Just looking, but sorely tempted.

I am interested in trying my first kit-cat, having spent several years restoring my 1992 GSX1100G and renovating my wife's Jeep Cherokee (OK, to be honest, just trying to keep the damn thing running). This is one of the best forums I've come across so far.

Although on a very different scale, working on the motorbike gave me the confidence to look more seriously at building a car. I suspect there is a slightly different skill-set, too. More fabrication and design and less brute strength and having a knack for getting rusted bolts off. I have access to a good work-space (I'm the 2IC of a local motor-machanic club) and I have a fairly good set of tools; enough to fill the back of a family estate and then some.

I'm currently researching a few different kits. I adore the GT40 and always have. I had a metallic green matchbox toy as a kid. I am also looking at a Lancia Stratos kit (I had toy one, too) and a Type 65 Shelby Daytona (yep, another toy). I haven't decided which to go for, but I have plenty of time before I'll be in a financial position to take the plunge. One of the biggest difficulties I'm having at the moment is trying to understand the likely final cost in amongst all the options, packages that each manufacturer offers. If anyone can offer me some ball-park figures for a road-going, completed version, without going over the top on race-performance. I'm lookng for a jaw-dropping car, but one in which I can comfortably commute between the Highlands and the southern half of England at the weekend.

Yours Aye

Stuadh

Attachments

• GSX1100G.jpg
    GSX1100G.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 183
Hi Stuadh
Welcome to the forum
I'm just starting my first build. A Tornado GT40. Adding everything up I'm expecting it to cost around the 35 to 40K mark when finished. Thats with a decent engine and spec without going completely over the top. It would be easy to double that figure if I could afford it :)

Jason

Hi Stuadh,

I produced a spreadsheet build template, the idea was to list everything that goes into a typical build and use this for two purposes. Firstly adding costs against it gives you a good estimate of the likely build costs and secondly it allows you to focus on what parts you need to collect together to effectively work on a particular area of the car. For example you might want to spend the weekend assembling the front suspension and the template will help make sure you aren't missing that vital nut or bolt etc to complete what you start.

If you drop me a PM, i'll dig it out and send it over to you. Adding up the costs for my kit comes to around £20-25k for decent spec. car complete

D.

Many thanks. I have a hundred questions, but I need to remember that I'm in no rush. Jason, the previous reply suggested £35-40K and then some. That would be outside of my reach. Your estimate of £25K would be possible and considerably lower than what I expected.

What about as a usable car? Is there any luggage-space, at all (bear in mind, I'm a biker in the first instance. I'm interested in an overnight bag, not a full set of samsonites).

I'd be interested in your engine choice and its power vs economy. One of the things I'm interested in, for whatever car I go for, is LPG. the main requirements being enough space to fit a standard spare tyre (for the fuel tank) and an extra inch or two of headroom in the engine bay for the injectors. How is it in the rain (My house is in the Highlands)?

Anyway, enough for now. I'm off to drool over some more pictures.

Yours Aye

Stuadh

Hi Studah

I'm seriously considering the new mustang engine for my build. Its not the cheapest option, but its fuel injected so economy is supposed to be good (at least for a V8). Easy to get through the IVA emissions test as well. Would be interested to hear from anyone else considering this engine.
Space in these cars is seriously limited. Room for a small bag under the front hatch and not much else. No idea on LPG. I suspect it would be a bit of a nightmare.

Jason

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Stu,
Welcome to you, even though you consider yourself as an exile in my homeland. :quirk:.

If it pleases you, let's summarise thus far:
What you want is a waterproof, LPG powered, comfortable, 1000 mile per week dependable commuter, with an ample engine bay and capacity for some luggage.
BUT it should look like a jaw dropping GT40 for under 30k.

I've found a company in Australia that makes custom sized LPG tanks. I'm wanting to get a CAV GT40, but talk about difficulties in getting the sill sizes!! No one wants to give me the internal dimensions -can anyone help? Another option is putting a detachable tank over the battery (With a insulator over the battery) and a tank on the other side. Once again if someone can give me the clearances that would help.

A dedicated LPG system has several advantages over petrol.
1. Fuel is pretty cheap (Important if you have a heavy right foot!)
2. No fuel pumps needed as LPG will flow under its own pressure.
3. Very clean burning and much lower emissions than petrol.
4. High Octane -should get slightly more power than petrol.
5. Crash safety -LPG tanks are extremely strong and much stronger than petrol tanks, so in a crash a fuel leak isn't very likely even if you get hit side on.

If anyone else can supply information on how to fit LPG bottles to a Gt40 that would be most appreciated.

Back