left or right hand drive?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
99.9% of all Ford dealers in the 60's had NO idea of what a "GT40" was....officially only Shelby dealers could sell them and I will wager most of those had no clue!

Only Mk III's had LHD and they are as rare as chicken teeth.....

I vote for RHD and I have driven P1116 and an AC 428 Frua with RHD in the US. A liitle time to adjust, careful overtaking and you are fine.

Rick

Dean

I haven't got a GT40 yet, but I agree with the 'go with your dream' philosophy. There are always pluses and minuses with any decision, and it's good to hear the interesting feedback, then in the end you decide what you would be happiest with.

On the Mk III's, there are some VERY knowledgable GT40 historians attached to this forum who may have better information, but the 1967 Car and Driver road test I have describes the Mark III as having "a centre-mounted (and un-gated) transmission shift lever, provision for left- or right-hand drive, and designed installation of such amenities as radio, air conditioning, stereo tape deck, and TV".

Cheers

Dalton

Ian Clark

Supporter
Interesting post, initially LHD now heading to RHD. Perhaps the die hards come in a bit after the thread starts.

With the increasing access to tracks for lapping days and even some cars being set up for track toys only, a RHD car need not get hammered on resale.

As for driving it on the street, either side requires bike like mentality, you have to assume nobody sees you. I tend to hang well back from cars ahead for a couple of reasons: a) it's easier to see around the car because you sure won't see over it b) it's easier to blow by the unsuspecting mere mortal when you see a gap in traffic.

These are seriously quick automobiles, it's just not fair to ordinary traffic. The biggest challenge is knowing when to put the power down and knowing how much open road is ahead of you because you'll eat it up instantly.

So I say go for it if you like RHD with RHS. Good advice checking regulations first though, a huge orange triangle and "Caution Right Hand Drive" sign would mess up the drag coefficent:)

Cheers

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
IMHO there is really only one right answer.....pun intended (pic. is my build)
But, as is mentioned many times above, everyone's dream is a little different.

Attachments

• P1070050a.JPG
    P1070050a.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 481
I've driven sometimes in Uk and my only difficulty was different position of the gear shifter (the very first time..and only that)
In the gt40s usually that is on the right side too..so that will be not at all a problem.
also I agree to RHD and RHS then.
Many trucks also here in Italy had in the past RHD and that was done usually to make easier slow manuvering or passaging other vehicles.
Being my only gt choice an ex UK car(unless I will win Bingo and personally call Fran asking for the higher level gt40race car he can immagine without any budget....)..I am not so scared to drive that with the RHD,and also think historically will be more correct.
..this is anyway a totally free point in building the car,the real problem will be if u will drive that as an everyday car, but with gt40 specs think that will be used mostly in freetime.

Paolo

I have decided to go with the LHD. I know that goes against the originality thing but I think it is the right choice for me. Most of the tracks I race are counter-clockwise which is better in LHD. I also know that I always sell my stuff sooner or later. I just don't get that emotional attachment that some do to there cars. To that end, I think in the US a LHD car will sell easier. Everyone likes to look at the RHD car but in the end I believe they would choose LHD in more cases. Most kits coming into the US today are LHD. In the US, I don't think most new GT buyers even no they have a choice!

Mine is, as are my Ferraris and Lola, rthd. Once you get the hang of it it's no problem but I really can't see that it matters much on a replica. Make your self happy but NEVER get into or out of a rthd/right shift with motor on!!!

If you track yours I'd go with rthd as it's much easier to drive fast.

The one that takes a bit of getting used to is my 1947 Ferrari 166. Rthd/left shift.

Best

"Most of the tracks I race are counter-clockwise" ????

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
1149 is RHD; I didn't have a choice. Having said that, the only original GT40s that I know of that were LHD were the Mark IIIs (open to disagreement, I'm sure), and my books of old reprinted articles commented that the shift linkage, which had to do a fair bit of snaking around, was not highly thought of in the Mark III cars....there was a lot that wasn't highly thought of about them, actually.

I can get used to sitting on the wrong side of the car. That doesn't bother me. What WOULD bother me is shifting with my left hand. That's for my cell phone. Just kidding.

I will do LHD, but I am the type that needs consistency in what I do. I also think the stick on the right ledge would be a rain pain, probably literally.

I also am planning less accuracy inside the cabin, where some folks are building absolute time machines. Of course, plans change.

Back