Inspection of the NASA Champ's Limited Slip Differential

Hey there Everyone,

Well after quite a bit of time and over a complete race season of use, we finally removed the differential from the 2011 NASA Super Unlimited National Champion's car to give it a quick once over. This car has a bit more HP and Torque than the typical 911 GT3, but is utilizing the gearbox from a 997 GT3, so it should be pretty telling, just the same.

As you can see by the pictures, this differential is still in the process of breaking in. It shows no wear what so ever to the internals, and has not even completely worn off the protective coating on some of the plates yet. After inspection the differential's internal tolerances were the same as when we first took it out of the box. This is really remarkable as it has a great many race and test hours on it.

I just thought that some of you might be interested in taking a look at the results, as I know that durability of internal parts is always nice to know. For those that don't recognize the differential by the number of plates, it is made by OS Giken.

I look forward to seeing how many hours we can put in this differential before we need to rebuild it, I will keep you all posted, more pics to follow after this season is done.

Erik Johnson

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0360.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0363.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG0364.jpg
    IMAG0364.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 282
Good to know- you guys installed the Giken in my G96. I'm looking forward to getting the car on the road -- Sharkey

I am sure that you will be quite impressed with the performance, and I look forward to hearing your impressions in the future.

Erik Johnson

Back