Location of counter weight on flex plate

The fellows at quartermaster sold me the wrong flex plate for my 347 ford externally balanced engine. (ok, lets go 1 step further, they do not even know what I am talking about). So....rather than me tearing apart the engine - tranny to install the proper counter balanced flex plate, does one of me brothers out there know where wrt the say #1 crank throw the 28 oz counter wt is located so that I can just weld a new one on in-situ?

the wt can be purchased from Ian at CAV or mcleod clutches part # 560028.

I can hook up the vibration equipment and do the math to locate the wt following fundamental dynamics , but I really do not want to spend all winter around this item.

The fellows at quartermaster sold me the wrong flex plate for my 347 ford externally balanced engine. (ok, lets go 1 step further, they do not even know what I am talking about). So....rather than me tearing apart the engine - tranny to install the proper counter balanced flex plate, does one of me brothers out there know where wrt the say #1 crank throw the 28 oz counter wt is located so that I can just weld a new one on in-situ?

the wt can be purchased from Ian at CAV or mcleod clutches part # 560028.

I can hook up the vibration equipment and do the math to locate the wt following fundamental dynamics , but I really do not want to spend all winter around this item.

Quarter Master do not sell a counterweighted flexplate, presumably thats why you got the neutral one ! They DO sell a 28oz button flywheel to go with their neutral flexplate.
If you REALLY must weld a wheight on your flexplate, if you look at the weight side, with the offset crank hole at 12 o'clock, the centerline of the weight is at roughly 1 o'clock. This will get you in the ballpark but my advice would be, don't do it, there are so many other factors to consider, spacing from the crank face, obviously diameter, even the weight of your weld. The 302 block is pretty strong but it will not withstand an out of balance situation for long, we have replaced plenty of broken blocks down to crappy balancing.
As an insite to potential problems, the McLeod 560028 weight is listed for ALL Aluminium 28oz flywheels, 157 and 164, 460028 is for ALL steel flywheels, confused or what !
Mike

Yea, you are right.
Not worth it.
I bought a BandM WTD flex plate for $70.00 to locate wt properly. Then I was going to use this one a just install it, but it has the original ring gear to engine spacing so I would have to reverse the starter mods I made to catch the quartermaster non balanced flex plate ring gear.
I'll order that from quarter master - darn it!!!!!
Pull the wrenches back out.
Thank you so much for locating flex plate for me.

Just a heads up, this issue needs to be closed off.

I installed a 4.5 " 3 disk clutch in car. Quarter master does not have a wghtd button flywheel , a regular flywheel, for this or a weighted flex plate for this.

They do for a 5.5" but not the 4.5" clutch systems, so heads up every one.

I installed the B&M flex plate.

I will undo the starter mods I made.

Back