Malala Yousafzai - A Tragedy...Hoping for the best

Keith

Jim, Mr Hasegawa, may be a well respected historian but he is one man with an
opinion, and he like many others may try to re-write history. I prefer to believe
the main stream historians and as Veek pointed out the Emperor of Japan.
Keith sorry for the thread drift.

No worries Pete, it is to be expected given the recent history on this board, although I suppose we could re-write like it never happened.

Personally, whereas I like to reconsider historical 'new' information perhaps just to gain a different perspective on a major event, I have always preferred to hold firm to the idea that those who were actually contemporary to the event, probably got a whole better grip on it, as, at that point in time, an alternative agenda had not been yet developed and was not needed amongst the horror of it all. Nowadays a creative "re-understanding" of an historical event often brings cash rewards in research grants and book commissions as does medical science rediscovering the fact that coffee does not/does/does not/does/ cause cancer, so I tend to remain a sceptic in these matters.

If you dig deep enough into 'new' history, you may also find political motivations behind the 're - understanding' of an historical event as ably demonstrated by George Orwell's "Ministry of Truth."

Meanwhile, the reason why the Taliban shot her, their assertion that they will "complete their task of killing her" and how she is today:

Diaries of the girl who took on the Taliban - Asia - World - The Independent

Peace be unto you Malala..

PS If you ever think you're having a bad day, just remember she was "executed" because she wanted to go to school.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Not to quibble with details but when Emperor Hirohito addressed the Japanese people he stated the reason for the war's end was as follows:

..."The enemy, moreover, has begun to employ a new most cruel bomb, the power which to do damage is indeed incalculable, taking toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, it would only result in the ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation . . . but would lead also to the total extinction of human civilization. Such being the case, how are we to save millions of our subjects, or ourselves, to atone before the hallowed spirits of our Imperial ancestors? This is the reason we have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the joint declaration of the Powers."
-Emperor Hirohito radio address to the Japanese nation 14 August 1945

He makes no mention of the declaration of war by the Soviets. The Japanese had been trying to get the Soviets to broker a peace for some time since they had the 1941 Japanese–Soviet Non-aggression Pact and saw them as a potential mediator. The Soviets refused to transmit the information to the US but since their codes were compromised the US was aware. Once the Japanese realized the Soviets were not going to broker a deal, (coincidently the same time Nagasaki was bombed) followed the attempted coup on the Emperor they decided to capitulate.
Remember the Soviets had no means of invading the Japanese homeland and were not an immediate threat to their sovereignty whereas the US was massing forces on Okinawa. Estimates are that an invasion of the homeland would have cost (best cast postwar Army estimate was 500,000 worst case 2 million) on the invading force alone), undoubtedly millions on both sides.

Veek, all that you say is true, although he gave many reasons, for surrender, not just the "bomb".

I'm not sure that the Japanese knew of the agreement that was made, I think at the Tehran or Yalta Conferentce in 1943. As part of the deal to send millions of tones of war supplies, we insisted that the Soviets agreed to declare war on Japan within three months of the German defeat.

Germany ceased fighting on May 8, the Soviets declared war on Japan and invaded Manchuria exactly three months later August 9.

I always wondered why Hirohito did not mention the USSR, the Japanese people truly hated the Russians and vice versa. From what I understand, Hirohito knew a peace treaty involving Russia would mean the end of the Emperer and the end of him. I think he wanted a quick peace before the soviets took to much of Mancuria and had more say in the surrender.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Keith

There are no Japanese in the SWAT valley but a lot of dead Russians. You want to talk about WWII perhaps an appropriately titled thread in the Paddock would serve.

@ Jim. ASS U ME

Every time you do assume to know what I mean, or I am really thinking, or what my opinion really is, you do so by twisting my words or completely ignoring what I actually type.

Are you on any form of medication? Perhaps you should have a little lie down?

Keith

Nice one Rene.....

By the way, she was shot in the head and the bullet travelled down and out through her shoulder. I cannot be sure that it didn't strike bone and get deflected but I'm guessing not. This points to two equally diabolical possibilities. She was either shot from a high vantage point or was kneeling at the time...

Pause for thought.......

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
She was either shot from a high vantage point or was kneeling at the time...

Pause for thought.......

I usually don't get into these types of "discussions" but I will bet kneeling so the cowardly bastards could "dominate" her.

To paraprase John Wayne in "Mclintock", "I wouldn't shoot the guys who did this, nope I wouldn't shoot them, nope, would not shoot them..............THE HELL I WON'T!!!!!!!!!!"

They first need to have their grapes removed via rusty pliers so they can ponder the errors of their ways before they get a "George Carlin" execution (listen to his 'Back in Town" album for details)

Keith

Update:

BBC News - Malala Yousafzai: Shot Pakistan girl moves hospitals

Gordon Brown (ex British Prime Minister and one of the Architects of our national Debt) is getting involved. Good for him but I'm not sure she needs his kind of assistance as he was also part of the UK Govt decision making process that decided to invade Iraq in Gulf 2.

But as he is not campaigning for votes (that I know of) perhaps he is being genuine this time.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I sure hope these were the scumbags that did this!

By Mushtaq Yusufzai,

NBC News, and wire reports

PESHAWAR, Pakistan - Three suspects in the shooting of 14-year old Pakistani peace campaigner Malala Yousufzai have been arrested, police in Swat Valley claimed Friday.
Police said the suspects, aged between 17 and 22, had claimed the person who organized the attack Tuesday -- in which two other young girls were shot and injured -- was a man called Attaullah.

"During raids in Swat on Thursday night, we captured three culprits involved in attack on Malala,” Swat police chief Gul Afzal Afridi told NBC News by phone.
“During initial interrogation, they revealed that Attaullah was mastermind of the attack and he is still at large,” he added.

The Swat-based Pakistani Taiban refused to confirm if any of their members have been arrested, but claimed they had "dozens" of trained gunmen in the area.

'Satisfactory' condition
Malala, who was nominated for the International Children's Peace Prize in 2011 for articles she wrote under a pseudonym for U.K. broadcaster the BBC and won the National Peace Prize in Pakistan, was in a "satisfactory" condition at a military hospital, a spokesman said Friday. She started writing for the BBC when she was just 11.
Maj. Gen. Asim Saleem Bajwa said she was being kept unconscious and on a ventilator, and doctors would decide when to take her off.
"Her blood pressure is normal. Heartbeat is normal, and thanks to God, her condition is satisfactory," Bajwa said.

the world is indeed moving, hope it can hold that thought and woman/girls get equal rights in a speeding up tempo.

she's recovering very well, considering what those scary people did to her and yes, I hope she and what she stands for and all what happened since then (people dear to speak more open about all those cases and support etc)

give's her the Nobel "peace" Prize or something similar, she deserve it and can hopefully do and/or mean a lot for many girls in such countries.

Back