequate?</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif

eheh...nice post Dave,
usually many people thinks only TRUE man can drive so good as so many pilots of the past(woman never have the opportunity to at least try serious driving).
But I am sure a lot of woman can be better than too many claimed today pilots....only I suppose sometimes they have an non-friendy world around when they apply in driving.
The only sports where males can be better than womans are physical ones...just theme.

Drive a race car, or pilot a warplane is an activity they surely can do...and usually(sad to admit)females results better than males /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

....but no one..ME at first...will never admit it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Paolo

D

DavidTC

Paolo
Not quite true I am afraid. F1 is a demanding taskmaster physically. The high lateral and vertical g forces(5g) and the lack of physical comforts in the cockpit mean it is a sport for fit young men. To give just one example you need exceptional leg strength to put 1000lbs/sqin into the unassisted braking lines. Many male drivers have to go into fitness training to acheive this. It is also of course advantageous to have big feet to gain the 'mechanical advantage', which again militates against women.
Sorry its a bit like Federer vs Hingis.
David

ahh..didnt know this, really.

..this means i still can became a true Formula 1 World Champ..o_O... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The stroy anyway reminds me when I had my tour of duty in Italian heavy mountain troops(alpini Corps..I was a driver).
Driving 8x8 heavy truck monsters I was quite sure only a real man (as me) can do that...unless I saw a super modern Volvo truck..driven by..a pretty blonde girl... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...and all my ego fall down at once.

Paolo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lurk.gif

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Wasn't there a female F1 driver some years back (1970?) by the name of Lela Lombardi or some such thing?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Lella Lombardi

She did indeed. Search shows the following:
So far the only woman to have registered a top six finish in a World Championship Grand Prix, Lombardi took half a point for sixth place in the prematurely terminated 1975 Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona's Montjuich Park circuit. Driving for the factory March team, she contested the entire 1975 World Championship series but was replaced after losing her backing one race into the following year. Subsequently she raced sportscars and touring cars with some success into the 1980s. She died of cancer at the early age of 48.

Some women racers HERE.

Davina Galica held (might actually still hold - not sure) the women's downhill skiing record. 100-something MPH. I actually met her in the 90's. I was working at a race shop on Long Island (the old Bridgehamptom track) and she was instructing with Skip Barber.

Desire Wilson seems to be the better known woman racer though from that era.

Back