Mitsuba FP-3 Fuel Pump - Can they be reconditioned.

Hi,

UK based and as per the heading.

Is it possible to recondition these?

A pump working within normal limits. How much variance in noise level is acceptable?

Does a certain noise level indicate imminent failure and if so what might that level be?

Asking as I have an opportunity to purchase but wanted to check out first.

Any other information would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Why would you want one ? is just for the looks ? otherwise ?
The SGT came with two!

One's failing, I do believe, so I thought a good staring point would be to obtain another to try and also make some performance comparisons between the three.

I drove it down to the Le Mans Classic and did three track sessions on one tank, which wasn't fun.

The SGT came with two!

One's failing, I do believe, so I thought a good staring point would be to obtain another to try and also make some performance comparisons between the three.

I drove it down to the Le Mans Classic and did three track sessions on one tank, which wasn't fun.
Just to add Frank, I would prefer to have pumps that have a period look to them rather than switch to a contemporary set up.

I'm sure you will know far better than me what brands were used for the sixties cars. I've seen some period photos of GT40's with Mitsuba's as well as Stuart Warners?

Plus, a replacement Mitsuba would be a straightforward and as you say an asthetic solution.

Last edited:
Have one if anyone is interested

Attachments

• s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 44
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 43

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You're in Norway?
I'm interested. Does gt40s.com have a pm system?
clickon the avatar of someone you want to PM and “Start a Conversation”. This software calls Private Mails “Conversations“. They are truly private also..

Jay, there is a lot of discussion on this site going back more than 20 years, and each one has some valid views. I personally do not like some of the 60s ideas, my view which I have used for most of that time is that pump is far more efficient pumping rather than sucking , and I fit a pumped system at a level with the lowest part of the fuel tanks, out of site in the sills, On the GTD and the SGT this is quite feasible and , in my opinion , works so much better. By enclosing them out of site enables the use of control solenoids and rapid fuel pressure dump valves which protect against the common scares we see with the older systems. Frank

Jay, there is a lot of discussion on this site going back more than 20 years, and each one has some valid views. I personally do not like some of the 60s ideas, my view which I have used for most of that time is that pump is far more efficient pumping rather than sucking , and I fit a pumped system at a level with the lowest part of the fuel tanks, out of site in the sills, On the GTD and the SGT this is quite feasible and , in my opinion , works so much better. By enclosing them out of site enables the use of control solenoids and rapid fuel pressure dump valves which protect against the common scares we see with the older systems. Frank

Thanks very much for this picture of things.

Do you have a "go-to" brand of pump that you would fit in these circumstances?

Back