Manta Montage T First Build

Ive been posting with them through a friends account and they have been quite helpful. The most expensive Manta here in the states that I am aware of sold at barrett jackson for 36k it had a 355 tpi in it but it was titled as a 69 vw. I have seen others on a vw platform sell on ebay for under 10k.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks a bunch Doug. I am familiar with a bell housing the acronym just didn't click. I am hoping to use an adapter plate rather than bell housing if at all possible due to the lack of space in my engine bay.

I think you'll still need a bellhousing, the clutch has to go somewhere and I don't think an adapter plate will be "deep" enough to hold the disc and the pressure plate. I've never dealt with a ZF, though, so I could be waaaay off base...have you searched the "Powertrain/Transaxles" board here on the forum? I think there's been some info posted on Chevy to ZF....seems there are a few of our friends from down-under who might have preferred that combination, I can't recall for sure, and we have a member from AU whose forum name is "Flatchat", he produces adapter plates and might be able to help you out if Kennedy and the other stateside sources don't pan out.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/flatchat.html

Cheers!

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I seem to remember someone saying that QuickTime was going to release a ZF to SBF/SBC bellhousing.. Probably in the archives here..

Those prices are a lot more than optimistic. I think eBay will give you a better gauge on what you can expect for resale.

You may want to join this site.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mantacars/messages

Agreed, most of the vw chassis montages sell for under 10k. The most expensive one I have seen in the US was at barrat jackson a couple years ago. It went for 36,000. it had a 355 but was titled as a 69 vw.

I do post with the manta forum occasionally but there is not as much activity as there is on this site. They are very helpful nevertheless.

Hey Eric, I think the biggest problem with the pricing of some cars is people don't see the difference between a "Replica" a "Kit Car" and a "lookalike". I see a "Replica" as a car built to the same spec and for all intensions the same performance as the original car, so if the car was a Monocoque the replica has to be a Mono, the same diamentions and if parked by the original the average guy wouldn't know the difference. A good example of this is Alisters cars being built in Scotland, they are using a lot of original parts and have built an amazing Monocoque. A Kit car is the next step down and I don't mean that in a bad way, most of the GT40s are very good kits and have the same performance and handling and look like the real thing but they are generaly built on a Tube frame and tend to use doner parts for things like Brakes and suspension uprights etc. And the "Lookalike" has a body that comes from an original model but that is where it ends, They may well be on a VW platform and powered with some odd ball engine trans combo. That is just my opinion and I'm sure there are those out there who will have other opinons. The bottom line is really good "Replicas" can fetch amazing prices, Lookalikes Don't. Good luck with the BH, the car I'm building has an odd ball BH so I have made a mold and cast my own, very time consuming but some times you have no choice its part of the challenge. Cheers Leon.

I completely agree with your assessment of "owner built" cars. I am very aware of the lack of value a Manta has to begin with. In fact it is probably one of the more inexpensive platforms to start with. However, I believe a main reason for this is the lack of awareness of its history and the knowledge in general of its existence. It was basically built to resemble a prototype that never went into production. Had Mclaren actually built the 50+ cars needed they may have be much more recognized today. Of course they would also be a relatively incomplete example of the original. I personally like the obscurity and lack of value for the simple fact that I can do whatever I want to the car without diminishing the potential resale value. If it were an original mclaren or gt40 or can am car, I would be a fool to take on the restoration myself even with an unlimited budget. I dont trust my knowledge enough to do an original restoration such as the ones mentioned. But being that many of the montages are built on a vw pan, anything I choose to do with it will be a step up imo.

Most importantly though the montage in and of itself is a really cool car.

So it looks like quicktime does make a BH to mate both a sbf or sbc to the zf. It is a spun steel BH. Anyone familiar with it? Any suggestions as to a clutch kit? My mind is still set on a SBC mostly because 4-500 hp is cheaper than in a sbf as far as I have seen. Looking to spend around 3-4k for the sbc.

Hi Eric, I'd be going to your local clutch guys and have a word with them, you should be able to run a Hi performance Chevy set up and they would build a plate with the ZF centre. There is a couple of ways to go but if it is going to be a street car look for something not too aggressive, sume of the Paddle (Button) type plates are great for the power delivery but far to harsh for round town use. back to your parting coment , They are a REALLY COOL car and still turn heads especially when they have that V8 rumble. Cheers Leon.

Kennedy Engineered products...KEP...sells an aluminum bellhousing for the ZF...and they can also supply you with the clutch and flywheel

Out of curiosity, does anyone think there would be interest in purchasing hand laid fiberglass bodies of the csx-4000 series cobra made from an original mold? The fiberglass would be laid by the same individuals who created the molds and laid the first bodies back in 1997. The chassis may also be available but is yet to be determined. Price is also yet to be determined.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I kinda like them, too.

Remember, though.....

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

I'm the good looking guy on the left......

Doug

So Im feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment but I'm sure it will pass. The clutch assembly throw out bearing and hydraulics is quite daunting. I was hoping to use the new 168 flywheel and 11" clutch that came with my motor but I have been researching other similar zf installations here on the forum and have read that the 11" single disk wont hold power. Also read externally mounted hydraulic is preferred over the internal. But I will need to fab a slave cylinder bracket. No big deal but if anyone wants to chime in, Im open to opinions, suggestions, links, etc.

Also still getting an error message when trying to upload pics.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Eric - delete your cookies an flush your cache from the browser. You will need to log in again, but all should go well after that.

Regarding your clutch -
I've run a LOT of horsepower at the drag strip with only a 10.5" clutch in a 3200# car. I have a hard time believing that an 11" clutch is insufficient. A lot has to do with the type of disc and its composition as well as the clamping force of the pressure plate. I would drop a question about clutches out in the powertrain and transaxles forum about this:
GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles - GT40s.com

Thanks for the clutch info Randy, I deleted my cache and cookies reloaded my browser and logged in but still cant upload. Using the "Manage Attachments" tab to upload but still no luck, the error message does not appear but file still fails to upload.

I know what everyone reading this is thinking, this guy cant even upload pics, how is he supposed to build a car!

Been working with Dennis over at pantera performance, I see a little light at the end of this tunnel. Also found out today that my ZF is in upside down orientation from factory. Good to know I suppose. Fortunately this is beneficial due to the lack of head space in my engine bay.

Back