Mark I for Sale

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Not 1054, Fran Kress still has 1054 as of two weeks ago when I last saw him. Plus 1054 is a painted a different blue, has MK II brake snorkels on the rear deck and numerous other differences not the least of which is that P1054 is a road coupe, not a race coupe.

Rick

The front end is very early one, so maybe it`s not P-series, perhaps even GT40/101 to 112?
Or was there Production-series cars with early "prototype" front?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
IMO.................
P1009
Owned by Peter Sutcliffe.
Photo taken at Spa - May, 1966 Driven by Sutcliffe / Redman

It was dark green then.

Last edited:
Ok. So it is early one from P-series; didn`t realise before that they can be with "early front end"
The first car that was sold in "kit form" (can anyone give info about "kit form" -cars?)
In -68 it wrecked in Kyalami (Driver then M.Guthrie), rebuilt around a Alan Mann mk2 chassis; 2 years long repair, and was racing again in -69 Le Mans, DNF.

Last edited:
This car was in the San Francisco Bay area for many years. It was stored at Bennets (Cobra Manufacturer), in Hayward, CA. It was sent to Utah, I believe, for repair and resto work and evaluation as pilot for a replica. This never came to fruition and the car was returned. According to Legate this would be the resurected wrecked chassis 1009 that was eventually bought by Marc Hefty and Larry Less.

RM Auction have 1065 at the Bernie Auction October 31 at an estimate of UK£ 800 000 - £ 1 000 000 ie EUR 1 200 00 - 1 500 00 or USD 1 600 000 - 2 000 000 - this ties in with the value placed on the car at Hall & Bradfield in June too

This car was in the San Francisco Bay area for many years. It was stored at Bennets (Cobra Manufacturer), in Hayward, CA. It was sent to Utah, I believe, for repair and resto work and evaluation as pilot for a replica. This never came to fruition and the car was returned. According to Legate this would be the resurected wrecked chassis 1009 that was eventually bought by Marc Hefty and Larry Less.

The "wrecked chassis" description of 1009 in all of the registries and books may be incorrect, or at least too cataclysmic. The dealer advertising the car says that the repairs to the chassis from the crash in 1968 were little more than some new suspension pieces to replace bent ones, and he has the invoices to verify this. He also said that Ronnie Spain has reviewed "hundreds" of photos of the car and verified that the tub is original and pretty much un-screwed with, not "resurrected" from a badly crashed heap. Perhaps we might hear from Ronnie himself about this at some point, as I wonder how the commonly-accepted story about 1009 got off in what now appears to be a completely wrong direction from the facts? Then again, my #1040 is always described as "burnt out" at 1967 Monza, and that's certainly not the case. The asking price for #1009 is $3 million US. The car needs a total restoration according to the dealer, necessitated by it having sat for over 20 years. I do not have any information on rust or other problems with the tub, but certainly a careful and sympathetic teardown and examination of everything would be in order for a GT40 that is this original (according to the advert) and historic (more races than any other GT40, I think). So, who's going to open their checkbook first?

This car was sold to Peter Sutcliffe in kit form to 'avoid purchase tax' and assembled privately by a member of FAV in his garage, before being raced in South Africa. I have been priviledged to have seen the pictures of this car during assembly, it was originally fitted with Borranis.

Don S,

Thanks for your inside knowledge of GT40 P1009. Sounds like the story behind 1009 and your car have similarities in how information is reported about cars and it turns out not to be accurate.

Their sure is a difference in a GT40 needing a total rebuild due to a huge shunt, and a few suspension pieces needing replaced. It would be to the sellers advantage to make sure this issue is totally clear.......but in the income bracket that one must be in order to write a check for a GT40, the parties in a position to make a purchase of this caliber are probably well informed to this information anyway.

Speaking for myself (and maybe others here also), my mind just cannot comprehend on spending 3 million dollars for a car. I would love to have won a big lottery to place me in a position to consider a purchase in that league, but for now, I guess that are what dreams are made of, for me for sure.

All interesting information. If anyone knows additional information, please post away!

The "wrecked chassis" description of 1009 in all of the registries and books may be incorrect, or at least too cataclysmic. The dealer advertising the car says that the repairs to the chassis from the crash in 1968 were little more than some new suspension pieces to replace bent ones, and he has the invoices to verify this. He also said that Ronnie Spain has reviewed "hundreds" of photos of the car and verified that the tub is original and pretty much un-screwed with, not "resurrected" from a badly crashed heap. Perhaps we might hear from Ronnie himself about this at some point, as I wonder how the commonly-accepted story about 1009 got off in what now appears to be a completely wrong direction from the facts?

Don S.

Thanks for -right- info about #1009
And sorry for info that looks it wasn`t from true world. Then that mk2 A.M. chassis is "urban legend". Found it from book which is written late 70`s.
Better be carefull with info get from books.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
If this is the same car that was sent to a Cobra replica mfr in Utah....

I was visiting when this car was there and took some pictures of it - it certainly did not look like it had been restored - ever.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Brilliant posting

I remember a load of people on the drivers list and crawled over their cars as a kid in about 1970 / 1972 during the Bulawayo leg. I even raced against 2 of the names in the 1980's - John Love and Peter Sissons and against Tingle;s sons!

Fantastic memories

Ian

Hi all,

This is a real case of buyer beware, the story as I hear it from the UK is that the damaged tub was not sold by the last racer owner who crashed the car in 69. It was apparently removed out the back door as scrap. The current vendor seems to be trying to disguise the damage factor to what is a very badly damaged and crudely repaired tub.

GH

Back