"Island Magic"

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
In a major triumph for age over technology I have finally managed to convert my in car Video from a rather obscure format to something U Tube can accept, so titled GT 40 at Magic Island should now be on the site. If someone is smart enough to sort out the link Ros will buy them a beer. There is also a short section from the local TV station that shows a little footage of the car from the outside

Iain

Iain

Ros owes me a beer, nice clip Iain. YouTube - movie2.wmv

Cool video Iain. They sure were treacherous conditions....

Geez that blue Lotus was flying at the end there........... i think my car was kinder to it's tyres on the drying track, we still had good pace to the end, if only we had a few more laps....

Tim,

I did consider editing out your passing manouver but in the end but some misplaced sense of fair play made me leave it in..... its time to leave those antiquated emotions behind......next season

Iain

Great video Iain. I also noted that you didn't use the windscreen wiper even when water was thrown up all over it. Does the wiper work, or is it just simpler to let the water blow off? Or wasn't it as obscuring in reality as it looked in the video? I'm not a racer so I'm ignorant of these matters.
Dalton

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ah Dalton,

The most likely answer to that, which you are not going to get from Iain ;), is that whilst operative wipers are probably mandated by the rules, maybe officialdom never actually checks that they work! Iain has probably whipped the armature and field coils out of the wiper motor to save weight. :lipsrsealed: :lol:

Actually, a good coating of Rain-X on the screen is pretty effective by itself anyway.

Edit. Sorry Iain, just my warped sense of humour. If I really thought that was the case, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I do note that the wipers are sitting in a different position later in the race, so they obviously do work!

Last edited:
Guys, at that point of the race, the track was almost dry. There were still a few "rivers" running accross in places. I had stopped using my wiper, as the ignition cut out a few times earlier...... pommy cars and electrics!!
Most cars were really suffering on well used wet tryes which were hot and squishy.

On RAINEX: we also used the anti-fog rainex on the inside of the screen - it worked very well.

Russ,

Having been pinged at a race meeting for not having an operating windscreen wiper on my Cobra (Which has no windscreen ...I kid you not) the wiper on the GT is fully functioning. I think the angle of the camera on the screen is a bit missleading, from the drivers position it was better to let the rain roll up the screen rather than smearing the screen. A couple of places in the track had running water and as you passed through those you were basically blind ! The most notable spot was approaching the straight where speeds are quite high and there is a fair amount of lateral G on the car, a sobering experience.

Really good to see your car on the track Russ, the attitude on the car looks spot on, well done, have you solved your bearing problem ? We use the rear bearings from a 997 Carrera Cup Porsche ( I know, I know, sorry guys)

Iain

Back