Intro & Looking for opinions/advice

Hi All,
I've been lurking on the forum for the past few weeks and am very interested in building an SL-C. I've read up as much as I can and wanted to introduce myself to the gang. I'm in Tampa, and my son and I are putting the final touches on a Factory Five Cobra...so it's time to look for a new project - planning for a few months out seems about right. Am planning to talk to Fran about his suggestions, but wanted to get any advice/opinions from all of you guys too. Over the past few years we've learned a lof about how to build (and more importantly, how not to build!) a car - so we'll be looking for a lot of help from you guys - thanks in advance!

My interest in more in the building of the car, rather than racing of the car – so it would definitely be a street car with an occasional race/track day for my son. I was happy with my decision to build my cobra with all new parts, and would do the same with an SL-C (prefer not a refurbed transaxle - I think!). I believe the LS376 with 480 HP is more than enough for me – would be interested to hear recommendations on transaxles. Options I believe are right for us include front lift kit; body prep & fit (did I mention I’m doing FF bodywork myself right now!); Handbrake (maybe); adjustable pedal box (to accommodate my son & I as different drivers) and the fiberglass internal package (is this “production car” like?). I like the idea of a rear wing (my son doesn’t like the idea!), but am also interested in the street tail (not the race tail) – I’ve seen threads of a detachable street wing ("Fling Wing"), and would be interested in your thoughts/pictures, cost etc.

Again, mainly wanted to introduce myself - and feel like I know many of you already from the amount of time I've spent reading your many threads

Stephen Hackett

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum and the SL-C "bunch". Lots of info here and from the guy's and gal's. Enjoy!

Welcome Stephen! The SLC should make a great father/son project and I think you are on the right track for options given your final goal.

The LS376 has tons of power and will keep the smile on your face. If I was doing it again I would just get the new trans box Fran is selling with the crate motor and he can get the motor at a good price. I would say just keep it simple if you can (not like I have) and enjoy.

Welcome Stephen,
Building a track/street car with your son sounds like a special time. Your son is lucky to have a gear head father that takes opportunity to bond through the hobby. Best of luck. You will find a very helpful group on this forum to share the build journey with you and your son.

The LS376 has tons of power and will keep the smile on your face. If I was doing it again I would just get the new trans box Fran is selling with the crate motor and he can get the motor at a good price. I would say just keep it simple if you can (not like I have) and enjoy.

I never thought I would say this but yes, an LS376 has tons of power in a SLC and is very, very fast. With more power, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not sure how these guys building super high HP TT motors are going use that power...

I can't believe I just typed that last sentence...I must be getting old.

Guys - thanks for the responses - now, all I have to do is eek out some shillings to pay for the car and convince my wife that an SLC is a good family car that makes sense :)

Pat

Supporter
Jack, you and I have something in common. When I brought the '40 home, she saw the frame on the CAV Mono, it reminded her she wanted all new appliances in stainless steel. Add $3,200 to the kitchen remodel.

EXACTLY Pat! Add, new ceramic tile flooring in the whole house (excepting bedrooms), new tile in two bathrooms along with vanities and commodes. Granite counter tops in kitchen (40 linear feet worth), all new oak cabinets, sink, high end faucets, all stainless appliances, etc. You get the idea. Close to $30K in all.

I'm not sure how these guys building super high HP TT motors are going use that power...

I can't believe I just typed that last sentence...I must be getting old.

:eek:: That's it. I just rescinded your "friend" status on my FB account.

Stephen, I too have been a lurker for several months and Fran at RCR is very helpful to answer your questions. Based on your preferences you can go with a SLC roller with a new LS motor and new Grazanio 6 speed transaxle installed by RCR. Motor and trans will set you back approximately $10K a piece. Check the SLC build threads on the Clubhouse and you will see Jimer's build. He just started a build based on the engine and trans just referenced. Also see Ytube videos of "SL-C Build"

Last edited:

Michael Fling

Supporter
Welcome Stephen. I prefer the street tail, but I wanted a removable wing so the rear bonnet could be opened. Thus, the "Fling Wing". Fran had actually been contemplating this before I suggested it. I have yet to see it as my delivery is expected soon. Regarding transaxials, I went with the Graziano. It is a a 6 speed gear box that is NOT refurbished. Fran can fill you in.... Good luck!

Back