leaking turbo gasket

I know in our gt40's you will find no turbo's, but my other car is an xtr4 with an audi 1,8 rs engine with a garrett 4 turbo watercooled with 250/350 hp.
I have toubble with the original audi gasket and a selfmade redcopper gasket, they will blow away after 100 km and revving the engine to plus 7000 rpm.
I made extra cooling the headers by a nacaduct.
Taped the exhaust, don't use a db-killer but 90 degrease bended pipe.

What i want to do is milling a hole in turbo and the adjestdment piece of the header and put there in a pipe of 10 to 20 mm lenght.(sorry for bad english)

What is wise?

Regards,

Lucas

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Assuming you're referring to the gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold, you must have some very high backpressure in your manifold if you're blowing that gasket!

Perhaps O-Ringing the flange & turbo would be a solution, or consider going to a larger A/R turbine housing?

Don't be so sure about no GT40's with turbos. There's one (a GTD40 also) in my city with twin turbos... I'm not that brave (silly) and have gone 8 stack injection for mine, but I sure miss turbo boost kick of my old car, sigh.

Anyways, back to your problem - have you checked both the exh manifold and tubine housing inlet flange for flatness? May be warped, which gives gasket a chance to blow out.

John,
The copper gasket was melted, so an o-ring wil not hold that temperatur.
Mine manifold get red hot.
John what do you mean whit A/R turbo house.
I have got the biggest turbo that will fit the Audi .

Julian,
I did read on this forum of a twinturbo, so as i understand it is yours.
I know the 8 throttlebodys looks great, but is that the only reason why you chanche that or problems with the turbo's or the durability of the engine.
Yes every time i put on a new gasket, i check the flatness and i have a few times machined it.

I heard that a Cosworth turbo flat flanges?

Just spoke a friend of me, he put the problem to an engeneer of Musubishi.
They think, its the lambaprobe, the engine is running lean.

I had in the past cooling and turboproblems, mayby that's the answer.
I will messeur the exhaust temp.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Lucas, sorry I wasn't referring to a conventional o-ring, but something metallic like you would use to o-ring a head to a block.

Here's some new technology that I understand works very well for a drag race team who are running over 45psi boost on a Japanese motor: Helicoflex. They have o-ringed their head to the block with this gas filled SS o-ring and it works well, and is also reusable because it does not deform permanently after installation, but will retain its original shape.

The A/R ratio I was referring to is illustrated in the photo below. Turbos with a small A/R ratio spool up very quickly, but are also more restrictive to the exhaust system.

Attachments

• tturbo1.gif
    tturbo1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
John,
I cannot find A/R ratio now, because its not here right now.
Most dragsters use methanol as fuel, methanol burns less hot as gasolline, but as i saw on their website they made thoose seals of stainless steel, that will be an option.

The turbo and manifold went to the enginebuilder.
I called them this morning, the connectionplate of the manifold is not flat.
They will machine all parts and use bolds locked with wires.
Make what we called "a mom / dad connection"".

Regards,

Lucas

Back