Line Routing on SLC

Hey guys, yet another quick questions. I moved my battery to the front of the car and was curious what route others have used to supply the back of the car with juice. I see the hole in the fuel tank but, it looks too small to have heat, ac, wiring, and the cable shift pass through. In addition I'm trying to keep the hot battery leads away from the fuel cell and fuel system to avoid a weldind situation in the event of a collision (which is why I moved my battery box to the front) also what are people using to support the cooling lines front to back, I saw that Fran said P clips, but mine are too high off the floorplans or side rails to use them.

Run the battery cable with the coolant tube down the side of the car.

The fuel tank hole is designed for shifter cables and a small wire or two- don't try to run AC or heat tubing or hose through it. Or anything else. :)

Support the cooling tubes, AC tubing and hoses, and anything else you run from front-to-rear with P-clips and standoffs, or custom tubing holders made from 1/4" sheet, etc.

Thanks for the advise p-nut. Efnfast can't leave that battery next to the fuel system or it will drive me nuts, would be easier to, but I done some accidental welding in the past with my batteries.
Rockhopper

I don't mean in the crevice behind the driver/beside the fuel tank, I mean in the rear of the car. For example, by the rear wheel.

Good idea, When I got mine it was mounted next to the fuel system location. I had not thought of using the area by the wheel. So I moved it to the front already, figured it would't be too bad to run 4ga to the back and cabin with the other lines.

The only issue will be voltage drop to the starter with the extanded length of the cable.

We recommend and mount the battery in the engine bay area behind the driver.
This is away from the fuel tank, away from the exhaust and in clear space.
The cable runs are short and the proximity to the ISIS sytem is pretty good IMHO.

The only issue will be voltage drop to the starter with the extanded length of the cable.

We recommend and mount the battery in the engine bay area behind the driver.
This is away from the fuel tank, away from the exhaust and in clear space.
The cable runs are short and the proximity to the ISIS sytem is pretty good IMHO.

The ISIS harness assumes the battery is on the area Fran specified. Unless you want to modify it, it is much easier to mount the battery there.

If you do mount the battery in the front, do the math re resistance of cables by size and length so your cable will be sized correctly.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I like the front also and thats where I put mine in my GT40. On the SLC I can see a problem doing tech at the track. Opening the front of the car just to look at the battery would be a Pain in the ass. In the back all I will need to do is open the engine cover and tech everything.

If you do run it to the front. Buy welding cable. It is much better quality cable and is ment to carry high currrent. A bit more $ but if you look at current ratings you will fine that you can use a lighter size so the added weight won't be as great, for what it's worth.

Fran, how are you bring the feeds from the back into the front, where are you going through the side of car( along cooling lines into footwell area?

I recommend that the power to the master cell in the drivers footwell run through the upper left corner as shown in the picture, isoltaed with a grommet

Attachments

• P1151202 [640x480].JPG
    P1151202 [640x480].JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 318
Rockhopper, if you want a brilliant, high-tech solution to your front-mounted battery problems, just listen to yours truly.

I mounted my battery in the front. It's lithium-ion of course: they are the best. Ask any FedEx pilot!

Now, aluminium conducts electricity and the Superlight has an aluminium frame. So I just arc-welded the wires onto the lithium-ion batteryterminals and then directly onto the frame! "Add lightness!" just like the Lotus motto! I can feel Colin Chapman blessing me from his grave . . .

Well, run the circuit up the steering column, and then from the (again aluminium) driver's seat back to the engine. TA-DAAAA! All your problems solved!

Why? "Add lightness"! There is already a fusible link between the steering wheel and the driver's seat!

Bassanio et Portia :)

Back