Importing a GT40 Replica into Germany

Has anyone experience of importing a GT40 Replica (GTD) into Germany ? I have somebody interested in my car but they believe it would be impossible to import a car under 20 yrs old without it undergoing a battery of tests and having to fit a cat etc.

Can anyone add anything to this?

Has anyone successfully imported a GT40 Replica into Germany ?

Thanks in advance

PAul

I have thought about this too,the rule in germany i think is that a car older then 20 years doesn't have to pay the special taxes (it's a lot per car) for new cars (up to 20 years old) it is a lot you have to pay above new value(you can always say your car costed 5000 pounds it's a kit car..very difficult to check).
I think cat's became mandatory in 1989(you have to look this up )if the replica is older then it should be no problem ,probably it isn't.
Another possibility is to fit a cat (from the scrapyard)temporarily to the car (however this will cost you maybe a new exhaust)
Third possibility to remove the engine and import it as car parts(however i don't know if this works)
a last possibility is importing it as an 1966 ford gt (get a copy chassis plate from some website it's around somewhere jwa automotive engenering or something like that)
and take a chassis number from some crashed car .
About this being legal....different countries different rulez.what is an old car..??the engine can be old the transaxle too...rest restaured?think of something maybe it will work..look into rulez ask people in germany who did it before...maybe you can find them on a german kitcar site(hope you speak german..if not drop me a line in this thread ..german is not a real problem for me...english is
smile.gif

good luck
dENNis

ps this is not a reply to encourage selling replica cars as real or entrap someone in doing illegal business..it's up to him...i am just trying to say that there are a lot of rules in germany ..and maybe there is a legal way to import the car..

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: dENNis ]

Hello there,

as I live in Germany, I think the main problem is not to import such a replica but to use it here in Germany as a "street legal" car. The restrictions you have to consider through our german TÜV are sometimes more than extreme. Guess this is the reason why you can find only a very small number of "out of Germany produced" GT 40 replicas - there where a small number of german companies who produced them here in Germany with the necessary paperwork of the german TÜV, but most of them didn't survive.
Regards,
gt40.freak

Try contacting Meyer Cars in Germany. They
build a GT40 replica, and may be able to
give you an update on current regs for road legal GT40's in Germany.

Fred Meyer....Phone# 02204/74479

Bill

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Back