Internal Fuel Pump - Slosh Pan

Here is the skinny on Hydaramat. It is a great product. We run a set in the Blue SLC enduro.

1) What are you trying to accomplish?????

a) A single hydramat in a long tank with fuel low and migrating away from high g's will not fix a fuel starvation problem. Unless the hydramat extends the length of the fuel tank bottom or you have multiple hydramats plumbed to get that moving fuel.

2) If your pump pulls to much suction, you can overcome the surface tension of the fuel in the cloth fiber. If you pull the fuel thru the fiber, you suck air regardless of how many hydramats are plumbed.

If fuel moves away from your hydramat pickups, you might not break surface tension, but you are no sucking fuel either.

Some race teams have had bad experiences with the Hydramat for these very reasons.

2) We use a low pressure high volume Carb pump from the hydramats (yes plural) to a surge tank. From the surge tank the High pressure pump is connected. The low pressure carb pump does not pull enough suction to break the surface tension of the fuel in the hydramat.

3) As with any specialty fuel system, testing is key. Get a bucket of fuel and set up your fuel system and test it under your perceived conditions before committing to the fuel tank.

James:

You could've used the pump how it was.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 187
Aaron

All the automotive pumps sit in a depression and act as a slosh pan.

The flat bottom tank when you get around 1/4 level of fuel and drive spirited will have fuel pickup hesitation issues. This will burn the poor pump up in time. If you keep the tank no lower than 1/2 when spirited driving then your ok.

I have changed enough of them in race fuel cells with and without internal slosh buckets including internal and external pumps.

The gear rotor pump is resilient but does not last long ran dry.

Ran dry means, no fuel - fuel - no fuel - fuel - no fuel. The cavitation pressures causes the rotor to eat itself and turn into fine metal shavings.

The expensive Aeromotive pumps will eat them selves in seconds. The Gear rotor style may last a yr.

I have a saying. "I hate tank diving"

Don:

The photo above only shows the fuel pump placement ( representing how the fuel pump fits). I also added a dividing wall inside the tank ( full height ) with fuel safe check balls.

Back