James Douglas Morrison

Charlie Farley

Supporter
40 years ago, James Douglas Morrison passed away in Paris.
20 years ago on 3rd July 1991 , i visited the cemetery , Père Lachaise Cemetery , in Paris, where he is buried. We played 4 Doors songs the night before, as a tribute, at the prestigous Paris venue of ' Le Bataclan ', supporting The Charlatans.
The next day, both bands and road crew attempted to visit the cemetery.
We were met by the CRS, the feared French riot police.
What a bunch of animals they were. No access to the cemetery was allowed and indeed, i witnessed two of them physically pick up a young teenage girl and hurl her down at least 30 concrete steps , into the metro entrance.
Naturally tear gas was fired and at one point they deployed snatch squads.
Enough of the government toys that spilt blood on the cemetery walls.

A controversial figure, Jim cut a lone path. both reviled and adored,at least he was an individual. His death is shrouded in controversy.
If he died from the suggested heroin overdose, why didn't he exhibit the classic symptoms.

Anyway, i post the video in rememberance of one of my heroes.

RIP Jim, Mr Mojo Risin.

YouTube - ‪The Doors - Roadhouse Blues (Live)‬‏

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I seem to recall that a few years ago the Lizard King's plot rent was unpaid and Mr. Morrison was threatened with eviction.

When the Frogs throw you out of your plot, do they put you at the kerb or what?

I have always liked the Doors music, but I really like the bass lines they used. They have a hook that grabs you and pounds your brain.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Featured on the Andrew Marr Politics show as the finale this morning.
Everyone (five youngsters [well twenty somethings]) stopped their pre Henley breakfast here just to watch . "Light my Fire" still lights fires it seems.........

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not sure why he would be a hero to you Andy.
While I'm not putting a lot of stock in the movie made about him, his totally uncontrolled use of illicit drugs and alcohol finally took him and his talent to the grave.
I mourn the loss to the music world as Jim made some very positive contributions - some of which are among my favorites.

About twenty years ago I was a care taker for an oceanfront property which was for sale. I also was a fisherman and exporter of live tropical reef fish and had my boat and aquarium setup on the property.

One day I was entering the property and a guy drives by, sees the for sale sign and asks to see the property. I told him he needed to call the real estate agent and started to close the gate. The garage doors were open inside and as I was closing the gates he saw the aquariums and ask about them. I told him I collected tropical fish and shipped them to wholesalers around the world. He said his son always wanted to do that for a living and they were both really into saltwater fish, I told him to come in I'd show him around. He mentioned he was looking to buy on the ocean and maybe put in a recording studio, said he played mostly jazz type music. We talked for awhile mostly about the high maintenance of living on the ocean, and a little bit about music, which it sounded like he was really into. Since he was leaving the next day and had an aquarium at home in California, I ended up giving him some free fish for it. I told him to come back the next day on his way to airport and I'd have them packed up and ready. He shows up the next day to pick up the fish and as I'm walking him out I asked if he was someone famous, and he just said yeah, in a band. Asked him the name... The Doors. The guy was Robbie Krieger.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Rick,

Pat's ( his girlfriend ) family paid for the plot outright.
You may be aware that Pat died some 3 or 4 years after Jim.
After all, seeing as all his royalties now go to her family,
its the least they could have done.

Randy,

Please explain.
Why do you find my liking for Jim Morrison so hard to understand ?

Best to all.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

Please explain.
Why do you find my liking for Jim Morrison so hard to understand ?

While Jim was a tremendous talent - he was a womanizing self absorbed drug addict by all accounts I'm aware. To me, that does not a hero make. If it's good for you, I'm fine with that.

History shows us that a vast percentage of gifted, talented, artists, poets, visionaries etc lead lives consumed by drugs, alchohol, violence and debauchery..........

In my opinion, these troubled souls are often the shapers of the Human conscience and consciousness. Only through extremes does the species grow. However, I always cringe when the word 'hero' is associated with them.

So I guess I understand both Andy and Randy.

Ps. The Doors suck! ;)

joke

ps. I'm with Cliff. WHAM ROCK!

I'll get m'coat............

Last edited:
Back