Maximum sump / oil pan height for Southern GT with UN1 gearbox

Can anyone advise on what the maximum oil pan height can be for a SGT build without the pan extending below the chassis rails?
I know that the SGT with a ZF box requires a very shallow pan as the engine is mounted very low.

Seems like a huge cost difference in the UK for an oil pan when going from an 8" to a 6-1/2".

The 55360 GT40 pan is for small flywheel and the 55362 for larger "standard" flywheels.
Other dimensions are the same.

Looks like I'd better identify what the flywheel specification is that Mick supplied.
I wasn't aware that it may be a small diameter type as per original GT40 but better identify that before going forward.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Can anyone advise on what the maximum oil pan height can be for a SGT build without the pan extending below the chassis rails?
I know that the SGT with a ZF box requires a very shallow pan as the engine is mounted very low.

Seems like a huge cost difference in the UK for an oil pan when going from an 8" to a 6-1/2".
Mine is level with my 1in dropped floors, Moroso cobra pan, but would opt for a double pan with reservoir at the rear. Also more space for handbrake bars

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I got the small flywheel package from Mick only because I got had on a 361 transaxle that only yielded a bell UN bell housing and adapter plate. Otherwise I would have gone with the large flywheel and bell housing so I could use US based starter, flywheel and clutch. In the end my machinist says I will like how the small flywheel will rev up quicker. One day we will see!

I got the small flywheel package from Mick only because I got had on a 361 transaxle that only yielded a bell UN bell housing and adapter plate. Otherwise I would have gone with the large flywheel and bell housing so I could use US based starter, flywheel and clutch. In the end my machinist says I will like how the small flywheel will rev up quicker. One day we will see!
That all seems to make sense.
Looking at my flywheel it doesn't appear particularly small.
I'll get a tape measure on it once I've battled my way passed all the stuff in the way!

Mine is level with my 1in dropped floors, Moroso cobra pan, but would opt for a double pan with reservoir at the rear. Also more space for handbrake bars
Thanks Morten.
That rules out Moroso for me as I don't have lowered floor pans and Moroso don't seem to make shallow pans.
Seems like I'm going to have to stick with the Aviaid item and work out a way to reduce the $500 shipping charges on a $595 part.

As an aside, whatever came of that Porsche space frame you had lurking in the corner of the workshop?
Must be finished by now :)

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So you guys have it easy! you get the small v6 flywheel, clutch and starter cheap but the pan freight is expensive but still less than shipping a starter, flywheel, clutch from England to here!

Just remembered that I'll be in San Francisco for our daughters graduation in May.
Probably going to bring it back in luggage.

I wonder if I can squeeze a 347 stroker kit in as well :D

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Thanks Morten.
That rules out Moroso for me as I don't have lowered floor pans and Moroso don't seem to make shallow pans.
Seems like I'm going to have to stick with the Aviaid item and work out a way to reduce the $500 shipping charges on a $595 part.

As an aside, whatever came of that Porsche space frame you had lurking in the corner of the workshop?
Must be finished by now :)
Its still there among a few other GTs

But is the UN-1 up to that kind of power
Probably for a while.
I got two built at the same time by Chris Cole have sort of covered the 1st failure.
However, the spare isn't the same ratio and is non-LSD but will do while no.1 box gets rebuilt.

What is the 361 transaxle you've got normally used with?
I'm sure I've heard of these but can't find out anything about it.

I looked at most options on the gearbox front and cam to the conclusion that I'd worry about UN1 failures if they became too frequent.
Sadly by the time I get this car finished I might be too old to give it the proper 'full beans' treatment.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
the 361 was used in Deloreans and not suitable for over 200hp as I understood. I got a 1 piece main shaft with gears and installed in a UN-1 added the Quaife ATB. This should handle 400hp. The guys at GTO racing in Wales can supply you all this and I would recommend they build your box.

On micks advice I've used the canton one with Renault un1.15_644.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105_141947.jpg
    Screenshot_20240105_141947.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 42
Back