IDA's will not fit

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I just got my motor a couple weeks ago, for months the engine builder was been waiting on IDA webers. The engine is Dart block 427 with 9.5 deck height. I have it in the car with transaxle bolted up just to get all the plumbing done. My buddy shows up and we decide to put the read deck lid on, we found the deck lid has been fabricated with the area for the carbs off to one side by 1.25 inch. Its a SPF Mk1 and the area where the carbs protrude up through the deck hit one side. I am not wanting to take a saw to the deck so we started with options. Looks like with the added hight I have a problem manufacturing some kind of air-cleaner also. Down the road I was going to convert to EFI throttle bodies so that is what is going to happen. My question is what is the whole system worth together or should I sell carbs and manifold and distributor separate? What are brand new 48 IDA's worth with a box of jets? The manifold is windsor block manifold with spacers for the added deck height, the distributor has an extension on it for the higher manifold. I am willing to trade for EFI and Cleveland manifold for someone who doesn't like EFI. Idea's opinions welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_8964.jpg
    IMG_8964.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_9050.jpg
    IMG_9050.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_8967.jpg
    IMG_8967.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 613

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
That's a drag Jack. Especially with a chassis the price tag of yours. Did you contact SPF?

Regarding reselling, my opinion would be to list them as a complete assembly. New price is right about $3K, so something a little less than that for a new unused would seem appropriate.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
.... we found the deck lid has been fabricated with the area for the carbs off to one side by 1.25 inch. Its a SPF Mk1 and the area where the carbs protrude up through the deck hit one side.

Seems strange to be 'offset', how are other SPF owners dealing with this?

....The manifold is windsor block manifold with spacers for the added deck height, the distributor has an extension on it for the higher manifold. I am willing to trade for EFI and Cleveland manifold for someone who doesn't like EFI.

You have a Dart 9.5" deck height and the 351W is 9.5" too, why the need for spacers or are you saying the manifold is for a 8.2" deck 302?

The Cleveland is a 9.2" deck height are you sure that's what you need? Hall Pantera sells Cleveland manifolds; make sure you get the correct one for std port heads or raised port. They run about ~$650. Kelly Colefield sells complete EFI systems bolted on his own IR manifold casting, not cheap but excellent quality. Dennis Quella at Pantera Peformance, CO also has a nice EFI set up.

As you already have a manifold bolted to the engine why not consider using that as a basis for your EFI and selling the bare 48IDA's carbs?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
saying the manifold is for a 8.2" deck 302?

Yep thats the case, I also have the new MSD distributor and extention for the extra hight of the manifold along with a MSA 6 unit, I would like to sell package just for the ease of it but more than likely will have to sell individually. I have no idea what the issue is with SPF, I will call Dennis and ask. I don't want to cut the deck lid I know that. With EFI it will all fit as the throttle bodies are shorter and the fuel rail is on the inside rather than run on the outside like the carbs. Thanks for the info and send someone my way if you know of anyone.

Jack-
It looks like the way your linkage is set up, the shaft of the right-rear carb is going to take the torque load of operating both carbs in the left side. I was told it's better to place the link that connects the right and left bank in the center, rather the rear, so that there isn't any twisting of the shafts. But this may be outdated thinking - it was back in the '70s.:confused:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
saying the manifold is for a 8.2" deck 302?

Yep thats the case, I also have the new MSD distributor and extention for the extra hight of the manifold along with a MSA 6 unit, I would like to sell package just for the ease of it but more than likely will have to sell individually.

Jack, If you do decide to split the unit up, I'm looking for a 302 Weber 48mm IDA manifold. My IDA carbs are currently bolted to a Hall Pantera Cleveland manifold, so if you want to deal on that we can work something out.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
It looks like the way your linkage is set up, the shaft of the right-rear carb is going to take the torque load of operating both carbs in the left side. I was told it's better to place the link that connects the right and left bank in the center, rather the rear, so that there isn't any twisting of the shafts. But this may be outdated thinking - it was back in the '70s.:confused:

Your absolutely correct, I was going to change that but now someone else can make it the way they want. That was the first thing I seen and didn't like when I got the motor.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack, If you do decide to split the unit up, I'm looking for a 302 Weber 48mm IDA manifold. My IDA carbs are currently bolted to a Hall Pantera Cleveland manifold, so if you want to deal on that we can work something out.

Gary is a good friend and I am familiar with that manifold, we might have a deal going here.

Jack,
I may be interested in the Carbs. Send me a PM when you've worked out a price. I have a friend in the U.S that you can ship to.
Cheers,
Martin

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rick I am not sure who makes them but they are a real fine metal mesh and pretty cool. I would check out Red Line racing products.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
I may be interested in the Carbs. Send me a PM when you've worked out a price. I have a friend in the U.S that you can ship to.
Cheers,
Martin

Will do Martin, I really would like to off the system as a whole but if I break it down you will be first on the list. Thank You

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rick I found those screens you where asking about, matter fact I found the whole system thats on my motor. Here is the website. Ford V8 Webers 818 764-1901

My system sold for $3150, I am going to offer it and the msd distributor, spacers and jet kit for $3000. They were only used one time on the dyno run up.

Back