LS7 oil cooler part 2

'Ello

Having been sorted by Tom in part 1 as to fitting the next question is optimum sizing; the engine will be on about 550bhp. Plan is to mount at the rear just just in front of the left hand rear clip back panel cut out. Air flow in this area will not be as good as a front mount so I guess a (fairly) large sizing would be appropriate (I intend to fit a theremostat)

In the absense of any advice I have looked at 34 row (10" tall) by 13" wide by 2" deep (measurments are approx conversion from metric) as a start point. Also I have noticed some installations are electric fan assisted, what do folks think about this?

All contributions gratefully received

John

John, have you thought of mounting it behind the side scoop on the left? I have not looked closely yet, but that is where I am hoping to put it. I think you will get more flow from cooler air.

If it will work, I am going to get the kit from Lingenfelter that includes the radiator. I have not talked to them yet, but I hope to work out a different price leaving some of the Corvette specific stuff out.

John and J.,

As noted in my first post on the subject, I said "if memory serves" regarding the lines to and from the oil pan. Well, memory didn't serve and I had them reversed - the rear boss on the pan is the inlet, the forward boss is the scavenge line.

With regards to the cooler, I'm running a 25 row 13" cooler or (13" x 7.750" x 2") part no. EAR-42512ERL (Earls). I haven't driven the car yet, so I don't know if I will need more cooling for hot summer track days. It's possible you may want more if you are running more HP with the Kinsler.

If you are running the cooler off the pan you will need AN12 lines, if running off the Lingenfelter adaptor you will need AN10 lines. Obviously, order the cooler with suitable bosses for the fittings, as using adaptors might put the hose ends too close to the manifolds, depending on how you mount them. In my case, I ran low profile fittings for the engine cooler and gear box cooler.

Tom

ps I put a few new photos on the web gallery - MobileMe Gallery

Tom and J

Thanks for the idea's and information.

Tom, your build looks excellent, thanks for the link. Especially nice pics of your oil cooler and mount. The GD T70 looks compact and well thought out, I seem to recall that the wheelbase and track are almost identical to the GT40, originally had the same genes I guess (Lola/Broadley). One of the guys from my local GT40 enthusiasts club recently met Broadley over dinner, still sharp though around 80 ("all we wanted to do was beat Chapman")

I intend the "Lingenfelter" route but using a (near identical) product by MIH from the UK due to £ v $ conditions.

Regards

John

Last edited:
Back