Is CAV Still Around?

CAV IS ALIVE AND KICKING I'M HAPPY TO REPORT. You'll just have to look a little bit harder then some of the other manufactures. The person to answer your question is Johann Keyser. He's the US factory rep. and a top bloke in my book. CAV's US webiste is www.cav-america.com or you can reach him by phone @ 919-924-9891. In addition I just spoke (by email) to the company owner Jean Foure who, as usual, has responded PDQ!

Hi Jeff,

#176. Why CAV? It all comes down to personal tastes and what you want out of the car. I’ve been dreaming of gt40 since 2002 and have had a lot of input. I’ve driven SPF/RCR/CAV, been to club events, talked to owners etc. IMO What I’ve always like about CAV is that it has a lot of little options that make it more streetable/production car like. Rear glass over the engine and in the bulkhead not plexi-glass, doors close like a production car, rubber door seals are great, no black plastic eyebrows, ride quality, power brakes, separation between driver and passenger, body shape (SPF/RCR/CAV) are all little different, front sway-bar doesn’t hang down, I don’t care if it’s a continuation car or not to me a replica is a replica not a original. Again this is my taste everyone is different all of the manufactures make great products and it depends what’s important to you. My recommendation is to drive all of them, spend some time with the owners.

Alan

Hi Jeff,

#176. Why CAV? It all comes down to personal tastes and what you want out of the car. I’ve been dreaming of gt40 since 2002 and have had a lot of input. I’ve driven SPF/RCR/CAV, been to club events, talked to owners etc. IMO What I’ve always like about CAV is that it has a lot of little options that make it more streetable/production car like. Rear glass over the engine and in the bulkhead not plexi-glass, doors close like a production car, rubber door seals are great, no black plastic eyebrows, ride quality, power brakes, separation between driver and passenger, body shape (SPF/RCR/CAV) are all little different, front sway-bar doesn’t hang down, I don’t care if it’s a continuation car or not to me a replica is a replica not a original. Again this is my taste everyone is different all of the manufactures make great products and it depends what’s important to you. My recommendation is to drive all of them, spend some time with the owners.

Alan

Thanks Alan, nice write up. I have pretty much narrowed it down to SPF and CAV. What color, drive train? I hope you don't mind the questions?

Jeff

Jeff,
The color will be 2007 viper blue with twin white stripes, wide body, 17 inch wheels 12rear&8.5 fronts. Drive train will be ZF transaxle (ZFQs are out of production), 438 cid SB aluminum dart block, solid roller lifters and port fuel injection 630hp. I’m sure I will end up putting a racelogic traction control on it. I will be running 4 to 6 track days a year then drive the heck out it on the street. Cool feature with CAV if you run fuel injection they will put a balance pipe between the two fuel tanks so that you only need to run one fuel pump and never need to switch between tanks.

If you want more details PM me…

Alan

Jeff,
The color will be 2007 viper blue with twin white stripes, wide body, 17 inch wheels 12rear&8.5 fronts. Drive train will be ZF transaxle (ZFQs are out of production), 438 cid SB aluminum dart block, solid roller lifters and port fuel injection 630hp. I’m sure I will end up putting a racelogic traction control on it. I will be running 4 to 6 track days a year then drive the heck out it on the street. Cool feature with CAV if you run fuel injection they will put a balance pipe between the two fuel tanks so that you only need to run one fuel pump and never need to switch between tanks.

Alan

Thanks again Alan.

Jeff

Jack, I just watched the video yesterday. Cool. I wondered if you still had your car. Nice to know you do.

Jeff F, I'll mirror what Alan B says.....It really is personal taste. I'd never disrespect any other manufacture (well the bigger ones anyway!) because they are all dam good products. It just comes down to what YOU want. Like Alan stated and again IMHO, a replica is a replica so I went for the CAV SS chassis and nicer interior. There are other reasons.....like the people I've dealt with at CAV...Johann and Jean. Good sincere people always willing to help with any questions who are usually there when you need them. I know most of the other company's have good people in charge too because you'll see them posting on this forum. They stand by their products. Good luck regardless which you chose. Be warned though...you buy into a very elite group and you'll be treated like a VIP most places you take the car.

Jeff,

Alan

Alan, why such a small engine? Aren't you going to need more power than that?

After all, those new ferrari 458s at your track events have less power and 1,000 lbs more weight. They might be able to keep up.

Cheers.

Alan, why such a small engine? Aren't you going to need more power than that?

After all, those new ferrari 458s at your track events have less power and 1,000 lbs more weight. They might be able to keep up.

Cheers.

Well I need all the help I can get...

Alan, I'm kidding you obviously.... Sounds like a helluva motor. I applaude the choice of an alloy block - that's a nice (and probably expensive) choice. Please post some pics as your projects moves forward - we love pics!

Back