Luminescent Number Panels

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where to get the panels/paint that was used for the cars' racing numbers at Le Mans this year. They looked very spooky, a sort of luminescent green. The effect was great a night. Thinking about using it on my 40 for the wow factor!

Regards,

J.P
grin.gif

Hi JP

I think the panels that you a talking about were illuminated from behind in other words
transparent body work with a light behind it.
I saw the effect you are referring to and it was very sexy.

Regards

Chris
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Try
here

Lot of the guys in my 300zx club use them to light up the 300zx panel on the back like so:

illum12.jpg

Not sure its the same stuff but it should do the job. A little ricey though...
wink.gif

Cheers,

Danny

'96 300zx TT
GT40 wanna be...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I've had a reply from Ralf Juettner [who is team manager for Joest that ran the Audi R8s]
as follows:
Indeed, the numbers on the sides are on white squares, that are electrically illuminated. This stuff is like helicopter tape (a little thicker) and has contacts which are connected to a small electronic box
(about 3" x 3" x 1")More details availble at Audi Sport.The stuff is quite expensive.
rgds Ralf.

NB:For any body who can access helicopter tapeits used to protect the blades from erosion but is also often used on high performance/race cars to protect from stone chips. Dave

wink.gif
wink.gif

I assume all panels were of the same design. The type we used on the Mallock designed and built Saleen for both last year and this was in fact a liquid crystal backlit panel and with a conventional adhesive vinyl number. Very expensive and perhaps rather inappropriate on a GT40 !!

Chris Notley.
Mallock RML GT40

Back