Jay Leno's Garage new LS1 Corvette

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
$60k per gallon? Jeez you would spend your life worrying about stone chips. The carbon fibre look does not grab me, I'd rather save on the special clear coat and have a nice paint job.
Awesome video thanks for posting it. What would the drive away price be?

Pete,
I priced a few on the GM Canada Website.
1SC -Base price $126,605.00 CDN I added a few options (Atomic Orange Paint) $395
It worked out to $128,240.00 CDN it would be close to your pricing in Oz.

1SD -Base price $141,615.00 with my options.
Price $143,430.00 CDN

You can still get the plane Jane starting at $60,000.00.
I will try to get some pictures if they let me when they launch the Camaro in Feb from the plant.
Dave

No wonder GM s going broke
Now lets work that out...$60,000 per gallon to protect the surface of the carbon fibre.
The price of carbon over the counter $40 per mtr or by the roll $17 per mtr a couple of ltrs of resin around $50 ...couple of man hours to make the part ...then well spray $60k on it so the sun won't determinate it. Sounds like a top exec decision to me.

Clear acrylic would do the same job for about 50 bucks
Unless it has NANO technology hhhhooo.

Last edited:
So, suppose it takes one gallon to do the entire car, then, GM could sell this amazing car for about $40,050 USD and still have the same profit/loss margin if they used a $50 gallon can of acrylic clear..... I'll take the acrylic version thanks.

It is my understanding that the clearcoat is only for the exposed carbon like the sills, not the entire car so that gallon should go much further than a single car.

I think that it is $60,000 for 1 Gallon of additive that you use in mixing of the clear coat finish. One would only use a very small percentage additive in the final mix. Maybe 2% only.

That looks a great car to me :thumbsup:

Jay is a VERY lucky individual with a truly amazing collection of cars.

I saw a prog last night, Rides? which had him at a Nascar type track in a Porsche Carrera GT (all black) and he had a mother of all spins. Started at about 190mph, 5 complete spins and NO contact....

VERY LUCKY INDEED!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I saw the same show, he was indeed lucky. He seems like a good bloke, at least on the track. No "I am a superstar" attitude is apparent.

Hey Pete

Your right with the carbon finish its a bit old hat now ,besides its the boy racers that like it.
Still the cars very nice, does anyone know if the corvette still use the transvers fibre glass rear leaf spring?

I did have a laugh when i stripped the C4 to get the parts for my DRB.I thought it was funny they used technology from the 30s.

Anyone else notice the chrome/clearcoat flaking off the lugnut when the camera zooms into the zr1's centercap? maybe should have used that $60k a gallon stuff. Badass car tho, i'm sure that it hauls major ass.

Last edited:
Back